Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    How come no matter where i get my quotes they are wanting to charge me £5000. its ridiculas, yess i am only 18 and just passed my test but £5000! for a corsa, thats taking the p**s unless i am doing something wrong when applying but ive checked and checked again.

not being funny but who the hell is going to pay £5000 for annual insurance.

how come i read on here that youngsters are getting quoted around £1500. i would be happy with that but i am just not getting it

any tips on getting cheaper quotes?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Try direct line, tesco and quinn direct.

ReputationRep:
    And Endsleigh.

ReputationRep:
    If your car isn't worth alot try getting TPFT insurance instead of fully comp (if you haven't already).
    If your car is unmodified from standard and has the 1.0/1.2 engine I see no reason it's that high.

I agree with the previous posters, Quinn Direct do very good prices for TPFT insurance when you've only just passed your test, and just got a good quote of Endsleigh for my second year of insurance.

Have you tried just putting your details into Confused or Compare the Market etc? They might not give the cheapest quote every time, but they give you a pretty good idea of what your going to be paying for all the main insurers.

ReputationRep:
    Area surely wouldnt make his premium jump from the usual 2k to 5k?

Maybe he's trying to insure a Corsa VXR?

ReputationRep:
    £5000? Seems a bit extreme! You need to give us some more info about the car.

Even my sister doesnt pay that much for insurance on her Z4!!!

ReputationRep:
    NORWICH UNION - crap in terms of admin. But heres a few tips...

1) Put your parents/guardians as named drivers (2+ drivers)
    2) Parked on a driveway? Garaged?
    3) Say you only cover around 2000/3000 miles a year
    4) Don't state any modifications to the car!! Its really not worth it (if you've modded your car it would be cheaper just to replace any mods, if god forbid you were to have an accident, then for it to be added to your premiums.

Hope this helps - let us know how you get on

James

ReputationRep:
    lol well i live in liverpool which could explain it but its a nice part of liverpool so it cudnt make that much of a difference.

and the quotes i am getting are for TPFT but i will try all the companies u guys are suggesting

thnks

ReputationRep:
    thank you maverick i took your advice and added my parents as the names drivers and now i am getting quotes for around £1200 which is much better

thansk for all your help guys

ReputationRep:
    Milleage often be varified and if you happen to write of a very expensive car insurance companies often hire private investigators.

Don't lie about anything, get a basic 1.0 or 1.2 litre car, add your parents to it but have you as the name policy holder, make sure you get a car with an imboliser and you should be able to get it down to £2000. As far as insurance companies are concerned everything is against you It is not their fault though that young males from Liverpool have a habit of writing cars off

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samsung12)
    thank you maverick i took your advice and added my parents as the names drivers and now i am getting quotes for around £1200 which is much better

thansk for all your help guys
    Is the policy in your name or your parents name? Be careful if its in their name and you're adding yourself as a named driver if you are going to be the main driver of the car

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maverick_James)

4) Don't state any modifications to the car!! Its really not worth it (if you've modded your car it would be cheaper just to replace any mods, if god forbid you were to have an accident, then for it to be added to your premiums.

James
    If you don't state mods and have a crash your insurance will be void if your insurance company finds out so it really is worth stating it. The insurance company wont just ignore it and give you money as if the car was standard ... sounds like how you think it works from your post.

ReputationRep:
    It must be a pretty new car/pretty powerful to be getting those sort of quotes.
    I had a 1l 18 year old Fiesta for my first car (3 years ago and it's STILL running like a dream) and my insurance was only about £800. :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    You're a bird...insurance is half the price for you anyway

ReputationRep:
    Birds drive?

She's female.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samsung12)
    How come no matter where i get my quotes they are wanting to charge me £5000. its ridiculas, yess i am only 18 and just passed my test but £5000! for a corsa, thats taking the p**s unless i am doing something wrong when applying but ive checked and checked again.

not being funny but who the hell is going to pay £5000 for annual insurance.

how come i read on here that youngsters are getting quoted around £1500. i would be happy with that but i am just not getting it

any tips on getting cheaper quotes?

Thanks
    do you live in the bronx?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maverick_James)

James
    ignore this crap advice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PhilMc)
    Birds drive?

She's female.
    Yeh she's female like I said :confused:

ReputationRep:
    wowo, £5000 - , my two cars are less than that and im 19, where'd you get that quote?? which corsa is it? engine size? make sure it's immobilised, kept off the street if poss, and with named drivers maybe.. id say you should be aiming for 1200-1700..

ReputationRep:
    It's just cost me £589 Fully comp (1yr NCB) to insure my car at my uni address, on the street but it would be £843 TPFT to insure my car at home parked on the drive...

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.