Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi Guys,

I'm hoping to visit Cranwell soon for OASC, and I've been doing a lot of preparation. I understand that I'll be asked, and rightly so,;

1. Why do you want to join the RAF?
    2. Why do you want a commission?
    3. Why do you want to be a pilot in the RAF? (As I'm going for pilot);

amongst many other questions.

I have my reasons for all 3 questions, which I believe are good answers too but I was wondering how other people would, or did answer these, and what they consider to be good/important factors in the response.

Regards

ReputationRep:
    So answer the questions yourself and then we'll comment Just so we know you aren't fishing!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by InaSpin)
    So answer the questions yourself and then we'll comment Just so we know you aren't fishing!
    I thought I'd let someone else say it. lol

ReputationRep:
    Very interesting question, but I'm afraid I'm not comfortable sharing those answers - I think those are some of the toughest questions we'll be asked, and I really do think it is important that people not only take the time to think about their own reasons, but that they are also able to articulate them in their own way. If you can't answer those questions on your own, you aren't ready for the interview OR the career. I'm very happy to share fact, but I think such personal answers are better kept private. I'm quite sure you have thought about it, Sam, but someone else might come along who hasn't, reads what we've all put, thinks "perfect, I'll use that", parrots it, and discovers later that, actually, they hadn't thought through what joining the RAF would REALLY mean for/to them personally.

ReputationRep:
    Seems to be a very similar post on pprune.

ReputationRep:
    Ok no problem – obviously the answers won’t be in this note form…

EDDITTED TO STOP PARROTING

3. Why do you want to be a pilot in the RAF?

Any input form anyone...?

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    Ah, so Sam RAF must be BUPA!

Answers seem fine. You have to understand that these have to be YOUR answers not someone elses regurgitated. They'll be able tell if they're not your answers from the heart.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I've posted on there too to get as much info, Mason

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Raf_Sam)
    Yes, I've posted on there too to get as much info, Mason
    At least your answers are ok, if not a little short, but you can understand why people are sceptical?

ReputationRep:
    Yer its OK - just wanted some other like-minded input. Although I do slightly agree with Theos post, its a shame we can't use each other productively, without being "parrots".

ReputationRep:
    Yer its OK - just wanted some other like-minded input. Although I do slightly agree with Theos post, its a shame we can't use each other productively, without being "parrots".
    No not really. Everyone has their own reasons for joining. For me, I get a real buzz out of working in a team - something I've had alot of experience with. That's not my only reason, I have several, but some of them I don't want shared. Mainly because they are my own personnel feelings, about why I want to join.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for you Imput guys, I think Ill delete my answers to prevent furture parroting...

D
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    The best bit is that I get to see all the edits.

ReputationRep:
    You must read some interesting stuff then BH..... I hope you have a good laugh at all our expense!! :p:

Speaking of which I just had to edit that post cos I'm rubbish with smilies....
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    Yes it can be quite interesting sometimes. :p:

ReputationRep:
    Hi Guys,

I'm hoping to visit Cranwell soon for OASC, and I've been doing a lot of preparation. I understand that I'll be asked, and rightly so,;

amongst many other questions.

I have my reasons for all 3 questions, which I believe are good answers too but I was wondering how other people would, or did answer these, and what they consider to be good/important factors in the response.

Regards
    Unsurprisingly people are reluctant to give their responses. These are very personal questions in reality that really don't stand up well to standard answers. Practiced, model answers can be spotted a mile of by the interviewing staff and are best avoided. IMO it is better to think on your feet when hit with the question. Answers sound more natural and truthful. Here were my answers that came off the top of my head at interview:

Answer: Beats working for a living.

Answer: Because it can set you up financially for life.

Answer: Because it provides excellent training in a second career as a commercial pilot.
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    Back again? Enjoy your new ban. When or if you have anything worthwhile to add to the forum then I will consider lifting your ban.

ReputationRep:
    why was he/she banned? i dont get it!

ReputationRep:
    Because they post utter drivel - just a load of facetious comments.

ReputationRep:
    On a website I read that they will say:

What precisely is your DOB?

Then go: "Which makes you how old, precisely, in years, months and days" - so beware!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 28, 2007
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.