Is the uk constitution is 'no longer ' fit for purpose Watch

username2864572
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I want to write a 40 mark answer to this questions but I want to plan it first but I wasn't sure on how to plan an answer to this question. Could anybody help?
Snufkin
Badges: 21
Report 2 years ago
The UK doesn't have a constitution?
Good bloke
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Snufkin)
The UK doesn't have a constitution?
The UK does have a constitution. It just isn't written down in a concise, easy to access way in the same way that that of the USA, for instance, is as it consists of a hotch-potch of laws, conventions and rulings.
SuperHuman98
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Mariah Del Ray)
I want to write a 40 mark answer to this questions but I want to plan it first but I wasn't sure on how to plan an answer to this question. Could anybody help?
You have to think about the strengths and weaknesses of the UK constitution
Snufkin
Badges: 21
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Good bloke)
The UK does have a constitution. It just isn't written down in a concise, easy to access way in the same way that that of the USA, for instance, is as it consists of a hotch-potch of laws, conventions and rulings.
We could debate whether that really is a proper constitution in the modern sense of the word (I don't think it is), but that's a whole a different issue. But I don't see how the UK's 'unwritten constitution' can be unfit for purpose given that it is ever changing; it is very flexible and can be adapted as society evolves.
Good bloke
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Snufkin)
We could debate whether that really is a proper constitution in the modern sense of the word (I don't think it is), but that's a whole a different issue. But I don't see how the UK's 'unwritten constitution' can be unfit for purpose given that it is ever changing; it is very flexible and can be adapted as society evolves.

I agree about its fitness for purpose. But a constitution is a constitution. England had a constitution before the conquest and it has continually developed as circumstances and the country has changed. That it is not concisely written does not prevent it being a proper constitution, nor make it unfit for purpose. If it does the job (as it clearly does) then it must be modern as it does the job for a modern state. That is does the job for a modern state so effectively also makes it proper.
Connor27
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Good bloke)
I agree about its fitness for purpose. But a constitution is a constitution. England had a constitution before the conquest and it has continually developed as circumstances and the country has changed. That it is not concisely written does not prevent it being a proper constitution, nor make it unfit for purpose. If it does the job (as it clearly does) then it must be modern as it does the job for a modern state. That is does the job for a modern state so effectively also makes it proper.
You could argue because it's so inflexible though, that that's also a weakness because it allows for elective dictatorship with the judiciary having 0 power to remove an act of parliament and the House of Lords only having a very limited one that is reserved to secondary legislation. There are no checks and balances.

You'll need both ways to do well in the essay
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (34)
25.19%
No (101)
74.81%

Watched Threads