Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey

Im still preparing the "important" things for warwick life; u know, the new mobile, beer funds, facebooking all ya mates so u keep in touch, etc.

Here are a few questions that i would like to know:
    What is the mobile network coverage is like? I suppose all the big companies cover it, but what about 3? They have very tempting £15/month deals atm.
    How much is, lets say, a Kron or Guinness at a hang-out?
    What are people expecting their funds to go to? Are people working out exactly how much they expect to spend on lunch and stuff?
    Anyone NOT in the freshers warwick facebook group?!?!

ReputationRep:
    lol i dont even have a facebook account :O

ReputationRep:
    what about O2? im thinking about getting an O2 Cocoon...would be a bummer if i found out there was no network coverage.

ReputationRep:
    I just got a Vodanfone one

£25 a month, 6months 1/2 price = £20.80 avg a month
    --> 150mins
    --> 250 txts
    --> Stop the Clock
    --> Nokia N73

ReputationRep:
    Sweet phone!

You may want to sort out the thread title spelling

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sollytear)
    What is the mobile network coverage is like? I suppose all the big companies cover it, but what about 3? They have very tempting £15/month deals atm.
    I've been looking at that deal as well. 3 coverage used to be pretty bad, but it's gotten a lot better apparently. They usually have a stall set up in the Union when you get there for Fresher's week, so you could probably assume their coverage is going to be pretty good on campus.

How much is, lets say, a Kron or Guinness at a hang-out?
    Not sure about Kron, but a Guinness was £2.20 last time I had one (about 2 months ago). Might have gone up since then, don't know.

What are people expecting their funds to go to? Are people working out exactly how much they expect to spend on lunch and stuff?
    Never bothered working it out myself, and probably not worth bothering with until you have your timetable after enrolment. Worst comes to worst, you can pop down Tesco and grab stuff to make sandwiches for a week for less than a fiver, even less if you're willing to skimp a bit. If you're looking at buying it's probably going to be about £3-4/day minimum.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abrp)
    what about O2? im thinking about getting an O2 Cocoon...would be a bummer if i found out there was no network coverage.
    The O2 coverage in Warwick is very good. I use O2 and I never had a problem with the signal at all.

ReputationRep:
    I got a Three phone (with the £15 contract) almost right at the end of the year - people have complained about it on TSR before but I really didn't notice any difference in signal from Vodafone.

ReputationRep:
    Orange is rubbish, I know someone who couldn't get coverage in their room (in Rootes) so whenever we wanted to speak to him about something we'd go throw stones at his window. Fun times :p: but avoid Orange.

ReputationRep:
    ^ uh oh.

ReputationRep:
    ah no I was thiking about getting orange sim card there was a good deal at the moment. Is it just in rootes or is it bad all over campus?

ReputationRep:
    Was shocking when I lived in AV (04/05) and all down Library Road and at the union.

Could have improved since, but people I know last year who still had orange said it was poor.

o2 is by far the best on campus coverage.

ReputationRep:
    what about T-mobile etc? is it possible some one can give the run-down on the networks?

thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hmm i'm thinking an N95 would be too nice to take to uni... may have to stick with this old N73 then :| .

To the OP how is 3 not a big company? My phone was fine everywhere on both visits to the uni, I've been with 3 for nearing 3 years now actually, their deals are very good.
    I swear the only people who actually say bad things about 3's coverage are those being jealous of the deals they missed out on.

ReputationRep:
    N95's are good phones, ive had one for a few months though cus they have good camera and **** like that! But wait and get an Iphone in October, thats the one im going to get!

ReputationRep:
    i had a 3G phone (2 infact) when they first came out...hated it. awful customer support (to this day) and i will definitely try and avoid in the future.

ReputationRep:
    Theres 3 main drinking places on campus. The union [and the multitude of bars in it], Rootes social (airport lounge or "bar") and Varsity (its just a pub). The union and varsity are pretty similar in prices and have their own special cheap nights (Monday for union, Thursday for varsity). Rootes is owned by the university rather than the union so its ****ing expensive. Their pool tables are ****e compared to the union ones although their table football tables are better since the society uses them. Its a nice place for a quiet pint though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rupert)
    Theres 3 main drinking places on campus. The union [and the multitude of bars in it], Rootes social (airport lounge or "bar") and Varsity (its just a pub). The union and varsity are pretty similar in prices and have their own special cheap nights (Monday for union, Thursday for varsity). Rootes is owned by the university rather than the union so its ****ing expensive. Their pool tables are ****e compared to the union ones although their table football tables are better since the society uses them. Its a nice place for a quiet pint though.
    I'd separate the Grad from the Union bars really. Having said which, I've never been quite sure what to define the Grad as - not a bar, not a pub, it has traces of a coffee house only with alcohol...nice place either way, but I never know how to describe it to friends.

Oh, and the table football tables in Rootes are infinitely better than those in the Union and Grad. As a Foos society member I actually find the others basically unplayable, they are just that bad. I've never felt the pool tables in Rootes were terrible though to be fair.

ReputationRep:
    I'm on Orange and don't have any problems anywhere on campus. That said, I've never been *in* to any of the halls, but around campus and in all the teaching/admin buildings my phone works fine.

My daughter is on O2 and has never noticed any poor reception, either.

ReputationRep:
    you and your daughter both go to Warwick University :eek3:

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.