theasymptote
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I'm studying Chemistry, History, Maths and Further Maths at AS level and would love to study Maths at Cambridge. Aside from good A level grades I'm just wondering what else would help me get in... I play the piano and in my GCSEs I got 9A*s and 2As. Any comments would be appreciated! Thanks!
HopelessMedic
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by theasymptote)
I'm studying Chemistry, History, Maths and Further Maths at AS level and would love to study Maths at Cambridge. Aside from good A level grades I'm just wondering what else would help me get in... I play the piano and in my GCSEs I got 9A*s and 2As. Any comments would be appreciated! Thanks!
For Maths at Cambridge you need A*A*A and usually 1,1 In STEP 2 and 3 iirc. The first part is usually easy for most applicants, but STEP is much more difficult. EC's won't help your application, perhaps you could enter some Maths tournaments ( UKMT, Bmo etc) which would strengthen your PS. Also have a look at STEP 1 problems to give you an idea of level of difficulty.

Around half of Maths offer holders miss their offer, largely due to STEP, so it is a lot harder to meet the offer than to obtain one.
Danny the Geezer
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
There is no secret formula strong app/reference, GCSEs/ predicted will get you into most top Unis and Oxbridge aren't like otherworldly like some people make out
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Simply maths, and more maths.

You will need to do STEP if you get an Offer. It's a bit early to be worrying about it but have a look at the STEP Prep thread for some insights on what is involved:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...rimary_content
alcibiade
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Beyond the grades, you need to be the kind of person that tutors would want to work with. That translates into following your passion, doing something extra in maths on your own (i.e. not just schoolwork), something that will make you stand out and that admissions tutors can engage you on.

My daughter read archaeology at Cam. From the age of 16, and with no impetus from us (her parents), she began to read about the historical Jesus in real academic texts, including an entire book on the use of the Bible in archaeology. She also did 2 archeo internships in Israel in addition to a number of others in France. At interview, they talked at length about all these things, pushing her to the limits of her knowledge in them.
Rockyboy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
how to get into Cambridge??? Well, i guess you just have to travel and sneak in
Spoiler:
Show

Trolling, Most unis look at predicted/GCSE grades. Your personal statement and teacher reference plays a big part too
theasymptote
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by alcibiade)
Beyond the grades, you need to be the kind of person that tutors would want to work with. That translates into following your passion, doing something extra in maths on your own (i.e. not just schoolwork), something that will make you stand out and that admissions tutors can engage you on.

My daughter read archaeology at Cam. From the age of 16, and with no impetus from us (her parents), she began to read about the historical Jesus in real academic texts, including an entire book on the use of the Bible in archaeology. She also did 2 archeo internships in Israel in addition to a number of others in France. At interview, they talked at length about all these things, pushing her to the limits of her knowledge in them.
Thank you this was really helpful. I'm just curious as I'm seeing those interested in other courses such as law, medicine and the humanities attend lectures and go to courses at universities. I've completed the UKMT maths challenge but wonder if there are any other enrichment activities focussed around Maths.
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Thank you this was really helpful. I'm just curious as I'm seeing those interested in other courses such as law, medicine and the humanities attend lectures and go to courses at universities. I've completed the UKMT maths challenge but wonder if there are any other enrichment activities focussed around Maths.
Doing hard maths is all you need. So UKMT is definitely a good thing.

Maybe in due course look at MAT.

Join that STEP prep thread and ask the experts there.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (55)
22.36%
Excited but a bit nervous (112)
45.53%
Not bothered either way (33)
13.41%
I'm really nervous (46)
18.7%

Watched Threads