Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I was talking to a friend the other day about moving into our student houses in September. We're about to start our 2nd year, and so have had to move from halls to a rented house in town. We had a lock and key for our rooms last year but this year there is only a bolt from the inside - meaning that we cant lock the room from the outside.

Im a bit worried about this coz if my housemates ever have a party or whatever, it means anyone can go into my room if I'm not there. My friend said she was worried about people getting it on in her bed (lol) but I'm quite worried about thieves etc. Do you think its wise to buy a safe or something to lock expensive stuff in? What are your experiences of living in an open house where the rooms arent locked?

ReputationRep:
    you can buy those locks for doors.. all you do is screw the big metal part onto the door ledge (on the inside) and screw a long metal part on the inside of the door!

ReputationRep:
    Remember that you'll need your landlord's permission to put a lock on the door (otherwise he/she could charge you for damage), and a really decent lock will involved you carving out part of the door to house the lock. Also, if you put locks on bedroom doors then everyone who keeps a tv in their room will need an individual license, which is something you don't need if the bedrooms don't have locks on.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah fitting my own lock on is out of the question, sadly. My landlord is a bit highly strung and we've already been getting emails from him reminding us of 'the rules' which include not installing any extra fixtures in the house lol

ReputationRep:
    Well there is the option of not having a party...that could cause quite a mess that may end up affecting your deposit, in which case put a lock on the door anyway. It depends on how likely it is your stuff may get stolen, and how much value it comes to, in which case sacrifice your deposit. Failing all this, look into the option of locking you door whilst your in the room, and climbing out of the window. May be a little hard to get back into your afterwards, having to climb through the window and all, but should deter potential thieves.

ReputationRep:
    Personally I'd agree with dumdumdumdidum, if your landlord is a bit funny then having a real 'party' probably isn't worth the risk. You run the risk of not knowing who's going to turn up, and you don't really want to cause a load of damage. If you are worried about a lock then get in touch with the landlord - if you offered to pay for it to be professionally done then I don't think there'd be a problem, although you're the one out of pocket (and it has ramifications for tv licenses etc). I'm not entirely sure but I think that locks on the doors, depending on how many people are sharing, could change the nature of the house 'legally' and so that could be why your landlord is reluctant.

ReputationRep:
    I agree. Just lock up your valuables to put your mind at ease. Nothing has ever been stolen from my house and we've had a few "parties".

Sometimes people are nosey and will want to look at other peoples rooms but just ask your friends to make sure that people don't go in your room. I guess all you can do really is change your sheets when you get back just in case. If someone knows theres a spare bed then they are likely to want to try and crash in it.

ReputationRep:
    What a stupid question. Cant believe people discuss the most trivial of things in TSR. just get a safe.

ReputationRep:
    You do know that the majority of houses that students get can't lock their bedroom door since that would mean it could be counted as a seperate place and you could get charged for a seperate lience.

Either buy a safe or simply don't have a party.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hairy_scary)
    What a stupid question. Cant believe people discuss the most trivial of things in TSR. just get a safe.
    Er chill out, its a bloody internet forum. Me and my friend were genuinely wondering what people do as we've never been in a situation where we live in a student house. Its not a stupid question

ReputationRep:
    i saw this whilst on the nusextra site... would solve the problem for locking on odd occassions, or even whilst asleep if that kind of thing worries you, as its not an actual lock... its kind of confuses me but I think this would be a suitable solution:

http://www.howsarlock.com/

ReputationRep:
    It is true that if a lock is on the outside of a door it is classed as a bed-sit which means you'll have to get a seperate TV licence as well as other strict rules which apply. (Obviously this doesn't matter if it's your own house - only if you're renting)

ReputationRep:
    Yes, it does count as a separate residence for TV licensing purposes if you have a lock on your door. I don't think it matters where the lock is, a 'lock', for these purposes, is something you'd open with a key rather than a bolt type affair on the inside of the door.

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.