Good buy? Watch

Becky_90
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Im looking for a laptop, basically i want to be able to just do all the usual: Internet, my work, pictures etc.

Ive been browsing a few websites and was taken by this one but to be honest i know hardly anything about them, so is it a good buy?
http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/product/seo/266893

Cheers guys
Alan Smithee
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Nothing from PC World is a good buy.
Becky_90
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
I was just using that link as an example, to show which laptop i was on about.
My intentions where to shop around and see where i could buy it from.
Alan Smithee
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
The spec is decent for the price, but you could do a LOT better.
r3m0t
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Bottom-of-the-barrel laptops? Look no further than Dell.
ChocolateCherry
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
OK, i was looking at that model myself as it is basically the best spec for the cheapest price offered by PC world, but people have a thing against that place on here and i wanted to know why? I know basically nothing about laptops and my dad thinks i should get one from there so if it breaks i can take it back and get it fixed easily...but i'm quite liking the look of the dell laptops. Basically, what is not good about this model, and is there a model for a similar price that is better?
r3m0t
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by ChocolateCherry)
OK, i was looking at that model myself as it is basically the best spec for the cheapest price offered by PC world, but people have a thing against that place on here and i wanted to know why? I know basically nothing about laptops and my dad thinks i should get one from there so if it breaks i can take it back and get it fixed easily...but i'm quite liking the look of the dell laptops. Basically, what is not good about this model, and is there a model for a similar price that is better?
PC World has had a long-deserved bad reputation. Their reps can rarely do more than read the specs off the cards, which often have useful or important details missing (e.g. what resolution is the screen? This decides how much detail you can see on the screen at one time. Instead they just put the size of the screen.)

They love to advertise "huge 1GB memory" and "huge 60GB hard drive" and "best intel processor" when 1GB memory is run-of-the-mill, 60GB is probably just clearing out the very last of some very old stock, and the Intel processor was certainly not the best (I complained about that advert).

PC World will take laptops purchased elsewhere for a charge, but usually you can mail it back to the laptop manufacturer, which is hardly more difficult than finding a PC World store. Their tech support isn't that great either - I've seen insider reports that they basically "spray" computers with replacement parts and hope the problem will disappear. (And then charge you for the new parts, of course.)

It's stupid to say "what's bad about the laptop" because of course there are plenty of things that could improve it, at a price. So I'll find a Dell with a very similar price, assuming you're on a serious(ly small) budget here:

OK, I'm having trouble. I've painted myself into a corner a little here. Instead of throwing away my embarrasing post, I will merely say that a little more money can go a long way. (By which I mean paying £500 instead of £400.)

Finally, I will say that even if you only do the basics (browsing the internet while listening to music and chatting on MSN) you will probably get frustrated over how slow it is, especially turning it on and off.
ChocolateCherry
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Thanks for that advice, i've actually been looking at dabs.com and there are some very competitive priced laptops on there compared with the dell inspiron series. I think i'll start my own thread rather than hijack this one!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1380)
79.49%
Leave (356)
20.51%

Watched Threads