The Student Room Group

Quick maths problem

Question: A man was engaged to work 50 days at 75 cents per day for the days worked and to forfeit 25 cents every day he was idle. On settlement he received $25.50 how many days did he work?

I have tried but cannot do it. When you forfeit does it mean you have to give back money for just that for the days the man is sick he gets paid only 50 cents
Original post by bigmansouf
Question: A man was engaged to work 50 days at 75 cents per day for the days worked and to forfeit 25 cents every day he was idle. On settlement he received $25.50 how many days did he work?

I have tried but cannot do it. When you forfeit does it mean you have to give back money for just that for the days the man is sick he gets paid only 50 cents

It's a poorly worded question.

If you assume he gets 75c per day for the days he works, but only 50c on the days he's idle, you end up with him only working 2 out of the 50 days.

One can only imagine he's being employed to satisfy some government directive and they don't really have any work for him.

If you assume he gets 75c per day for the days he works, but pays them 25c on the days he's idle, you end up with a more reasonable figure for the number of days worked.

So, I'd go with the latter. Post any working/thoughts and we'll see what we've got to build on.

Quick Reply

Latest