The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

naivesincerity
Nothing wrong with it you're right there. I guess I'm just fascinated by why I'm not like that though....

Romance doesn't come from people not knowing one another; mystery, intrigue and emotional variety are derived from diversity. The emotionally-dysfunctional woman who seems to know everyone, but only superficially; the man who talks to his cat more than any human being because he can't stand the banality of most conversations; the girl whose misanthropism leads her to emo music, black clothes and a pair of scissors; the two friends who drunkenly make a bet to see who can get the most Facebook contacts in a month; the student who worries that there's no romance left because of the internet; the other student who's prone to making overly-long arguments to the contrary... - that's what life's about!

Anyway, correct me if I'm wrong, but I reckon there's an emotional back-story with one (or both) of these people and you.... (I don't think you'd care enough to make a thread otherwise).
Reply 21
I dont find it "depressing" but I do find it a little odd.Last night for example I was on Bebo and a girl I met on the internet,and never got on with particularly well,is "friends" with an ex of mine..!:eek: I was like,how does that happen when he was at my school,and she lives in a completely different part of the country!:s-smilie: Confused me but still...!

Its just part of where we are now I guess.I think we are all guilty of the old adding people to MySpace/Facebook whether we know them well/dont know them at all kind of thing!It looks better when you have a higher number of friends to some people.

I think on MySpace I have 126 friends..I personally know about 85% of those,the others are bands and people I met on the net,and I would say I spoke to about 25% on a regular basis using MySpace.

I think what I was trying to say is although they are added on your friends account,chances are they probably dont speak to each other very often,if at all,and if there was anything you were worried about getting out,chances are it wont happen!:wink:
Sehnsucht
Romance doesn't come from people not knowing one another; mystery, intrigue and emotional variety are derived from diversity. The emotionally-dysfunctional woman who seems to know everyone, but only superficially; the man who talks to his cat more than any human being because he can't stand the banality of most conversations; the girl whose misanthropism leads her to emo music, black clothes and a pair of scissors; the two friends who drunkenly make a bet to see who can get the most Facebook contacts in a month; the student who worries that there's no romance left because of the internet; the other student who's prone to making overly-long arguments to the contrary... - that's what life's about!

Anyway, correct me if I'm wrong, but I reckon there's an emotional back-story with one (or both) of these people and you.... (I don't think you'd care enough to make a thread otherwise).

Interesting post thanks
Reply 23
There is the idea of six degrees. The thought is that everyone in the world knows everyone else through no more than six people. Something to think about.

edit: damn it, didn't see this was posted already.
Reply 24
naivesincerity
Facebook just sucks. The people on their seem to have no cynicism about who they're mates with, they're like, as someone else on here said 'attention whores'

Tell me about it.

I'm really hating Facebook atm. People keep leaving me mean messages on them anonymous honesty thingies. :frown: And the worst thing is I think it might have been someone I'm close to (i.e not just a Facebook friend :rolleyes: )
SmilerNuts
No, it's 6 moves wins a chess game! :p:
Lol i dunno, i've never heard that but in this day and age it's no doubt true.

The world is just different. There are still some romantics out there but these days people just wanna know as many people as possible, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Heck you could argue that it's better to know more people and therefore expand your horizons.

4 moves (each) wins a chess game I think.

19 connections between any two random people.
I don't see what's so diasappointing about that.
Reply 27
I feel slightly claustrophobic when I realise how friends I've never seen together are actually linked on facebook, and people from primary school know people from my high school etc., because it's like there's no escape! Everyone knows everyone, so I can't leave behind those embarrassing anecdotes/awkward years, or ever have a completely fresh start...
321beep
I feel slightly claustrophobic when I realise how friends I've never seen together are actually linked on facebook, and people from primary school know people from my high school etc., because it's like there's no escape! Everyone knows everyone, so I can't leave behind those embarrassing anecdotes/awkward years, or ever have a completely fresh start...

Exactly!
minimo
Tell me about it.

I'm really hating Facebook atm. People keep leaving me mean messages on them anonymous honesty thingies. :frown: And the worst thing is I think it might have been someone I'm close to (i.e not just a Facebook friend :rolleyes: )

Didn't know they had anonymous honesty things. Sounds bad.
Reply 30
naivesincerity
Didn't know they had anonymous honesty things. Sounds bad.

Don't really get what you mean but obviously I don't know who it was - it's anonymous. I have my suspicions, however.
Its the 6 degrees of Kevin Bacon - name any actor and you can always find 6 links through to Kevin Bacon - because he is that popular/been in so many movies!
I left home went to university and now my world seems even smaller. So I plan to travel at some stage. But I do plan on expanding my connections to people both in my home town and uni because thats what makes life interesting. I'm also going to check out the 6 degrees thing.
Reply 33
minimo
Tell me about it.

That's just asking for trouble! Why on earth would you put that on your profile? I considered it briefly then realised I didn't want to end up self harming every time I logged in to Facebook.
i dont understand how facebook works at all, maybe because I've only just joined it but at this stage i much prefer myspace.

And if you don't want to know more people, dont join networking websites, simple really.
puppy
That's just asking for trouble! Why on earth would you put that on your profile? I considered it briefly then realised I didn't want to end up self harming every time I logged in to Facebook.

If you don't mind me asking, do you mean that literally about self-harming?
Reply 36
naivesincerity

I think it would depend on how bad the comments were probably, but those applications are really dangerous anyway. I can't work out why you'd put yourself through it to be honest, just remove the application.
Reply 37
naivesincerity

Obviously not.
puppy
Obviously not.

Well I asked because some people in HandR do have those kind of problems

No need to be rude.
Reply 39
naivesincerity
Well I asked because some people in HandR do have those kind of problems

No need to be rude.

No need to be so paranoid, I'm just answering your question.

Latest

Trending

Trending