Hazel99
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I know galp is in photosynthesis but didn't know it was in respiration.

Plz explain.
FutureMedic97
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It comes into respiration during glycolysis. So during glycolysis, glucose is first phosphorylated using 2ATP molecules and then when 2 inorganic phosphate molecules are added, the molecule splits up to form triosephosphate (GALP)
GALP is oxidised to produce 2 pyruvate molecules, 2 reduced NAD and 4 ATP molecules.

You might not have known because GALP in respiration is usually taught as triosephosphate
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by FutureMedic97)
It comes into respiration during glycolysis. So during glycolysis, glucose is first phosphorylated using 2ATP molecules and then when 2 inorganic phosphate molecules are added, the molecule splits up to form triosephosphate (GALP)
GALP is oxidised to produce 2 pyruvate molecules, 2 reduced NAD and 4 ATP molecules.

You might not have known because GALP in respiration is usually taught as triosephosphate
Just to note that the hexose does not split into two glyceraldehyde-3-phosphate molecules, but one GALP and a dihydroxyacetone phosphate, DHAP. GALP and DHAP are isomers, and the isomerisation of DHAP into GALP is catalysed by triose phosphate isomerase. It is GALP which goes on to be used up in glycolysis.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (73)
22.6%
Excited but a bit nervous (146)
45.2%
Not bothered either way (38)
11.76%
I'm really nervous (66)
20.43%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise