The Student Room Group

What is the most secure job in front office finance?

Obviously front office finance has little to no job security, especially for S&T but I wanna know what job in front office finance has the least risk of leading to unemployment?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by desaf1
Obviously front office finance has little to no job security, especially for S&T but I wanna know what job in front office finance has the least risk of leading to unemployment?

Imo just choose the career you're most interested and run with it. Not much point optimising for what may or may not happen in future.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Princepieman
Imo just choose the career you're most interested and run with it. Not much point optimising for what may or may not happen in future.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've already kinda chosen it. This was more just for the lols
trading if you bring in **** tonnes of profit
IBD
Original post by gr8wizard10
trading if you bring in **** tonnes of profit

Nah cos you can lose it to algo traders as technology's advancing
Original post by akbar0123
IBD

why is this secure pls?
why is this secure pls?

Always gonna need human advisors

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by samantham999
None. An investment bank doesn't NEED you. It cuts staff whenever it wants and especially those with lower position i.e analysts. With trading you HAVE to bring in profit otherwise you're not doing your job properly. With IBD it depends what division within it, if you're talking about advisory roles I guess it is a tiny bit 'secure' than s&t

regarding IBD actually usually it's the seniors that are the first to go, they are the most expensive wheras analysts essentially do all the heavy lifting and are cheap labour

and idk what you mean by it doesn't NEED you? it does need people to do the work.. perhaps not anyone specifically.. but that could be said with 99% of the jobs out there or am i missing your point?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 9
The receptionist.
Original post by samantham999
True. However no matter how could a computer is, it cannot react to volatility and uncertainty. Just look at what happened this year with brexit and the US election. You need humans to make those decisions when executing trades because an algo cannot do that. It would be w o w if it did because then it would basically be a robot lol

Actually with machine learning it can learn to deal with shocks. Lagos have taken over most of the vanilla equities and spot.
why is this secure pls?

No i didn't mean it was secure, just that it's more secure than the other roles in front office like trading, sales, HF,
Ibd
Most to least
1) ER
2) IBD
3) Structurer
4) Sales/Trading/strategy
If you want a stable job don't go into finance
Reply 15
Original post by Ladbants
Most to least
1) ER
2) IBD
3) Structurer
4) Sales/Trading/strategy

ER definitely isn't the most secure with regulation like MIFID II being implemented.

I would say IBD is most secure by far (at least at the junior level).
Original post by F4N
ER definitely isn't the most secure with regulation like MIFID II being implemented.

I would say IBD is most secure by far (at least at the junior level).

Correct re ER. There is a huge flux of senior analysts going for relatively junior positions at buy-side firms. Don't go into research for the next 2-4 years I'd say. Used to work in research.

Re IBD, juniors are getting fired everywhere at the moment. In the old days, it used to be senior guys who are being let go, but now it is the juniors as well. IBD is not the same anymore unfortunate. I used to work in IBD and, no, didn't get fired.
(edited 7 years ago)
You go there to make money; why would you care about anything related to job security. It's all about taking as much risk as possible and delivering the best performance and closing the deals.
Reply 18
You go into IBD and stay there for 2 or three years. Do you know how ****ing amazing that looks on your CV? The world is your oyster now, whether its venture capital or a less stressful mid office job
Original post by HANNAHBENLOLO
You go there to make money; why would you care about anything related to job security. It's all about taking as much risk as possible and delivering the best performance and closing the deals.

No, job security does matter. Trust me. I've been in environment where people were getting fired and I can tell you that it is horrible. Plus, you are constantly worrying if you are getting fired soon.

When you are at University, it may not matter to you, but your view will definitely change when you're in the middle of restructuring/cuts/recession. I've been there twice, not nice.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest