The Student Room Group

RAF PRTC Failiure(?)

Hi! I have my PRTC coming up very soon and I am a little apprehensive.

I passed my PJFT with no issues whatsoever, good running time, and easily hitting the press ups and sit ups requirement. This aside, I cannot for the life of me master the bleep test. I have never been overly agile and having the turning circle of a C-17 combined with the stop-starts reak havoc on my knees etc. ALSO Combined with having severe shin splits throughout my post-PJFT training, I have had a slight nightmare with it all.

Now I know what you're thinking.... "this guy hasn't trained at all and is looking for excuses. 9.10 is a PASS OR FAIL and if you don't hit it you're going home on the first day"

I was just wondering how true this actually stands from people who have recently attended PRTC. I have read so many contrasting view points I don't know what to believe. I've read one that states you can fail 1/3 of the tests and still pass, another that claims he got 8.7 and was allowed to continue, and then others that are sure it's a complete 9.10 or first train home scenario.

Do the PTI staff offer any leniency at all? I mean surely there are some people out there who are perfectly fit to join but simply can't master the turns. It would be a shame to be removed from the application process right before the finish line.

Thanks in advance, PP.
Reply 1
On my PRTC in January I was disallowed quite a few sit ups due to bad form and as a result of this did fail that fitness test along with about 6 other people who failed on different aspects of the test.

We were all allowed to re-take the test on the last day, and although I passed mine some of the others didn't, they either had their BRTC dates pushed back or had to come back on the next PRTC just to do the test again.

On my first day of BRTC we had people also fail that, they immediately got re-flighted onto the development intakes and had to do remedial PT until they were able to pass the test, at which point they were put on the next available starting intake.

That's my personal experience but I think things are very much subjective to each case, if you failed miserably and were nowhere near the pass rate you'd probably get sent straight home.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Wibi is right. Just recently came back from PRTC few weeks ago and a few failed but were allowed to retake on the last day. If you fail again on the last day you'll be told to come back and try again on another PRTC intake. They won't be sending anybody home for failing unless you are miles from achieving the standards so don't worry about that.

I wasn't too confident about taking the test, I wasn't able to hit the 9.10 before going so wasn't sure how I'd perform on the day but it felt a lot easier when I got there. You are running with around 15 others which helps to set the pace nicely and you're full on adrenaline, it is amazing what a difference that can make.

You'll be fine.
(edited 7 years ago)
Thankyou for the reassurance!!

Quick Reply

Latest