The Student Room Group

Optical isomer

1480897035114-1760698221.jpg hi, just wondering have I drawn this right for for molecule shown above? does it matter which group I place on the wedge or the dotted line ?

Thanks
Original post by coconut64
1480897035114-1760698221.jpg hi, just wondering have I drawn this right for for molecule shown above? does it matter which group I place on the wedge or the dotted line ?

Thanks

yep that's right (remember the three Hydrogens on the right hand side though!)

But yes it matters, when drawing mirror images they have to be exact mirror images, with the same groups on the wedge and the same group on the dotted line
Reply 2
Original post by MexicanKeith
yep that's right (remember the three Hydrogens on the right hand side though!)

But yes it matters, when drawing mirror images they have to be exact mirror images, with the same groups on the wedge and the same group on the dotted line

The 3 h are on my methyl group. thanks
The 3 h are on my methyl group. thanks

yep I realised, just didn't want you to forget them in the right hand molecule!
Reply 4
yep I realised, just didn't want you to forget them in the right hand molecule!

Also to clarify, so the cooh group can also be on the straight line if it is not on the dotted line ?

Thanks
Also to clarify, so the cooh group can also be on the straight line if it is not on the dotted line ?

Thanks

It is best to keep everything on exactly the same line it was originally. Unless you're reasonably good at visualising in 3D its hard to check if the isomers you end up with are superimpose or not.
So which ever group is at the top stays at the top, whichever one is on the dotted line stays on the dotted line, which ever is on the wedge stays on the wedge and whichever is on the other straight line stays there!

If you have access to models then id recommend you make the two mirror images and then you can see that, if you change over 2 groups on one isomer then you get the other isomer, so it's best to avoid any swaps!
Reply 6
It is best to keep everything on exactly the same line it was originally. Unless you're reasonably good at visualising in 3D its hard to check if the isomers you end up with are superimpose or not.
So which ever group is at the top stays at the top, whichever one is on the dotted line stays on the dotted line, which ever is on the wedge stays on the wedge and whichever is on the other straight line stays there!

If you have access to models then id recommend you make the two mirror images and then you can see that, if you change over 2 groups on one isomer then you get the other isomer, so it's best to avoid any swaps!

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest