Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Just a question to those already studying geography.. how much time do you spend in lectures etc a week? I know there is a thread on this in university discussion but i would like a more specific answer for geography.

ReputationRep:
    Hey I'm applying for geog in 2005, so can't really help you on your q, but are you applying for geog in 2005 or have you already got an offer?

ReputationRep:
    I am applying for 2005 aswell

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vicky600)
    Just a question to those already studying geography.. how much time do you spend in lectures etc a week?
    None.

ReputationRep:
    i'm at leeds doing geog and spend about 12 hours a week in lectures and tutorials (in first year)....doesn't sound like much but thats quite average....history students only get 6 hours of lectures! obviously work and stuff is on top of that but its not been toooooo hard, just dreading third year it looks like hell!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jools)
    None.
    lol, good student there

ReputationRep:
    that doesnt sound too bad.. I think i could handle that,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quiksilver)
    lol, good student there
    Lectures are a waste of time for Geography. They just give you a broad overview of topics and nothing useful for essays which would require in-depth analysis. Instead I use books where you can get a lot more info. Also you can just get the lecture notes copied from your friends. What they're good for though is the social side, getting to meet a lot of new people before/after lectures.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Jools)
    Instead I use books where you can get a lot more info.
    Still using books and not journals/papers?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    Still using books and not journals/papers?
    You still start with books, the key academic texts, to go through the theories. You then move onto journals for a few up-to-date case studies.

ReputationRep:
    At Bristol, the first years have 10 hours a week of lectures and a further 6 (correct me if I'm wrong there) of practicals.

ReputationRep:
    yeha thats what i heard for bristol

for cambridge apparantly its 7-8 1 hr lectures a week plus an hour long supervision a week then a few practicals

ReputationRep:
    hiya, manchester uni normal geography will require 5 hours a week lectures with about 2-3 extra in tutorials. not a lot really. it suits me!

ReputationRep:
    I'm at Oxford brookes doing joint honours so only half of it is geography, but i have 6 hours for geog timetabled but on of the two 3-hour sessions has been reduced to 2 hours and i only have it twice in every 3 weeks, and my other 3 hour session usually last about 2 hours...so i dont have much contact time for geog compared to my other subject! Had to spend quite a lot of time doing group/individual work out of lessons tho.

ReputationRep:
    at sheff i only have about 7hrs geog a week but i have another 3 hrs in other subjects that i am doing as optional modules.

ReputationRep:
    Hi im doing geography at manchester uni and the 1st semester im doing 10 hours a week
    (Original post by vicky600)
    Just a question to those already studying geography.. how much time do you spend in lectures etc a week? I know there is a thread on this in university discussion but i would like a more specific answer for geography.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 24, 2004

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.