Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm not going to post this anonymously and go through the whole "should it be anonymous,or should it not" wait.I need answers now!
    Basically I havent saved any money this holiday because I needed to buy things and I now have literally nothing.I am going back to uni in two weeks and I will only recieve £87 a month from my loan.My parents are paying for my accomodation so thats ok.
    I can't survive on £87 a month,that is about £20 per week.I would really struggle.I desperately need a part time job.I have applied for some jobs last week and will continue to apply for some more but what if I dont get a job?Finding a job is so hard especially for me and my emplyment history.I am really really panicking that I am going to be left unemplyed and with only £20 a week and I don't want to go into my overdraft more than I already have!
    My parents won't support me because I should be independant and I am really bricking it now.I'm so worried.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Have you thought about going to a temp agency? They were really helpful and I managed to get a job quickly for a few weeks before I go back to uni, so I'll have some money to live on when I go back. All I had to do was go in and tell them I wanted a job for a few weeks, I didn't have to have an interview at the place I went to or anything. The only thing I had to do was a computer test on Microsoft word and excel, but they gave me that after they had arrange me a job. Might be worth a try, look in the phone book for temp agencies - there'll probably quite a few different ones you could try. Also, if you can play a musical instrument busking is always a good bet. I've made £60 in 2-3 hours before now so it's quite handy if you're really stuck.

Also, maybe you could try talking to your parents and explain your situation. If you make it obvious to them that you are trying as hard as you can to look for a job then they might be a bit more understanding. I hope things improve for you.

ReputationRep:
    Most universities have a hardship fund for students that are struggling, I dont know about your uni but at mine its around £500... that could help in the short term but apart from that just keep applying for jobs, one's bound to come up sooner or later

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by upagumtree)
    I'm not going to post this anonymously and go through the whole "should it be anonymous,or should it not" wait.I need answers now!
    Basically I havent saved any money this holiday because I needed to buy things and I now have literally nothing.I am going back to uni in two weeks and I will only recieve £87 a month from my loan.My parents are paying for my accomodation so thats ok.
    I can't survive on £87 a month,that is about £20 per week.I would really struggle.I desperately need a part time job.I have applied for some jobs last week and will continue to apply for some more but what if I dont get a job?Finding a job is so hard especially for me and my emplyment history.I am really really panicking that I am going to be left unemplyed and with only £20 a week and I don't want to go into my overdraft more than I already have!
    My parents won't support me because I should be independant and I am really bricking it now.I'm so worried.
    Do you have a savings account you can draw from? Think of where you might have money stored.

Check out www.cex.co.uk and trade in some DVDs/games/consoles if you have them. I considered this for a bit when I was in a similar situation.

20 quid can be made to last a week. Buy a loaf of bread, some butter, and some marmite (or spread of your choice) - shouldn't cost you more than a fiver - and with good planning you can survive on that for a week. Alternatively, just buy tinned soup and ration yourself to two meals of half a tin a day. Soup costs about 70p each, so 4.90 for a week.

Check what you have in your freezer (if anything). Live on frozen chips for a while (yup, I've done this, not half bad either ).

Thing is, if you step back from your situation and have a look at it, with a bit of self-disclipline 20 quid can last you a week. It's not the most comfortable or varied lifestyle, though, but it works until you find a job. :rolleyes:

EDIT: If you have to buy stuff, try secondhand stores, one pound shops, oxfam/charity shops etc. If it's paper & pens you need, they do cost a bit though. Shop around if you can. One pound shops in particular often sell surplus of stuff like that.

ReputationRep:
    Can't you plead with your parents..........i'm sure if you can't find a job they may change their minds.

ReputationRep:
    Also.. get yourself a student account with a interest free overdraft, that could tide you over until you find a job

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry to hear about this. I suggest you BEG your parents to help you Take it out like a loan. Once you graduate or get a job you can pay them back.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Overdraft is a good idea, so is temping. The other day (on this forum, I think), I read that someone had sold a load of stuff from her bedroom, that they didn't need anymore, on eBay - apparently she made quite a lot from it. Also, can't you get a job at uni? And why didn't you get a job earlier on in the summer? [A genuine question, I'm not trying to be *****y.]

I know this won't sound very helpful but I think you should be really grateful that your parents are paying for your accomodation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jelkin)
    Overdraft is a good idea, so is temping. The other day (on this forum, I think), I read that someone had sold a load of stuff from her bedroom, that they didn't need anymore, on eBay - apparently she made quite a lot from it. Also, can't you get a job at uni? And why didn't you get a job earlier on in the summer? [A genuine question, I'm not trying to be *****y.]

I know this won't sound very helpful but I think you should be really grateful that your parents are paying for your accomodation.
    Oh god I am so grateful I dont have to pay for my accomodation :p: .unfortunately they just cant afford to keep giving me money to live as well as pay my rent for me.

As for the summer job,I had one but I had to give it up.Its a long story that I dont really want to get into but I dont regret leaving because there's no point.

ReputationRep:
    I survived on £10 a week this year, I paid my own accommodation, stop being such a whining little pussy and get a job you lazy git.

They are paying for your accommodation what more do you want? I am only getting £20 a week after I for my accommodation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kirstinx)
    They are paying for your accommodation what more do you want? I am only getting £20 a week after I for my accommodation.
    I don't expect them to give me money.I'm more worried that I'm never going to be offered a job no matter how hard I look.

ReputationRep:
    To the people (well, person really) who are whining: **** off and leave her alone, get off your high horses and offer some advice - I'm sure you're full of it if you're surviving on 20 a week too. Advice doesn't cost a penny, quit venting and being bitter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crimson Black)
    To the people (well, person really) who are whining: **** off and leave her alone, get off your high horses and offer some advice - I'm sure you're full of it if you're surviving on 20 a week too.
    Its ok,I'm not really bothered about him.:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    As others have pointed out, this isn't exactly a disaster and you can easily survive on £20 a week. Crimson Black's post in particular is an excellent one.

ReputationRep:
    I don't expect them to give me money.I'm more worried that I'm never going to be offered a job no matter how hard I look.
    mcdonalds are always hiring

Or are you too good for mcdonalds, seeing as how your parents pay your accomodation. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Yea, people are being a tad harsh... if you still havent found a job by the time you get to there, go speak to your student support service at your university, they usually advertise student jobs and can offer advice etc to people who are running low on funds

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thud)
    mcdonalds are always hiring

Or are you too good for mcdonalds, seeing as how your parents pay your accomodation. :rolleyes:
    :rolleyes: I think even I'd draw the line at McDonalds.I have no money but i've got some dignity.

ReputationRep:
    :rolleyes: I think even I'd draw the line at McDonalds.I have no money but i've got some dignity.
    "Or are you too good for mcdonalds"

I rest my case.

I hope you starve and end up on the streets selling your body for food.

ReputationRep:
    Yes your situation sucks. I am as poor as hell too. Majorly into my overdraft. My job barely covers my rent.

But you won't even apply for Maccy D's? Jebus, just get applying to anywhere! You can't afford to be that picky if you are desperate for money!

Good luck finding a job

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 27, 2007
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.