The Student Room Group

Matteo Renzi humiliated as Italy resoundingly votes NO!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-38204189

Ben fatto l'Italia!!!

Congratulations on letting the EU fat cats know you won't be walked over.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Dodgypirate
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-38204189

Ben fatto l'Italia!!!

Congratulations on letting the EU fat cats know you won't be walked over.

:h:
Yessss tell them Italy :h:
Reply 3
Original post by LV Her Husband
the three unwise men above me represent the biggest threat to liberal democracy since hitler

For cheering a democratic vote?

OK den!
Reply 4
Original post by joeybada$$
yet another stupid right wing moron who doesnt realise the economic implications that will happen soon. Italy is a fragile economy and we're set to face a eurozone crisis now.

Also - Austria's vote. Have you chosen to forget about it? :biggrin::biggrin:

No, I haven't, I've chosen not to mention it because this is a thread on the Italy referendum. You're more than welcome to make your own thread on the Austrian vote :smile:
With this referendum, Matteo Renzi wanted to effectively abolish the second chamber of the Italian Parliament. He failed and, along with his Blairite policies, he will, I pray, be consigned to history.
This is a victory for the left and a disaster for the so-called moderates.
I remember the great value I got on euros a couple of years ago as the Greek crisis unfolded. Made that holiday in the South of France that much more luxurious.

Here's hoping for a similar crisis, and drop in the euro, this time around.
the three unwise men above me represent the biggest threat to liberal democracy since hitler

Adfuisiagfh, somebody disagrees with me, they must be an evil, Hitler worshiping, democracy hating fascist!

I very much think the bigger threats to liberal democracy are those who disagree with the "democracy" bit if they don't get their way, not those that don't fit perfectly into the liberal box. BTW, I'm looking at you lot who keep shouting fascist when saying that.
(edited 7 years ago)
Really don't get why anyone hugely cared that much about this or why they wanted to see it as a referendum on Renzi, other than for its own sake.

Also, I still don't get the M5S. They remain essentially an anti-party, devoid of any unifying and guiding ideas. To an extent all populist movements of all stripes suffer from this, yes, but M5S have been vague and ambiguous even by those standards. Thus everyone just subconsciously reads whatever they want into their slogans.
Why are all you people obsessed with the pepe frog thing? It's pretty sad.

Because idiots get triggered by it and blame their problems on it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jammy Duel
Because idiots get triggered by it and blame their problems on it.

So edgy. In reality it's just a way for life's losers to project their insecurities onto others.
So edgy. In reality it's just a way for life's losers to project their insecurities onto others.

If that's so where's your Pepe?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jammy Duel
If that's so where's your Pepe?

I think you just answered your own question.
Original post by Mathemagicien
M5S is a joke. An anti-austerity party which has the most extreme austerity ideology of any of the parties: it wants Italy's economy to decline even faster than its population, to achieve 'degrowth'. A party of vegans, student 'communists', and xenophobes.

It's a brilliant con by Grillo tbh. Take contradictory and ambiguous positions accompanied by one-size-fits-all populist rhetoric, and people will assert this as proof that you "criticise both sides" and are "beyond the left-right paradigm", etc. Trump and Farage, while partially adopting similar tactics, did actually have a few core clear convictions which firmly placed them on the right to an objective observer. Grillo doesn't even have that.
Yes, of course.
I think you just answered your own question.

Ah, you think accusing those who disagree with you of being losers of life at 1am means you aren't one.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ironically of course the no vote makes it harder for fascist dictators.
Original post by Bornblue

It also stops the current government from making their weakness in the senate almost irrelevant, which was clearly the motive.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bornblue

Why is it ironic? Isn't that a good thing?
Reply 19
Original post by Dodgypirate
Why is it ironic? Isn't that a good thing?

Because someone called it a threat to liberal democracy who likes to say people who disagree with them are facist, not it's a bad thing ironic.

Quick Reply

Latest