Is anyone else 18+ starting a levels this yr? Watch

vixky!
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Anyone at all?

I'm 19. Please say I am not the only one.
-G-a-v-
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
You won't be. People of all ages take A-levels.
~Kirsty~
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
If you go to a local college you may find lots of mature students too so don't worry.
the_amazing_me
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I was 19 when I went back to college and did 2 years of A Levels. The main thing I will say is please have patience with those who are 16. They are (most probably) fresh from school and think they are very grown up, but will be very irritating. I am not saying this to be rude, and of course there will be those who are more mature and you wouldn't realise they are only 16. Those 3 years make a huge difference though. It will get easier, but sometimes you just need to bite your tongue and ignore some of the stupidity.

Things will most likely settle down by Christmas when the majority realise that sitting at the back of the class laughing and giggling really doesn't get you anywhere. My college had a fantastic Student Support group and my lecturers and personal tutor were all just brilliant and it was so easy to talk to them, even if it was to get some frustration out. They understand completely what you will be feeling as they have to teach them!

Enjoy it and have fun. I made some great friend's who are still only just turning 18. If anything, better friend's than the first time.
twinkle.twinkle
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I just turn 18 when I start mine in September. I'm doing phsycology, history or RE, english lit and citizenship.
Militia
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I'm 18 and going into my 2nd year..

At my college, there are people of all ages there's even a 73 year old man in the AS German class :p:
vixky!
Rep:
?
(Original post by the_amazing_me)
I was 19 when I went back to college and did 2 years of A Levels. The main thing I will say is please have patience with those who are 16. They are (most probably) fresh from school and think they are very grown up, but will be very irritating. I am not saying this to be rude, and of course there will be those who are more mature and you wouldn't realise they are only 16. Those 3 years make a huge difference though. It will get easier, but sometimes you just need to bite your tongue and ignore some of the stupidity.

Things will most likely settle down by Christmas when the majority realise that sitting at the back of the class laughing and giggling really doesn't get you anywhere. My college had a fantastic Student Support group and my lecturers and personal tutor were all just brilliant and it was so easy to talk to them, even if it was to get some frustration out. They understand completely what you will be feeling as they have to teach them!

Enjoy it and have fun. I made some great friend's who are still only just turning 18. If anything, better friend's than the first time.
yeah, I remember how I was when I left school & started a levels the first time. but oh well, I guess it will be... interesting?

thanks for the advice.
the_amazing_me
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Vicky88)
yeah, I remember how I was when I left school & started a levels the first time. but oh well, I guess it will be... interesting?

thanks for the advice.
Interesting is definitely one way of putting it!
Cool.Zero
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
i started IB diploma at age 15... don't worry there's a dumbass in this school nearby who is 21
JUSTME1
Report 11 years ago
Im 18 and starting this september. I already know someone who will be studying with me and shes 19,so no your not the only one
as cruel as school children
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I am 19, starting today!
hermaphrodite
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
no i'm not. but i assume ur at a college. cos ur 19 do u have to pay everything urself. or does the state fund you. if u do pay how much does it cost per annum to study a levels at college
RaggedProse
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
My boyfriend is 19 and he's just embarking on a 3 year part time A Level course, he's really excited.

I'm sure it'll work out fine. You've got the benefit of being that bit more mature and disciplined so it'll be easier for you to do well. Good luck
x
schutz
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Im 19 but i chose a access course instead, reason being its only 1 year and i dont have to be surrounded by children who have the maturity of a piece of crap down my toilet. And if you pass a Access course you have to be accepted by the universities that allow access courses (generally all of them) with it only being 1 year its alot better, gotta do a 6000 word project soon though and a oral presentation of it! so far its much better than when i did a-levels, kids were everywhere in my class (when i was one myself) and the general feeling was that they just wanted to have fun and not actually learn. Good luck
Chana
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
My friend turned 18 during the summer and has just started her AS's.

On my BTEC course (1st of 2 years), there is a 25 year old and a 45 (I think), who happens to be the 25 year olds mum.
vixky!
Rep:
?
(Original post by hermaphrodite)
no i'm not. but i assume ur at a college. cos ur 19 do u have to pay everything urself. or does the state fund you. if u do pay how much does it cost per annum to study a levels at college
No I get it free. If you're over 19 but have not completed the level (in my case, level 3) qualification before, you don't have to pay.

(Original post by schutz)
Im 19 but i chose a access course instead, reason being its only 1 year and i dont have to be surrounded by children who have the maturity of a piece of crap down my toilet. And if you pass a Access course you have to be accepted by the universities that allow access courses (generally all of them) with it only being 1 year its alot better, gotta do a 6000 word project soon though and a oral presentation of it! so far its much better than when i did a-levels, kids were everywhere in my class (when i was one myself) and the general feeling was that they just wanted to have fun and not actually learn. Good luck
Oh! My college offered me that option... I went with A Levels because it seemed the more "logical" step to take, since everyone my age did them.

My tutor said I can change within the first few weeks if I hate A levels so I might do. It sounds rather appealing from your post tbh!
proper jimbo
Report 11 years ago
hey, im 18 and turn 19 in december, doing my first yr, there are about 3 18 yr old people in my class, and most of them are like 17 already, i have so much fun with them they didnt no i was older wen i said i drive. yeh but i feel alot younger now lol silly thought really
hermaphrodite
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by vixky!)
No I get it free. If you're over 19 but have not completed the level (in my case, level 3) qualification before, you don't have to pay.
oh right. i always assumed the state stopped funding you at 19 plus for a levels. (just like you have to pay for dentist, optician at 19+ even if ur in education ....(but at 17,18 u still got it for free if u were in education FT))
vixky!
Rep:
?
(Original post by proper jimbo)
hey, im 18 and turn 19 in december, doing my first yr, there are about 3 18 yr old people in my class, and most of them are like 17 already, i have so much fun with them they didnt no i was older wen i said i drive. yeh but i feel alot younger now lol silly thought really
I think my problem is that I've been in and out of education for 3 years and I've spent all that time with adults so 17 year olds just seem to act like 5 years old to me... even though they aren't. I need to learn to relax a bit lol!
vixky!
Rep:
?
(Original post by hermaphrodite)
Oh right. A always assumed the state stopped funding you at 19+ for A levels. (just like you have to pay for dentist optician at 19+ even if your in education... but at 17/18 you still got it for free if you were in education)
I thought that too but my college told me I didn't have to pay... so I didn't argue.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of the Arts London
    MA Design: Ceramics, Furniture or Jewellery Open Day Postgraduate
    Fri, 25 Jan '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Experience Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19

Do you think the internet has made political discussion more aggressive?

Yes (54)
98.18%
No (1)
1.82%

Watched Threads