6 months unemployed. Will work for free if job is numerate. Need advice.

Watch
Toomanyfeels
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
- 6 months unemployed after graduating with a RG 2.2 in a numerate subject.
- Missed out on a 2.1 by 1.5% after getting bored and itching to leave in final year.
- Previous experience in customer service and warehouse work only.
- Long term goal of a job in finance/data/stats etc, something requiring Maths.
- Applied for internships throughout University but no luck.
- Nothing wrong with CV, been checked by multiple sources.
- Volunteering websites only seem to show care or retail roles.
- Only jobs I seem qualified to apply for seem to be cleaning, customer service, warehouse, shop jobs etc.
- Struggling to apply for such jobs after previously leaving a decent non-numerate entry-level role in past to better prospects at University. Going backwards.
- Any half decent numerate job wants experience or 2.1 and above.
- Becoming depressed.
- Questioning existence.
- Need help/advice please.
hamzaahmad786
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Welwyn Garden City council have a statistical voluntary role, I can't remember the link but have a look. It's on thursdays too.

Also it's going to be hard to get employment with a 2.2, especially as 2.1s and 1st class is so common now. Your best bet would to start at the bottom in finance and work your way up again, accounting seems to be an area that anyone can break into with simple maths.
Nunchuck-master-2334
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Toomanyfeels)
- 6 months unemployed after graduating with a RG 2.2 in a numerate subject.
- Missed out on a 2.1 by 1.5% after getting bored and itching to leave in final year.
- Previous experience in customer service and warehouse work only.
- Long term goal of a job in finance/data/stats etc, something requiring Maths.
- Applied for internships throughout University but no luck.
- Nothing wrong with CV, been checked by multiple sources.
- Volunteering websites only seem to show care or retail roles.
- Only jobs I seem qualified to apply for seem to be cleaning, customer service, warehouse, shop jobs etc.
- Struggling to apply for such jobs after previously leaving a decent non-numerate entry-level role in past to better prospects at University. Going backwards.
- Any half decent numerate job wants experience or 2.1 and above.
- Becoming depressed.
- Questioning existence.
- Need help/advice please.
What country are you in?
Toomanyfeels
Rep:
?
(Original post by hamzaahmad786)
Welwyn Garden City council have a statistical voluntary role, I can't remember the link but have a look. It's on thursdays too.

Also it's going to be hard to get employment with a 2.2, especially as 2.1s and 1st class is so common now. Your best bet would to start at the bottom in finance and work your way up again, accounting seems to be an area that anyone can break into with simple maths.
Thanks, I'll take a look.

I'm well aware a 2.2 isn't good enough to be competitive. I haven't been looking for grad level jobs, I'm just looking for any entry-level numerate role which I can build upon, however there doesn't seem to be many going which I can apply for. Entry-level financial admin/assistant type jobs all seem to want some sort of previous admin or financial experience which I don't have, and the ones that don't require it are flooded with applications and I haven't landed one.
Toomanyfeels
Rep:
?
(Original post by Nunchuck-master-2334)
What country are you in?
The UK.
Nunchuck-master-2334
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
The UK.
If you don't mind voluntary wwork, try the nearest foodbank centre.
I live in Kent, and I go to my local Foodbank centre any Wednesday or Friday afternoons I have free.
It's really pleasing helping people who are in an economic crisis in our local areas.
You wan't my advice?
Give it a go.
Ham22
Badges: 15
Report 3 years ago
doit.org
hamzaahmad786
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Thanks, I'll take a look.

I'm well aware a 2.2 isn't good enough to be competitive. I haven't been looking for grad level jobs, I'm just looking for any entry-level numerate role which I can build upon, however there doesn't seem to be many going which I can apply for. Entry-level financial admin/assistant type jobs all seem to want some sort of previous admin or financial experience which I don't have, and the ones that don't require it are flooded with applications and I haven't landed one.
Also don't be phased by entry requirements (with SMEs especially). Typically, entry requirements are used to weed out large numbers of candidates and mean jack all if you can demonstrate how to read, write, analyse and do what the company wants etc.

I applied for a financial role, had absolutely no experience whatsoever, I couldn't even commit to coming in on time but I obviously impressed in the interview and the interviewer got the impression that this guy isn't perfect, but he can do the job, I got the job in the end.

Some times you just have to take chances, being numerate you should know that it increases the probability of you landing a role somewhere!
VikkiHanley
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Try looking at working in mortgage or protection insurance. I got a mortgage admin job with zero previous financial experience. If you put yourself through the CeMap exams you'd get a job pretty quickly then you could move into financial advisory or accountancy if you do the right exams eg CIMA.
roflcakes1
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Could you volunteer in an admin position, or try to get an admin-related role in a small charity or similar where there is less competition? Then when you apply for entry level roles in the financial sector you'd have the admin experience they require and it will help you move into the sector you really want to work in. Ideally you'd have already started doing this - without being harsh I think it's time to start looking outside the sector to see what types of experience and transferable skills you can develop according to what the job descriptions require for the sector you do want to work in. I appreciate that it's a bit disheartening to spend 6 months only to go into an admin job in a sector you don't care about but it's better than doing nothing and moving career sectors is relatively common these days.

Are you in a position to do unpaid work experience in a financial sector? Again it might give you the combination of admin and financial skills that the jobs you're looking at require. In my experience small companies tend to be quite open to having informal interns if contacted directly. And although it's a bit depressing doing retail jobs, at least doing something would help you save money so you had the resources to do voluntary or unpaid work experience in the sector you really want to do. I've been there before - having to do service-type jobs for a few weeks full time, completely irrelevant to my career goals and not learning any new skills, but so I could save money and pay for an unpaid internship - don't see it as a step down, but a necessary step to where you want to go (assuming of course that you don't already have the resources to do unpaid work anyway).

Have you thought about contacting local charities more informally and asking if you can do some freelance volunteer work if they have an projects where your skills might be useful? Often there will be projects you can get involved in, but the charities do not see them as a priority as they have limited resources, so only advertise for volunteers where they are really needed for more central roles.
threeportdrift
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I don't want to sound like a stuck record, but if you are making application and aren't getting to interview at at least 1 in 10 applications, then it absolutely 100% IS YOUR CV (or application form). It cannot be anything else, it's all the employer has to go on.

The number of companies that actually hard screen out all CVs on issues like a 2.2 instead of a 2.1 is actually very small, if any. HR in large companies that set these limits is actually much more sophisticated than that. Anyway, if getting a 2.2 was a bar to employment, Universities wouldn't award so many! You may have to write better thought out CVs/applications to compensate, but it is perfectly possible - but again it comes down to your CV.

You need to get your CV checked by someone who is a) entirely dispassionate about telling you it's rubbish (so not friends or family) and b) who actually is an employer who screens entry level CVs quite regularly - because they will be able to tell you what the process is like and what employers are looking for.

As others have suggested, charities are always looking out for people prepared to be their treasurer - look at doit.org and get some experience that way while you are waiting - it's likely to be at least another 3 months before you start a graduate level job, because of the recruitment process.
999tigger
Report 3 years ago
On the issue of 2:2 v 2:1 then a large number set the min entry at 2:1 so its prettu pointless applying of you dont have one imo.

That said CV's can always be improved and you need trageted ones for most success.

If you are going to do vol work and wnat numerate then you create your own voluntary position or just get in on the ground floor and create a use for yourself.

What i would do is get some additional professional qualifcations that they will have heard of once you know what area you want.
Milkround
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
hey there,

sorry to hear you're having job difficulties!

Have you checked out Milkround? They advertise graduate roles as well as a huge career advice site.

You can filter your search by sector, such as finance:
http://www.milkround.com/jobs/accoun...ance/#browsing

Or job type, like internship/volunteering etc.
http://www.milkround.com/jobs/intern...ence/#browsing

Every job spec is different, some ask for a 2.1, some say 2.2, some don't specify!

You should also check out these advice pieces:
http://advice.milkround.com/cv-writing-guide
http://advice.milkround.com/job-interview-guide
h4mza
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'm in exact same situation mate except I've got 2:1 in IT
hamzaahmad786
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by h4mza)
I'm in exact same situation mate except I've got 2:1 in IT
As a last resort, try FDM group. There an agency so expect the usual but they seem to easily accept graduates and can get your foot through the door of a big firm.
h4mza
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
As a last resort, try FDM group. There an agency so expect the usual but they seem to easily accept graduates and can get your foot through the door of a big firm.
They did show interest in me but I turned it down as I wasn't happy with their terms and conditions. They put you into 2 year contract job against your wishes and send you all over the country.
hamzaahmad786
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by h4mza)
They did show interest in me but I turned it down as I wasn't happy with their terms and conditions. They put you into 2 year contract job against your wishes and send you all over the country.
Yep, that's what I was worried about.
h4mza
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Yep, that's what I was worried about.
Haha yeah, so what are you doing currently?
Trevish
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I have some ideas for you.
(1)Online jobs like writing or on Fiverr where you can use your skills to get a job
(2)Make your own blog, become a youtuber
(3) Build your own Business, It can be anything such as food merchant from low ranging business to high ones depending on your budget
(4) Find a real job, go to interviews etc
(5) Concerning the business, If you know some friends in the samd situation as you, try forming a partnership!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Mystery.
Badges: 21
Report 3 years ago
Can you do apprenticeships maybe?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (73)
26.74%
No - I have already returned home (31)
11.36%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (57)
20.88%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (30)
10.99%
No - I live at home during term anyway (82)
30.04%

Watched Threads