Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    How exactly does wireless internet work at university? I know at the uni I'll be going to you can get wireless internet in the library and some other places... do you actually need to connect to anything or can you just go into Internet Explorer and you'll be connected?

ReputationRep:
    You usually have to register the machine you want to connect with the IT Services Department (usually in some form linked to the Library).
    They will then usually give you instructions on how to set it up.
    But then once it is setup, you just tell the computer to connect (it might do it automatically), then open up Internet Explorer and off you go.

ReputationRep:
    Your laptop must be wireless enabled.... if it doesn't, then youll have to buy a network interface card (about £20 i think)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mrcrazy04)
    You usually have to register the machine you want to connect with the IT Services Department (usually in some form linked to the Library).
    They will then usually give you instructions on how to set it up.
    But then once it is setup, you just tell the computer to connect (it might do it automatically), then open up Internet Explorer and off you go.
    Okay, that sounds simple enough. Thanks!
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    You may not need to register, but will need to contact IT services for the password/setup instructions. I think ours they need to register the machine in certain areas of the uni, but in other more communal areas such as the coffee shop, you can easily log in with the guest account settings and the instructions from IT.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Kirsty~)
    You may not need to register, but will need to contact IT services for the password/setup instructions. I think ours they need to register the machine in certain areas of the uni, but in other more communal areas such as the coffee shop, you can easily log in with the guest account settings and the instructions from IT.
    Ah, that's a bit similar to what we had at school - though obviously that was just on the computers they provided. Thanks for your help!
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    My uni isn't centrally located for the city, so it hasn't to worry about random people using it for illegal purposes... Only really students/visitors that can wander in and use it! Your best to ask at the IT services/help desk within your uni.. or email them before you start...hehe!

ReputationRep:
    My uni isn't centrally located for the city, so it hasn't to worry about random people using it for illegal purposes... Only really students/visitors that can wander in and use it! Your best to ask at the IT services/help desk within your uni.. or email them before you start...hehe!
    My uni isn't really either. I think I will email them about it, they should be able to help.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Mine usually email me their helpguide for whatever i emailed them about!

ReputationRep:
    Ours works using bluesocket. So when you have a laptop or computer and try and get on the wireless it automatically takes your browser to a page where you need to put in your university computer ID and password to log into the wireless

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iTalya)
    Ours works using bluesocket. So when you have a laptop or computer and try and get on the wireless it automatically takes your browser to a page where you need to put in your university computer ID and password to log into the wireless
    Or it tries to; didn't always work with my old laptop (time outs in certain buildings).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swiftuk)
    Or it tries to; didn't always work with my old laptop (time outs in certain buildings).
    Only when the signal is too weak (to be expected from any wireless network)

Do most unis have wireless on campus now?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    i imagine so - ours got it around 2 years ago and we are only a small uni (4000 students) I think glasgow caledonian uni is fully wireless!

ReputationRep:
    Just to be clear - all I need for is for my latop to be wireless enabled and then I should be set to go at uni? Nothing extra needed?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I doubt it. You may need to inform your IT services of your intention to use the network - your card may need registering with them or something like that. I remember at our uni, the 'wired' not wireless wouldn't work unless mcaffee internet security was disabled (virus protection on its own was fine).

ReputationRep:
    I doubt it. You may need to inform your IT services of your intention to use the network - your card may need registering with them or something like that. I remember at our uni, the 'wired' not wireless wouldn't work unless mcaffee internet security was disabled (virus protection on its own was fine).
    Okay - but the laptop doesn't need anything extra, I mean I don't need to buy anything else for it to work at uni?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Not that i know of.

ReputationRep:
    Not that i know of.
    Okay, thanks for all your help!

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.