Tygra
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi all,

At college we have an assignment to write up an experiment that we did that was the fermentation of yeast collecting CO2. This is an access course so they throw us right in at the deep end which is good and all, but when away from the teacher, simple answers to simple questions are hard to find.

Anyway, on the net everything on fermentation with yeast has examples with glucose, and so I have learned the process and formula. Glucose splits by glycolysis releasing two lots of ATP; producing two lots of pyruvate, forming two lots of acetaldehyde and carbon dioxide which follows two lots of ethanol and while in the process there is a cycle of NAD being reduced and the glucose oxidised.

Is this process the same for fructose and can I use the same diagram and put fructose instead. Does the different molecular structure change anything?

Thanks in advance!
Tygra
Rep:
?
Anyone know?
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
well fructose is an isomer of glucose so it has the same number of carbon to hydrogen ratio as glucose, except that that the alpha and beta monosaccharides are the opposite way round. That is all i really know on the subject in that context, but logic would suggest it is the same due to structure. I have also had to do this experiment last year, but i think yours will be in more detail than mine was.

Hope this helps
Tygra
Rep:
?
(Original post by NightPerson)
well fructose is an isomer of glucose so it has the same number of carbon to hydrogen ratio as glucose, except that that the alpha and beta monosaccharides are the opposite way round. That is all i really know on the subject in that context, but logic would suggest it is the same due to structure. I have also had to do this experiment last year, but i think yours will be in more detail than mine was.

Hope this helps
Okay, thanks my friend.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (65)
15.59%
Uncertainty around my education (73)
17.51%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (39)
9.35%
Isolating with family (25)
6%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (16)
3.84%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (33)
7.91%
Loneliness (41)
9.83%
Financial worries (14)
3.36%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (41)
9.83%
Exposure to negative news/social media (30)
7.19%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (40)
9.59%

Watched Threads