Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    okay, so i got that leaflet come through the post with that UCAS letter, and it's makeing out that you obviously cant have a telly in ur room without the licence, but also laptops and PC's?? because they could potentially be used for viewing TV programmes. I mean is that really the case? you cant have a laptop or PC without a TV licence?? sounds like such b******'s. Surely everyone who has a laptop/PC at uni doesnt have a TV licence?

ReputationRep:
    You can have a laptop and not pay the TV licence as long as you can't watch TV on it. I have a PC that can and have no intention of paying - but I am supposed to. I'm morally object to students having to help pay jonathan ross millions per year.

ReputationRep:
    You don't need a tv licence with a pc or laptop unless you have a tv card that can be used to convert your pc into a tv.

ReputationRep:
    So, if you say just watch 4od on your laptop then you won't need a licence? Do inspectors have any right to search your laptop and see what software you have installed?

ReputationRep:
    I heard that apparently the TV licence people have to legally inform you before they visit anyway, so you could potentially just not buy a licence and then get the TV out of the way when you hear they are planning on visiting.. Don't know how true that is though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elvencia)
    I heard that apparently the TV licence people have to legally inform you before they visit anyway, so you could potentially just not buy a licence and then get the TV out of the way when you hear they are planning on visiting.. Don't know how true that is though!
    Er... no, shockingly anyone can turn up at your door and ask to come in. They don't have to inform you in advance.

(Original post by wooby)
    So, if you say just watch 4od on your laptop then you won't need a licence? Do inspectors have any right to search your laptop and see what software you have installed?
    TV Licence inspectors don't have any right to search anything, unless they have a warrant issued by a court to search your property. In which case, yes, they would be perfectly capable of examining your PC or indeed any other equipment.

On another note: a laptop can be licenced at another property (eg, your parents' home) if it is not used to watch television while 'installed' (ie, connected to the mains or an aeriel fixed to the side of the building) and is essentially portable.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.