The Student Room Group

6 months unemployed. Will work for free if job is numerate. Need advice.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by h4mza
Haha yeah, so what are you doing currently?

I'm currently on a placement year with an electronics company, will be going back next year to finish my degree (bus and fin), then hopefully enroll on a graduate scheme. If all else fails, ring up FDM :u:
Original post by Toomanyfeels
- 6 months unemployed after graduating with a RG 2.2 in a numerate subject.
- Missed out on a 2.1 by 1.5% after getting bored and itching to leave in final year.
- Previous experience in customer service and warehouse work only.
- Long term goal of a job in finance/data/stats etc, something requiring Maths.
- Applied for internships throughout University but no luck.
- Nothing wrong with CV, been checked by multiple sources.
- Volunteering websites only seem to show care or retail roles.
- Only jobs I seem qualified to apply for seem to be cleaning, customer service, warehouse, shop jobs etc.
- Struggling to apply for such jobs after previously leaving a decent non-numerate entry-level role in past to better prospects at University. Going backwards.
- Any half decent numerate job wants experience or 2.1 and above.
- Becoming depressed.
- Questioning existence.
- Need help/advice please.

There is a volunteering charity that offers free accommodation, £40 per week (unless meals are provided), an additional £35 towards out of pocket expenses. Travel expenses are reimbursed and they will always provide ongoing regular training.

Website - volunteeringmatters.org.uk
Original post by h4mza
They did show interest in me but I turned it down as I wasn't happy with their terms and conditions. They put you into 2 year contract job against your wishes and send you all over the country.

So? Miles better than scrounging off the state, don't you think? Young millennials need to understand that they can't get everything they want in life and will have to make a few compromises along the way.
Original post by Len Goodman
So? Miles better than scrounging off the state, don't you think? Young millennials need to understand that they can't get everything they want in life and will have to make a few compromises along the way.

:ditto: I had to work weekends just to make ends meet because my full time job doesn't pay for everything. If you don't make sacrifices you'll never get anywhere.
Saying from personal experience.
Apply for roles in banks, even if they are customer services ones. I got a part-time job in a bank quite easily, and my degree has nothing to do with finance or maths. Even if it's just a part-time job to make money while you do volunteering in the field that you want (which is what I do), go for it. I think that the Citizens Advice Bureau has voluntary roles which involve giving financial advice, try that.

Barclays, Santander, Lloyd's, TSB, Natwest, HSBC, visit all of their websites and apply for the roles that you qualify for. Take your time and check for mistakes. You could end up getting promoted to the type of role you want as well. Good luck xx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending