Turn on thread page Beta

After 2.5 weeks working out at home....... watch

ReputationRep:
    hi, I wanna report my exercise progress plus i need some help too!

Previous Situation: I was 'just' below average build (naturally without any exercise), but during exams I have gained weight - about 3-4 extra inches around the waist!

Current Progress
    : 2.5 weeks later today, I still haven't lost that weight! I've been doing an average of 15-20 minutes of intense exercise everyday for the past 17 days, and yet i am not seeing any progress. The trouble is I really do not want to spend like hours doing exercise because that is really exhausting.

Nutrition: so far so good, I have pretty much eliminated junk food, and unnecessary fatty food. Although I am having large amounts of alcohol on Saturday nights, which is just unresistable!

I was thinking I could probably progress doing 15-20 minutes of exercise after every 1.5 hours in the day - What do you guys think? Are there any particular time plans any of you could recommend me or any particular form of exercise or strategies to lose weight around the belly?

ReputationRep:
    go get some books on body building (sounds hilarious) and follow what they say in there.

ReputationRep:
    Current Progress: 2.5 weeks later today, I still haven't lost that weight! I've been doing an average of 15-20 minutes of intense exercise everyday for the past 17 days, and yet i am not seeing any progress. The trouble is I really do not want to spend like hours doing exercise because that is really exhausting.

You are overtraining... it is almost impossible to lose weight (fat) and gain muscle, they conflict each other... either you work on loosing weight by doing 30min of cardio rougly 2-3 times a week or you muscle build using high intensity training no more than 3-4 times a week. Your body needs to recover and build muscle, muscle is NOT built while you are in the gym, only while you rest... remember abs are not built in the gym, but in the kitchen.

2.5 weeks is a short time span, go at it for a little longer...

ReputationRep:
    What do you guys think? Are there any particular time plans any of you could recommend me or any particular form of exercise or strategies to lose weight around the belly?

Lol, you really are a greenhorn... YOU CANNOT SPOT REDUCE FAT!, no amount of cruches are going to burn that fat from your belly...

ReputationRep:
    You doing the wrong thing.

Your 15-20 mins of intense exercise by definition means that you are prob working at 80-100% of your maximum. This area works on increasing muscle bulk and explosive power. To burn fat you need to work for longer periods and at a lower intensity of 60-70% of you maximum heart rate. The reality of the matter is that if you want to burn fat then you must spend longer doing your exercise, 40mins is the recommended amount. Im sure if you can sacrifice 20mins every 1.5 hours then you can spend an hour doing some running. Listen to some music whilst you do it, or take a good book :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ResidentEvil)

Previous Situation: I was 'just' below average build (naturally without any exercise), but during exams I have gained weight - about 3-4 extra inches around the waist!

Current Progress
    : 2.5 weeks later today, I still haven't lost that weight! I've been doing an average of 15-20 minutes of intense exercise everyday for the past 17 days, and yet i am not seeing any progress. The trouble is I really do not want to spend like hours doing exercise because that is really exhausting.

Nutrition: so far so good, I have pretty much eliminated junk food, and unnecessary fatty food. Although I am having large amounts of alcohol on Saturday nights, which is just unresistable!

I was thinking I could probably progress doing 15-20 minutes of exercise after every 1.5 hours in the day - What do you guys think? Are there any particular time plans any of you could recommend me or any particular form of exercise or strategies to lose weight around the belly?
    Yeh, to start with, your diet sounds **** to me. Post what you ate yesterday and the day before please...

Secondly, with regards to exercise - 15/20 mins is not nearly enough, you should be trying to get about 40 mins non stop moderate intensity and cardio and about 20 minutes residual stuff(like taking the dog for a walk ,cycling to video shop etc)

And what were you expecting? For exercise to be a walk in the park? Its supposed to be exhausting

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nik P)
    Current Progress: 2.5 weeks later today, I still haven't lost that weight! I've been doing an average of 15-20 minutes of intense exercise everyday for the past 17 days, and yet i am not seeing any progress. The trouble is I really do not want to spend like hours doing exercise because that is really exhausting.

You are overtraining... it is almost impossible to lose weight (fat) and gain muscle, they conflict each other... either you work on loosing weight by doing 30min of cardio rougly 2-3 times a week or you muscle build using high intensity training no more than 3-4 times a week. Your body needs to recover and build muscle, muscle is NOT built while you are in the gym, only while you rest... remember abs are not built in the gym, but in the kitchen.

2.5 weeks is a short time span, go at it for a little longer...
    Losing fat and gaining muscle isnt impossible, just expect slower gains in both departments.

Hes not overtraining, 15 minutes of cardio a day is a joke really. Maybe if he was doing 2 hours hed be on the verge. Its extremely difficult to overtrain with regards to cardio.

ReputationRep:

Current Progress

you should feel exhausted after cardio exercise, otherwise you're not getting your heart rate up enough! and 2.5 weeks is nothing. i'd say do an hour intense cardio 3-4 a week and then 15-20 mins gentle stuff the other days. then you'll feel better, sleep better and see the difference.

ReputationRep:
    Muscle is denser that fat so as you lose fat and gain muscle you are not really going to see much of a change. Dont let this put you off. Things like this dont happen over night. If you keep it up hopefully you will start to notice a difference. I agree with sillynarb about your diet and exercise, you need to do more than you are alrealy
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    I would cut out the drinks for a start. Just because they are drinks doesn't mean that they are better than junk food

ReputationRep:
    http://www.teenbodybuilding.com/brent2.htm

This is a pretty good general routine that I have now completed twice (except for the swimming parts). Starts out fairly easily and works its way up and it's great if you want a simple plan, but it will also take a lot of determination.

Before you start any routine you should read up on proper nutrition or all the valuable hours you spend exercising will go to waste.
    You probably don't have the time to monitor your food consumption to the highest level (complete macro-nutrient breakdown), but eating cleanly and trying to stick to a specific calorie intake would be a good start.

ReputationRep:
    Alcohol is just as bad as junk food, it makes you bloated! You should cut that out also.

ReputationRep:
    ok thanks for the advice.

Apart from cycling and running what other Cardio exercise can I do?

And are you guys suggesting I shouldn't go running and then do like 30 press ups and sit-ups? but instead I should just run?

ReputationRep:
    but nobody should expect miracle results from just not drinking!

in the last 3 weeks i've only drunk on two occasions- one night when i went into liverpool and i had a glass of wine with a meal one night. cutting out alcohol will not make you lose weight at all (i haven't)

lou xxx
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team

And are you guys suggesting I shouldn't go running and then do like 30 press ups and sit-ups? but instead I should just run?
    be careful when running. I did 30 mins of running every other day and was working a 40-hour week. I ended up being in a wheelchair for 2 months

ReputationRep:

why don't you just cycle to work? it's free, healthy and non polluting

ReputationRep:
    Two and a half weeks isn't a long time, but you should have noticed that your exercise is getting easier. This means that you should push yourself further.

20 minutes is not nearly long enough. If you are serious, you should go for a 45-minute jog once or twice a week, and do other cardio activities in between. You could go swimming, cycling, or play tennis or football. Weight-lifting and working out on the machines in the gym will not help you lose weight, but they will tone your muscles if that's what you want.

The most effective way to lose weight is to combine cardio-vascular exercise (running around like a mad person) with a good diet. Obviously don't eat too much fat or sugary food and drinks, don't eat your meals too late at night, and get plenty of fruit, veg and water. You should also cut down on the alcohol - give up completely or restrict your intake. If you really want to lose weight this shouldn't be too hard to do, and you can reward yourself with a couple of glasses of red wine (good for the heart) on Friday nights for completing your weekly regime.

I've been doing all of the above for a month and have noticed a big change in my overall fitness. I've lost some weight from my tummy and my legs are more toned. Also, my skin and hair are a lot healthier but this could be partly because I'm a veggie - a lot of diet books recommend cutting out red meat.

ReputationRep:
    if u seriously wanna slim down ur gonna have to run/jog a lot .... i jog 5 to 7 kms a day depending on my mood and do half an hour of weight training , but ive been going to they gym for quite some time so i dont feel to tired or end up destroying any muscle . Since uve jus been working out for 2 and a half weeks start by joggin at least 10 kms a week and increase tht distance by 2 to 5 kms evey week ..... after 2 or 3 months hopefully tht will go up 30 kms a week .

buy a pair of dumbells , there a lot of excercises u can do with em ... send me a PM ill send u the excercises

ReputationRep:
    Although I am having large amounts of alcohol on Saturday nights, which is just unresistable!

?
    big mistake ... alchohol slows down ur fat burning .... dont go sober immediately but cut it down

ReputationRep:
    Alcoholic drinks have calories, but more importantly in regards to muscle building, alcohol reduces testosterone levels.

Am I the only one who thinks jogging for 45 minutes to get cut is far too much.

You could get by on half an hour a day; you actually cover a fair bit of distance by jogging for half an hour.

And who's to say that's the best cardio anyway; try swimming or skipping

And finally, if you're trying to lose fat and gain muscle at the same time( I'm assuming you want to get big/toned over summer) then I'd advise getting a punch bag. It's thd best combination of anaerobic and aerobic excercie; you won't have the greateset gains, but you will lose fat and gain muscle. One of my friends was incredibly ripped and strong, and that was because he was a boxer( yes I know boxers do a lot more than punchbag training, but at one point that's all he was doing, and got good results)

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.