Meegan543210
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
In the AS level chem specification it says: "explain why values from mean bond enthalpy calculations differ from those determined using Hess’s law."

I'm a bit unsure as to why?? So I would appreciate if someone could explain this to me, thanks
VioletPhillippo
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Meegan543210)
In the AS level chem specification it says: "explain why values from mean bond enthalpy calculations differ from those determined using Hess’s law."

I'm a bit unsure as to why?? So I would appreciate if someone could explain this to me, thanks
Hiya,

I think it's because for Hess's law it is the bond enthalpy for that specific reaction whereas for a mean bond enthalpy it is the mean bond enthalpy for that bond over several different reactions.
OneOfTheBillions
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
With Hess's law you look at the energy of formation and combustion from the elements whereas with the mean bond enthalpy you look at the energy from the bonds which is not as accurate as its different in different molecules so a mean has to be taken.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - Guildford campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20
  • Nottingham Trent University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20
  • University of Groningen
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 31 Jan '20

Have you ever signed up for an open day and then not gone to it?

Yes (136)
52.11%
No (125)
47.89%

Watched Threads