Hostelling International card Watch

UglyDuckling
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
How much would it cost to one HI card for 1 year in European countries for a 21yo boy??
Expression
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by psycho)
How much would it cost to one HI card for 1 year in European countries for a 21yo boy??
£9.95 for membership to HI if you join through the England & Wales YHA.
UglyDuckling
Rep:
?
Yes; but I would like to know the price in Europe. I'm wondering if I should get it on the spot in the hostel.

Is the card any useful?? I mean, we can try to stay in youth hostel which are non-IYHA.

How long would it take to process the card??
Expression
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by psycho)
Yes; but I would like to know the price in Europe. I'm wondering if I should get it on the spot in the hostel.

Is the card any useful?? I mean, we can try to stay in youth hostel which are non-IYHA.

How long would it take to process the card??

You'll be lucky to buy one on the spot on the continent; as you're supposed to come across with the HI card of your home organisation.

What you'd have to do is get a guest membership, which is a little card with space for 6 stamps on it; and you have to pay 2.90 Euros a night for a stamp. Once you've paid for 6 stamps (6 nights) you are entitled to full membership and can stay in any hostel in the world.

The card is useful as it means you can stay at any HI Youth Hostel worldwide without having to pay a supplement. This however doesn't apply at independant hostels.

As for processing time, normally about a week last time I joined.
cheerios
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
hi sorry i know this sounds dumb but i have never heard of this card but am going interrailing in september. is it worth me getting one? what exactly do they do?
UglyDuckling
Rep:
?
Some of the youth hostels are the members of IYHA. If you don't have the HI card, you would need to pay extra.

For example, I'm going to Gothenburg to stay for 3 nights. The cheapest youth hostel that I can get apparently is a member of IYHA. Without the card, I would be charged SEK 50 per night.

I wonder, would it be cheaper to get it in Sweden, or should I get it in England??

To be honest, I'm trying very hard to avoid the IYHA youth hostel. When I book my hostel in Copenhagen, I actually found hostel that are cheaper than IYHA hostel. Then, I book my hostel in Lund, and once again I avoided the IYHA hostel. Lastly, for Gothenburg, I can't avoid it.. This is so disappointing
UglyDuckling
Rep:
?
By any chance, if there anyone finding the card useful??
I think we might be able to get other non-YHA hostels which are cheaper.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever experienced bullying?

Yes (179)
78.51%
No (49)
21.49%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed