Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    first of all I wanna say sorry, because I guess, I'm not the only one, who asks this... and I guess it makes you nervous So... I wanna study math in UK, but actually I don't know which unis to choose :confused: I thought about Leeds and Manchester. What do you think about these unis? I have all those rakings and subject tables, but actually they dont say a lot to me :rolleyes: any suggestions?
    P.S. it would be great to meet ppl who are already studying math write me PM
    P.S.S. sorry for my english I know that it's not perfect actually it's far away from that, but I have time to make it better :cool:

ReputationRep:
    I don't care much about how good/bad you're at English, you can make as many mistakes as you want, but please just don't call maths "math" :P.

And it really depends on what type of University you're aiming for I think. Do you want to go to like the top of the top, the top or medium ones? Also, do you want to go to one which has a good world reputation or a good maths reputation? What exactly do you look for in a University? Does the location matter much?

ReputationRep:
    haha it won't be easy, because in our language we say without 's' and I'm used to it :rolleyes: huh... about oxbridge I'm not even dreaming I'm thinking about medium universities

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vasara)
    haha it won't be easy, because in our language we say without 's' and I'm used to it :rolleyes: huh... about oxbridge I'm not even dreaming I'm thinking about medium universities
    What exam are you taking? (A-levels? International baccalaureate?...) What sort of grades gave you got?

ReputationRep:
    huh, so much questions but is it so important? our education systems are very different :rolleyes: ok, i have 10s in all subjects, I'm really good at mathematics (I guess, I will pass this exam over 95%), I won some prizes in olympiads... isn't it enough? By the wat, this year I'm gonna finish gymnasium...:p:

ReputationRep:
    huh, so much questions but is it so important? our education systems are very different :rolleyes: ok, i have 10s in all subjects, I'm really good at mathematics (I guess, I will pass this exam over 95%), I won some prizes in olympiads... isn't it enough? By the wat, this year I'm gonna finish gymnasium...:p:
    Of course it's important, you can only get into a good uni if you have good grades.

That sounds quite impressive. You should apply to the best unis namely:
    Cambridge/Oxford (you can only chooe one of them), Warwick, Imperial, Bristol, UCL...

ReputationRep:
    I won't be able to go to the interview if they will ask I know that oxbridge need interview, but I'm not sure about other unis :confused: I heard a lot of good things about Warwick, but i don't know anyone who is studying there Good grades and prizes isn't enough, i guess... I need good personal statement, but I even don't know how to start it ( in our country we dont have such a thing)... at this moment my universities are: Leeds, Manchester, Newcastle, Liverpool and York so what do you think about it?

ReputationRep:
    I won't be able to go to the interview if they will ask I know that oxbridge need interview, but I'm not sure about other unis :confused: I heard a lot of good things about Warwick, but i don't know anyone who is studying there Good grades and prizes isn't enough, i guess... I need good personal statement, but I even don't know how to start it ( in our country we dont have such a thing)... at this moment my universities are: Leeds, Manchester, Newcastle, Liverpool and York so what do you think about it?
    Which country are you from? Lithuania?

Only Oxbridge require an interview, no other university will ask you to go for an interview.

I study at maths at Warwick so if you want to know anything about the course, ask me.

If you need help with your personal statement, go to the "Ask a PS Helper" section of The Student Room. Don't worry, your grades and prizes will contribute a huge amount when the admission tutor considers your application. http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=134

All the universities you mentioned are good, especially Manchester and York. But try to apply to one of the universities I mentioned in my previous post.

ReputationRep:
    at this moment my universities are: Leeds, Manchester, Newcastle, Liverpool and York so what do you think about it?
    I don't think they do justice to a maths olympic.

As for writing the personal statement, a lot of (and probably most) people who're applying to University haven't written personal statements before either. I understand the difficulty you might face writing one but you can always get help here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Orientalist)
    Only Oxbridge require an interview
    Not necessarily. They might make an offer based on the application and any relevant tests only, or they could send someone out to you, or arrange a telephone interview.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyT)
    Not necessarily. They might make an offer based on the application and any relevant tests only, or they could send someone out to you, or arrange a telephone interview.
    Really? I was referring specifically to the case of international students (she's from lithuania I believe). As far as I'm aware, no university apart from Oxbridge requires an interview (telephone for those who live far away, direct contact if you're close by) or anything similar. I'm from France and if I applied to Oxbridge, I would be forced to take a plane to attend an interview. UCL, Imperial, Warwick and the others I have applied to just looked at my grades and personal statement, no telephone interview or tests needed.

ReputationRep:
    So if you all were me, which five universities would you choose? 2 good, 2medium and one not so good
    and yes, I'm from lithuania

ReputationRep:
    Do you have any special reason for not being able to go to the interview, if you don't mind me asking?

I mean, an application to Oxbridge is definitely worth it (I can say that even if I wouldn't have got in, my visit to the stunning beautiful Cambridge was worth the trip, it's true that Lithuania is slightly further away, but still). And if there's any specific date on which you can't go, you can always ask for the interview to be rearranged.

I just thought that if you're going to study in England for three years, it's a pretty big decision to make, and it seems like that there are not too many things that are important enough to keep you from going to Oxbridge for an interview.

Of course, I know nothing about your particular situation, and you are the best to make your own decisions. But from the sounds of it, you definitely have a chance at Oxford or Cambridge, and more than just a chance at Warwick and the likes.

ReputationRep:
    So if you all were me, which five universities would you choose? 2 good, 2medium and one not so good
    and yes, I'm from lithuania
    I don't want to influence your choice of unis too much. Would you prefer living in a big city like London, Manchester etc or would you prefer a campus like Warwick or York? Reputation of a university is important, but it's equally important that you like the place you'll be living in. Remember: you'll be spending 3 years over there! So check out the websites of these universities and, if you can afford to, try to go visit the universities.

very good unis: Oxbridge, Warwick, Imperial

good unis: Durham, Bristol, UCL, Nottingham, York, Bath

good/medium unis: Newcastle, Leeds, Exeter, Southampton, Birmingham, Machester

Remember this is only my opinion, other people will say dfferent things. All the universities mentioned (and lots that I forgot to mention) are great choices.

ReputationRep:
    hehe, the distance isn't the reason The reason is that I'm not so self-confident i have to choose only five universities and have to be realistic And you even can't imagine how difficult for me is to understand people who are talking with british accent so even if get there all my answers will be ''I don't understand'' or ''I don't know''

ReputationRep:
    Orientalist, thank you so much for your help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Orientalist)
    Really? I was referring specifically to the case of international students (she's from lithuania I believe). As far as I'm aware, no university apart from Oxbridge requires an interview (telephone for those who live far away, direct contact if you're close by) or anything similar. I'm from France and if I applied to Oxbridge, I would be forced to take a plane to attend an interview. UCL, Imperial, Warwick and the others I have applied to just looked at my grades and personal statement, no telephone interview or tests needed.
    France is a bit closer than Lithuania. I know Oxford might make an offer based on the admissions test only and may have different arrangements for interviews. The only way to get a definite answer is to contact the admission offices themselves and see what they require.

ReputationRep:
    first of all I wanna say sorry, because I guess, I'm not the only one, who asks this... and I guess it makes you nervous So... I wanna study math in UK, but actually I don't know which unis to choose :confused: I thought about Leeds and Manchester. What do you think about these unis? I have all those rakings and subject tables, but actually they dont say a lot to me :rolleyes: any suggestions?
    P.S. it would be great to meet ppl who are already studying math write me PM
    P.S.S. sorry for my english I know that it's not perfect actually it's far away from that, but I have time to make it better :cool:
    If I were you, I would apply to Oxford/Cambridge, Warwick, Imperial and two others of your choice (such as UCL etc.). If you really don't want to attend an interview then apply to Oxford instead of Cambridge (you have a good chance to get away without an interview), but I think you might have a good shot at Cambridge if you can make it to an interview.

I’m not so sure about the strength of your application (overall grades etc.), but it seems as if you’re very good at maths and have a strong interest in it. And don’t be too hard on yourself; Oxbridge isn’t exclusively for those with an IQ of 150+ (as it’s often made out to be in media outside of UK)

I very much regret not applying to Oxbridge, even though my chances there would have been quite low...Don’t make the same mistake, it’s a chance of a lifetime.

It really does sound as if you could aim a bit higher than what you’re doing at the moment. Don’t be afraid of doing so. You can always leave one or two of your choices to mediocre unis.

Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rickard.N)
    If I were you, I would apply to Oxford/Cambridge, Warwick, Imperial and two others of your choice (such as UCL etc.). If you really don't want to attend an interview then apply to Oxford instead of Cambridge (you have a good chance to get away without an interview), but I think you might have a good shot at Cambridge if you can make it to an interview.

I’m not so sure about the strength of your application (overall grades etc.), but it seems as if you’re very good at maths and have a strong interest in it. And don’t be too hard on yourself; Oxbridge isn’t exclusively for those with an IQ of 150+ (as it’s often made out to be in media outside of UK)

I very much regret not applying to Oxbridge, even though my chances there would have been quite low...Don’t make the same mistake, it’s a chance of a lifetime.

It really does sound as if you could aim a bit higher than what you’re doing at the moment. Don’t be afraid of doing so. You can always leave one or two of your choices to mediocre unis.

Good luck.
    Good advice. I also regret not having applied to Oxbridge.

EDIT: Although I wouldn't qualify the unis she wanted to apply to as "mediocre"...

ReputationRep:
    thank you people so much I guess that I will apply to Cambridge you inspired me :party:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 6, 2007

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.