Subjects to choose for A-levels

Watch this thread
Jenblankz
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi, I am taking as levels and I'm supposed to choose subjects by now, but I am confused. Currently I'm studying maths, Physics, biology, chemistry, english, ict, arts, mandarin and history.
Which one should I take? Which one can I take with only selfstudy? Which one is useful? I am planning to major in PPE in university.
memeeee
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Jenblankz)
Hi, I am taking as levels and I'm supposed to choose subjects by now, but I am confused. Currently I'm studying maths, Physics, biology, chemistry, english, ict, arts, mandarin and history.
Which one should I take? Which one can I take with only selfstudy? Which one is useful? I am planning to major in PPE in university.
...you're doing 9 AS levels?

If I were to choose 3 A levels for PPE I'd probably go with maths, history, and economics, but it really depends where your strengths lie; they don't have any formal requirements.
niv1234
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
Are you doing all of them in school at the moment?
Lucasta
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
English lit history mandarin
Arima
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
guys i think they mean which of the 9 GCSE subjects should they choose for AS levels, they aren't taking 9 AS levels lmao even by TSR standards thats a bit OTT
Kallisto
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
So, you are planning to study and to get a profession in the direction of medicine? if so, I advice you to choose Biology and Chemistry in any case, they are the most suitable subjects for that.
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
Well PPE stands for Philosophy, Politics and Economics...

So, I would recommend you do:

Mathematics
History
English Literature
Kallisto
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by AshEntropy)

Mathematics
History
English Literature
Oh, is that so? I was wrong, very wrong then. In this case your recommended subjects were the better choice.
username2585877
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
maths
history
mandarin
username2324315
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
History, Maths, Mandarin and Physics I'd say.
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by george_c00per)
History, Maths, Mandarin and Physics I'd say.
rosie.mn
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
If you want to do PPE, consider doing PPE subjects. Philosophy, Politics and Economics. Choose 2 from them, and then perhaps do 2 facilitating subjects, so History, Maths or English.
Its_Tito
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
for PPE I would advise choosing A Levels surrounding those 3 fields...

P - I would suggest taking Religious Studies (people think it is a "soft" subject, but many of the top Russell Group unis have it in their list of recommended subjects (such as LSE) due to the skills you learn from it, skills that are transferable to most if not all degrees and your future life in general)

P - Government and Politics would probably help here, however this is obviously not necessary. Maybe look at taking History as this can link well

E - Economics would clearly be a good choice, maybe Maths, or Physics if you find it particularly interesting
username2324315
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
o **** waddup !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jenblankz
Rep:
I mean A-levels.. I'm studying them since in my school it's a must to study all subjects?? But I need to choose which. Haha I'm not that smart to take nine..
(Original post by Arima)
guys i think they mean which of the 9 GCSE subjects should they choose for AS levels, they aren't taking 9 AS levels lmao even by TSR standards thats a bit OTT
Jenblankz
Rep:
he uni I want to go asks for 4a*, and to get a scholarship I have a feeling I might need more than that. Do you think adding biology and physics make a difference ?
(Original post by memeeee)
...you're doing 9 AS levels?

If I were to choose 3 A levels for PPE I'd probably go with maths, history, and economics, but it really depends where your strengths lie; they don't have any formal requirements.

Mathematics
History
English Literature
Athematica
Badges: 18
Report 5 years ago
maths

history *and/or english lit

*if 'or' and not 'and', something else like french or economics or further maths or any other sensibly reputable subject.
Jenblankz
Rep:
I study all of them, but it's not necessary to take all
(Original post by niv1234)
Are you doing all of them in school at the moment?
memeeee
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
he uni I want to go asks for 4a*, and to get a scholarship I have a feeling I might need more than that. Do you think adding biology and physics make a difference ?
I don't think anywhere, not even Oxbridge, asks for 4 A*...

What are your GCSE predicted grades? Which subjects do you enjoy the most?
Jenblankz
Rep:
I got 3a* in gcse (chinese 2nd language, chem and bio) and 2a (english and maths)... The 4a* is the requirement for a level not gcse...
(Original post by memeeee)
I don't think anywhere, not even Oxbridge, asks for 4 A*...

What are your GCSE predicted grades? Which subjects do you enjoy the most?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

What is missing from the school curriculum?

Basic life skills (eg. cooking) (6)
28.57%
Financial skills (eg. taxes, budgeting) (9)
42.86%
First aid skills (1)
4.76%
Personal safety skills (0)
0%
Sign language (4)
19.05%
Expanded sexual health/relationships (0)
0%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
4.76%

Watched Threads