Turn on thread page Beta

acetyl coenzyme A watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    can someone tell me why acetyl coenzyme A is so important?

thanks

ReputationRep:
    Because it's involved in respiration.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    :ditto:

Theres a more complicated version of what it actually does... which i won't divulge on a saturday night, through possible lack of getting it wrong and embarassing myself! (you could try searching wikipedia or google though)

ReputationRep:
    kk, can someone just outline the process of oxidative phosphorylation. I tried wiki but there was too much info

thanks
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    what level are you at - a-level? degree level?

ReputationRep:
    A2 ocr
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Just out of curiosity, have you checked TSR's wiki to see if there are any revision notes there that copver the topic? (I'm going to find it hard to explaion this for a A-level person- too used to the degree explanation now...)

This link is for s-cool revision notes, which may help you: http://www.s-cool.co.uk/topic_quickl...s=&ebl=&elc=13

(i'll just check our wiki for you too....)
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    This page is probably the best in the wiki though not great: http://thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Rev...ic_Respiration

The electron transport chain is also known as oxidative phosphorylation - 2 names to confuse you when searching the internet!

ReputationRep:
    thanks!!!

ReputationRep:
    Look here:

http://www.biology-online.org/

Don't touch Wikipedia, it's full of rubbish!
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Its not the real Wikipedia - its the Student Wiki of TSR!!!! (fair enough - still not 100% reliable, but since a lot of it is written by students, it is often in a format easier to understand)

ReputationRep:
    hha lets see if i remembers hmm

Electrons are passed won the elctron transport chain each transfer releases ATP by chemiosmosis, the process of which involves the transfer of H+ ions moving into the intermembranal space from the inner membrane of the mitochondrion. The diffusion of h+ ions back into the inner membrance through chemiosmotic channels (which contain the enzyme atp synthase?) produces ATP. The name oxidative comes from the fact that electrons are oxidised and reduced at each stages as they are passed from one electron carrier to the next.

ahh something along those lines anyway
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    not bad - better than i could be bothered to do last night...lol!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Kirsty~)
    Its not the real Wikipedia - its the Student Wiki of TSR!!!! (fair enough - still not 100% reliable, but since a lot of it is written by students, it is often in a format easier to understand)
    I was referring to the site called Wikipedia (that anyone without even registering can add/alter stuff. Which I have done to correct. :rolleyes:
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I thought you were on about the link i posted...

However i would still use wikipedia in emergencies, poviding i don't need the information as part of an essay but just to get an overview or understanding of a topic. Especially when searching for information through other sources doesn't work - which is often the case with my degree.

A-level work, though, should be available easily from other reliable sites, so wiki wouldn't be needed as much. I suggested wikipeidia before i knew if it was A-level or degree level the OP wanted.

ReputationRep:
    thanks everyone helped so much

ReputationRep:
    try edited (no spaces of course)

ReputationRep:
    crap i didnt know i would be warned for such a minor thing! o well lol
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    avoiding a filter isn't a minor thing on this site. Some url's are on the banned list for a reason - though i don't know why that one was.

ReputationRep:
    yeah im not sure either. no worries though

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 7, 2007

University open days

• University of Derby
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evening - Derby Campus Postgraduate
    Tue, 22 Jan '19
  • University of the West of England, Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon - Frenchay Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
  • University of East London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.