Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering if my gcse grades (in my sig) are good enough
    because the 3 Cs bring them down a bit
    just wondering if this would matter at all?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, they're great, congrats! What unis are most bothered about (I think) is your AS/predicted grades, and, depending on where you want to apply, your w/e. Just keep working and you'll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    Your grades are fine, congrats on achieving them!

On the grades side of things, this is what I've picked up:

If you have good GSCE's:
    Well Done and Keep up the hard work!

If you have weaker GCSE's:
    Don't give up, work hard and concentrate on achieving good AS results, if its really bad consider resitting some.

If you get Good AS results (A's and B's odd C)
    Congratulations! Thats awesome but be prepared to work twice as hard to get the same grades at A2.
    Incidentally if you had bad GCSEs dont worry about them now!

If you get Weaker AS results
    If you have good GCSE's - these will help you now! Be prepared to work very hard on all fronts, pulling grades up, convincing teachers, parents and Universities that you can do it.

ReputationRep:
    You have the A*s in Science and Maths so that's definitely a bonus. Those grades are great, just work hard at AS to get some impressive grades before interview.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vet in the making)
    Your grades are fine, congrats on achieving them!

On the grades side of things, this is what I've picked up:

If you have good GSCE's:
    Well Done and Keep up the hard work!

If you have weaker GCSE's:
    Don't give up, work hard and concentrate on achieving good AS results, if its really bad consider resitting some.

If you get Good AS results (A's and B's odd C)
    Congratulations! Thats awesome but be prepared to work twice as hard to get the same grades at A2.
    Incidentally if you had bad GCSEs dont worry about them now!

If you get Weaker AS results
    If you have good GCSE's - these will help you now! Be prepared to work very hard on all fronts, pulling grades up, convincing teachers, parents and Universities that you can do it.
    If you have weak AS levels and weak GCSEs, you really need to reconsider how you're going about things- if you struggle academically you will find the course difficult and so it might be worth applying for something else but don't give up if its what you really want to do- I know there are things you can do, but I don't know what they are- you'd have to speak someone who's been through it

As long as your AS levels are good then I don't think the uni's pay much attention to your GCSE grades- I think the only thing you get from GCSEs is a ticket into college...

ReputationRep:
    Your grades are absolutely fine! Correct me if Im wrong but off the top of my head I think most unis want roughly 5 A-A* grades including chem, bio, physics (or double award) and maths. I think Cambridge is higher but the rest of the vet schools are around this sort of entry mark.

To be honest tho, predicted A2 grades count for a lot more so even if anyone falls behing with GCSE grades, work hard and convince teachers to predict good A2 results and you will be fine as long as you work for it!

ReputationRep:
    you got your a*s in the same subjects as me lol!!!! i dunno how i got an a* in food tech, i cant even cook properly lol.

x

ReputationRep:
    lol and were doing the same AS subjects next year, except different languages! except thats hardly really surprising...

everyone in our year who did a hlf decent project and is reasonably intelligent got an A or A*. we didnt really get judged on cooking skills. My teacher just had to see the cake i made and it was oK!

ReputationRep:
    I dont think predicted grades count for much, actually. Most unis don't even look at them because half the time people don't acheive or overacheive the grades they were predicted. My Dad works in the careers department of his school and he's seen so many people with low predicted grades get into courses like medicine despite this. Maybe I'm wrong though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ashlee1991)
    you got your a*s in the same subjects as me lol!!!! i dunno how i got an a* in food tech, i cant even cook properly lol.

x

lol.

I got a U in Food Tech at GCSE. All the rest were A* and A, apart from it. I honestly can't cook. My interviewers for vetmed even mentioned it. They were like "soooo not much of a cook then..?"

xD

And your GCSEs are great! Both of you.

ReputationRep:
    you've made me really paranoid now haha cozz your worrying bout your grades but they are so much higher than mine :|:|

ReputationRep:
    nah yours arre great, it was just my Cs i was worried about

ReputationRep:
    well, you lot did great, WELL DONE!!!
    i was a bit pooped off bout my B in maths, so decided to take it through to AS and next year A level, got 2 A's in science tho, not too bad.
    overall
    2 A*'s, 7 A's, 3 B's.
    i'll just have to work really hard at college...but i dont mind if it means i get into VET UNI!! (dont we all!)

ReputationRep:
    yeah the next two years are going to be hell, but i dont care if it means im gonna be living my dream for the rest of my life :p:
    sounds so cheezy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annaconda)
    yeah the next two years are going to be hell, but i dont care if it means im gonna be living my dream for the rest of my life :p:
    sounds so cheezy
    not cheezy..truth!!!!

it will be worth it a million times if we get into vet uni...i'll take extra maths lessons if i have to!!! :cool:

ReputationRep:
    I'm really glad I did the A levels I did. Even if I hadn't wanted to be a vet (unthinkable!!), they were a good solid set of A levels that I found very interesting. That's the science geek in me though!! I actually really miss Biology Favourite subject EASILY. I love it.

*gets coat*

ReputationRep:
    yeah, biology is easily one of my favourite subjects, chemistry is better than i thought it would be and maths is..well, maths. saying that, im only about a week into college, so i wont be too quick to judge!!!

ReputationRep:
    i dont think im gonna like biology much becuase although i find it the most interesting im doing SNAB, and the teachers keep going on about how we dont have to take notes because its all up on the internet but i like taking notes. And a lot of it seems to be peoples stories of having diseases etc which is kinda crap.

ReputationRep:
    Do you know which exam board it is you're on?
    I quite enjoyed ours, and enjoyed it even more when we got to A2 and I did Edexcel. Can't remember the exact names of our options we did either, but I liked most of it. Would have been happier with less plants and more disease though...but there y'go!

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Sarah_V]Do you know which exam board it is you're on?[QUOTE]

both my biology and chemistry are Salters ' nuffeild (snab or salters for short)
    says its part of edexcel or something

its quite pratical and linked in with real life scenarios and cases, and sounds really good!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 12, 2007

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.