The Student Room Group

Feeling a bit down about being single at Christmas

I'm not too sure why I'm feeling down lately I've been single all year but now that Christmas is here it's making me feel bad that I'm single. I go out to do my Christmas shopping on my own and all I seem to see is happy couples spending the festive season together and it's getting me down.

Does anyone have any advice?
Reply 1
Yea being single at Christmas is ****. Just make sure you go out with your friends and enjoy it
Original post by Anonymous
I'm not too sure why I'm feeling down lately I've been single all year but now that Christmas is here it's making me feel bad that I'm single. I go out to do my Christmas shopping on my own and all I seem to see is happy couples spending the festive season together and it's getting me down.

Does anyone have any advice?

Hey there Anon,

I'm really sorry to hear you're feeling down in the festive season. Sometimes all of the jovial festivities can test our patience, sorry to hear this. :frown: Don't feel bad that you're single! Being single during this time can sometimes be testing, but it's also a chance to be close to our families and friends. Go out with your friends, have some fun on a Christmassy night out? There are loads of things to do! :biggrin:

Take care anon, enjoy your Christmas
FC x
Christmas is fun its the best time of the year:tongue: and you always have events and shows on ,:smile: i would say go out , enjoy with friends , i know how it feels when you see others and you look at yourself it hurts, but trust me just do the things you enjoy and patience is key, you will find someone i'm sure of it , just everything a time and way. its just the waiting game, meanwhile talk to people , meet up with new people , make friends, and go out it will help.:wink:
Yeah I split with my ex in May this year and Christmas was one of my favourite times of year to spend with her. So it's a bit weird, gonna be the first Christmas I've spent whilst out of a relationship in 4 years and it feels bit alien really. Just try not to think about it, spend as much time doing fun things with friends and family as you can. If you're like me, then I've got the added pressure of university exams and graduate job applications/interviews to take my mind off of things. Just relax, enjoy the food and the good company. Hope you start to feel a bit better soon!!
On the plus side it's one less present to buy. Every cloud n all that...
I'd think of it this way; sure, this Christmas may feel lonely, but one day you'll be sitting by a tree with lots of presents around it with your family...a loving wife and excited kids.

Aim for it, and one can achieve. Don't let it get you down buddy! :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Father Christmas
Hey there Anon,

I'm really sorry to hear you're feeling down in the festive season. Sometimes all of the jovial festivities can test our patience, sorry to hear this. :frown: Don't feel bad that you're single! Being single during this time can sometimes be testing, but it's also a chance to be close to our families and friends. Go out with your friends, have some fun on a Christmassy night out? There are loads of things to do! :biggrin:

Take care anon, enjoy your Christmas
FC x

Thanks. I'm just in a weird mindset right now because I am feeling festive and Christmassy because it's my favourite time of the year but I just feel down because I'm single. I'm looking forward to spending time with my family because we've all been extremely busy lately, but as for going out with my friends I keep trying to arrange a night out for drinks but all my friends are busy because they're in relationships so its hard to arrange a night out before Christmas. I will be going to a house party on New Year's Eve with family and friends but for me it's not the same as going out at Christmas.

Quick Reply

Latest