Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I did quite a lot before the results, but over the past week have been drinking/hungover/lazy. I didn't go out tonight and am now thinking of spending a few days getting into the texts. How about everyone else?

ReputationRep:
    Okay I'm not in the same position but I presume the list is only 'recommended'. To be honest, I doubt many people will have read much off it anyway - you're supposed to be having a holiday!!

My teacher gave me a reading list of about 40 poems and 8 Novels (including bloody long ones like Bleak House and Middlemarch) in preparation for university interviews, however in reality, I'm only going to get about half of them finished.

Seriously read when you feel like it at the moment - you don't want to burn out before you go to uni!

ReputationRep:
    Haven't received a reading list yet even though after my friend who's going to UCL too got hers I got antsy and called Bristol up. I was told that there wasn't one drawn up yet (in mid-July) but there should be one in the mail over the summer. I've given up, just read what I felt like and will do some last minute cramming of classics that I already have in September (based on recommendations, my friend's list, a list I got to prepare for application and interviews etc.). But don't worry, there's only so much you can read, you are going to uni to read and study and sometimes it's better not to have read as widely but in more depth.
    Btw, Middlemarch I think is worth the read, even if it is long. You need to read it in one flow though I think, or it could seem really long and boring. I read it last summer in a few days without stopping much. Bleak House I tried, got about half-way through and gave up. I couldn't see where it was going and so it was frustrating. Also, there are so many characters that i got them a little mixed up. I watched the BBC version though because a friend lent it to me and it was really good, suddenly I saw where it was going, what the point was, and it was concise and well played. I guess I may have to read Bleak House in full sometime in the end but it might be easier now I've seen the BBC adaptation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mnem89)
    Haven't received a reading list yet even though after my friend who's going to UCL too got hers I got antsy and called Bristol up. I was told that there wasn't one drawn up yet (in mid-July) but there should be one in the mail over the summer. I've given up, just read what I felt like and will do some last minute cramming of classics that I already have in September (based on recommendations, my friend's list, a list I got to prepare for application and interviews etc.). But don't worry, there's only so much you can read, you are going to uni to read and study and sometimes it's better not to have read as widely but in more depth.
    Btw, Middlemarch I think is worth the read, even if it is long. You need to read it in one flow though I think, or it could seem really long and boring. I read it last summer in a few days without stopping much. Bleak House I tried, got about half-way through and gave up. I couldn't see where it was going and so it was frustrating. Also, there are so many characters that i got them a little mixed up. I watched the BBC version though because a friend lent it to me and it was really good, suddenly I saw where it was going, what the point was, and it was concise and well played. I guess I may have to read Bleak House in full sometime in the end but it might be easier now I've seen the BBC adaptation.
    Yeah! Bleak House is on the UCL course; I'm reading it at the minute and agree with you about the characters and the VERY heavy plotting. I suppose I just need to persevere. And I am finding that having Bleak House on the desk beside me is making me very lazy and unwilling to work! But I work in fits and starts - I'm hoping that uni will discipline me as a reader. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    daniel deronda -

shoot me now

i'm actually considering pulling out of uni this year all together!

ReputationRep:
    i haven't even started it!

ReputationRep:
    With the exception of maybe Oxbridge, where the reading lists are huge, I wouldn't be too concerned with reading lists. By the time you arrive you will have mostly forgotten all you read anyhow. I remember being worried before I got to York about the reading list and reading everything on it; I needn't have. You have plenty of time there. You might want to get the big novels read in advance however, like Bleak House, just to get a general feel for them.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not a fresher, but I'm doing very badly. I didn't enjoy "To the Lighthouse" very much so it took me about a month and a half to read it! (It's not long.) So now I'm on my third reading list book. Oops.

ReputationRep:
    I'm about halfway into Bleak House and I'm not really finding it too heavy going. I actually enjoy it - a lot - just it seems like its going to take me forever to read! Especially after having read Heart of Darkness which is only around 100 pages long.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andrew_2006)
    I'm about halfway into Bleak House and I'm not really finding it too heavy going. I actually enjoy it - a lot - just it seems like its going to take me forever to read!
    Replace Bleak House with David Copperfield and I'm in exactly the same situation!

ReputationRep:
    Dickens can actually be quite fun if you stop seeing it like a slog. Find a comfortable chair/position (preferably accompanied by a cat/hamster/lizard/whatever...though a horse might be a bit big), make a big mug of tea and snuggle down. They're good stories, which definitely helps getting through such big books!

It's not just freshers who have reading list issues, though...I *really* need to get my arse in gear too! (It's more difficult to snuggle with weird Middle English dialects...*groans*)

ReputationRep:
    It's not too bad really, if it's anything like my course, you'll only need to read one novel a week, alot of which you should have probably read anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by epitome)
    Dickens can actually be quite fun if you stop seeing it like a slog. Find a comfortable chair/position (preferably accompanied by a cat/hamster/lizard/whatever...though a horse might be a bit big), make a big mug of tea and snuggle down. They're good stories, which definitely helps getting through such big books!
    Oh, I totally agree that Dickens' novels are fun reads - the comic touches in David Copperfield mean I can't read more than a few pages without giggling!

However, the size of his larger novels is undoubtedly still daunting. I'm currently only on page 350 out of 747 of David Copperfield, and have been reading it for ages.

And although Dickens is undeniably a complete legend, I've been meaning for a while to try some of the other Victorian authors. What are people's opinions of George Eliot, Wilkie Collins, Thomas Hardy and William Makepeace Thackeray?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hashshashin)
    Oh, I totally agree that Dickens' novels are fun reads - the comic touches in David Copperfield mean I can't read more than a few pages without giggling!

However, the size of his larger novels is undoubtedly still daunting. I'm currently only on page 350 out of 747 of David Copperfield, and have been reading it for ages.

And although Dickens is undeniably a complete legend, I've been meaning for a while to try some of the other Victorian authors. What are people's opinions of George Eliot, Wilkie Collins, Thomas Hardy and William Makepeace Thackeray?
    lol sounds quite incongruous. Bleak House has 900-odd pages.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by empfrench)
    lol sounds quite incongruous. Bleak House has 900-odd pages.
    As does David Copperfield in the Penguin Classics edition - my copy is hardback. And although you could argue that there's a distinct lack of brevity in both cases, that doesn't (in my opinion) lessen the magic of Dickens' prose.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hashshashin)
    As does David Copperfield in the Penguin Classics edition - my copy is hardback. And although you could argue that there's a distinct lack of brevity in both cases, that doesn't (in my opinion) lessen the magic of Dickens' prose.
    I agree.

EDIT: Have some rep aswell.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I didnt get Exeters' reading list until last week so I'd started reading Robinson Crusoe which was on the previous years reading list, only to find it had been replaced by The journal of the plague year. But I've now read Beowulf which i really enjoyed, started reading Richard III which I've seen performed and really enjoyed and now I'm on amazon buying lots of new books, oh the excitement!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I never learn...going into my second year and I haven't even finished Hamlet, the first play on my reading list. More late night cramming sessions beroe seminars for me next year then!

ReputationRep:
    I've just got my Cambridge pre-term reading list, and it's huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge. (Exciting, though!) I can feel my social life slipping away as I type...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lidka)
    I've just got my Cambridge pre-term reading list, and it's huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge. (Exciting, though!) I can feel my social life slipping away as I type...
    Awww- good luck with that! I'm not doing too well with mine. For one thing, I was sure I hadn't got in so I decided I'd start any reading after results (if only we could have known earlier). For another I can't even FIND half of the books! I went to the library expecting to come out with loads (the books are just those you should read, not buy) and came out with ONE. And our library is supposedly one of the best in the country. *rolls eyes*.

I'm thinking other people may have found it just as hard so I'm not too worried. I've read one (which I had already), glanced through another (again had it already) and have to trudge through the one from the library. Weirdly the books are only general overviews and not the actual texts, so I suppose it doesn't matter as much. I hope anyway! :p:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 13, 2007

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 24 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.