Turn on thread page Beta

I'm 25 now and have never had sex. And yet, even though I wanted it all the time when I was an adolescent, I'm really not that interested in it now. Relationships seem like loads of hassle and stress. Is there really anything wrong with just getting on with life and ignoring the whole sex thing?

ReputationRep:
    Nothing wrong with that, I suppose. Can't really imagine it myself!
    Do you not want a family and kids eventually?

ReputationRep:
    Nope, its your life if you dont feel like your missing out on anything then dont worry about it... although relationships can cause alot of stress and hassle I think once you've found someone who makes you happy then its very worthwhile

ReputationRep:
    Until i met my gf i thought the same... i mean i fancied girls etc but my focus remained on just having a good time with freinds, working hard to get to uni didnt want a relationship etc... but now im so glad things changed !

ReputationRep:
    Thats a fair enough view to have and if you are happy with it, then maybe it will work for you.

However as someone else mentioned, do you want a family? Also, if you meet the right person your feelings and ideas might change. Best to keep an open mind I suppose.

ReputationRep:
    As randomgirl said i would keep an open mind; don't pursue it, but don't completely rule out being with someone really nice either. If it happens it happens, if it doesn't it doesn't.

ReputationRep:
    Relationships are a lot of time and hassle but just because a relationship takes up time doesn't mean it's time wasted. It's usually time well spent and the occasional hassle is a small price to pay generally.

Sex as just sex, nothing more, is nice on occasion (not that I'm someone who does that often, if at all) so I'd say you're missing very little if you're saying to yourself "I'm not going to go out and just go home with anyone purely so I'm no longer a virgin", sex for that reason wouldn't be worth it in all honesty.

I wouldn't adopt the mindset "I'm missing nothing" though, because there's more to sex than just a surge of dopamine and seratonin at the end. If you're with someone you like it's the connection and feeling of closeness which is as good, if not better, than the 'Shazam!' moment.

I'm sure almost everyone has a "It was more hassle than it was worth" relationship in their past but just like a flat tyre doesn't stop you from ever driving a car again (what a terrible metaphor!), the thought "But it might turn out sour" shouldn't be a justification for avoiding forming bonds with people. Otherwise noone would talk to anyone else since sometimes friends annoy friends.

In vague summary, relationships and the sex which (usually) comes with them are worth it in the long run. You don't have to go dropping your trousers for sex just for the sake of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I'm 25 now and have never had sex. And yet, even though I wanted it all the time when I was an adolescent, I'm really not that interested in it now. Relationships seem like loads of hassle and stress. Is there really anything wrong with just getting on with life and ignoring the whole sex thing?

i'm not just talking about sex, but what do you live for? Without relationships with other people life seems pointless to me

friends are the most important thing in the world imo.

ReputationRep:
    nah, there are more important things!
    like money

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mermania)
    nah, there are more important things!
    Linux programming and World of Warcraft :p:

(Original post by goodmen)
    i'm not just talking about sex, but what do you live for? Without relationships with other people life seems pointless to me

friends are the most important thing in the world imo.

Apart from my friends, I like my job, watching comedy, astronomy and weight training. My weight training target is to get to 100kg at 10% BF (I'm currently 81kg at 10% BF). This should take a few years to acheive, and this is what I live for on a day to day basis.

ReputationRep:
    Lol well I suppose if you've never had the whole relationships/sex package then its not something you would miss as you never knew what it was like in the first place... but if you feel the urge to have a relationship etc then dont turn it down because it can be a very good thing

(Original post by AlphaNumeric)
    Finally I found someone like minded! </joke>

Good thing I don't like these things otherwise I would be a bit of a cliche...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blackswan)
    One night stands then if you just want sex.
    What annoys me is how there is so much hype around the whole sex issue, if you don't want it, or don't have anyone then don't worry so much about it, there is more to life than teh sexy time.
    of course there is more to life than sex, but most people think it's very very important these days

ReputationRep:
    Relationships are a lot of time and hassle but just because a relationship takes up time doesn't mean it's time wasted. It's usually time well spent and the occasional hassle is a small price to pay generally.

Sex as just sex, nothing more, is nice on occasion (not that I'm someone who does that often, if at all) so I'd say you're missing very little if you're saying to yourself "I'm not going to go out and just go home with anyone purely so I'm no longer a virgin", sex for that reason wouldn't be worth it in all honesty.

I wouldn't adopt the mindset "I'm missing nothing" though, because there's more to sex than just a surge of dopamine and seratonin at the end. If you're with someone you like it's the connection and feeling of closeness which is as good, if not better, than the 'Shazam!' moment.

I'm sure almost everyone has a "It was more hassle than it was worth" relationship in their past but just like a flat tyre doesn't stop you from ever driving a car again (what a terrible metaphor!), the thought "But it might turn out sour" shouldn't be a justification for avoiding forming bonds with people. Otherwise noone would talk to anyone else since sometimes friends annoy friends.

In vague summary, relationships and the sex which (usually) comes with them are worth it in the long run. You don't have to go dropping your trousers for sex just for the sake of it.
    so damn true :rolleyes: , yeh is exactly how I feel on this!

ReputationRep:
    I've started to find that my hand is becoming a far better lover. Maybe I've just been sleeping with the wrong girls?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HagerVor)
    I've started to find that my hand is becoming a far better lover. Maybe I've just been sleeping with the wrong girls?
    sometimes, if all you want is an orgasm, that is definately the way to go, you don't have to stay awake talking about rubbish afterwards.

sex is just sex.
    everyone has higher/lower sex drives and if your's is non existant then so what? and relationships really aren't worth the hassle in most cases either.

as long as you enjoy life that's all that matters

ReputationRep:
    reproduction is your purpose

ReputationRep:
    Its easier said than done.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 27, 2007
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.