Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    i'm not sure where to post this, so i chose here. i think i'll repost it in the physics and maths forums (there really should be a philosophy forum too. ) if i can do that.

anyway the thing is i was planning to apply for a maths and physics degree at uni, but i have just recently realised i have a really strong interest in philosophy. i feel like i have such a passion for it - and so it makes me think this is what i should be studying at degree level right?

my a levels are maths, physics, chemistry, french(AS), further maths(AS) and so i have no essay writing subjects, or philosophy for that matter. this is one problem. i got A*s and As for my essay writing GCSEs (RE history english) and for a level ive got AAAA, but it still worries me that i wont be able to cope with the essay writing.

The second problem is what joint degree to do - if i do in the end decide to do philosophy, do i apply for philosophy with physics, or philosophy with maths? i do enjoy both physics and maths a lot, but i'm not sure which one more.

i would really appreciate any advice anyone could give.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flower404)
    i'm not sure where to post this, so i chose here. i think i'll repost it in the physics and maths forums (there really should be a philosophy forum too. ) if i can do that.

anyway the thing is i was planning to apply for a maths and physics degree at uni, but i have just recently realised i have a really strong interest in philosophy. i feel like i have such a passion for it - and so it makes me think this is what i should be studying at degree level right?

my a levels are maths, physics, chemistry, french(AS), further maths(AS) and so i have no essay writing subjects, or philosophy for that matter. this is one problem. i got A*s and As for my essay writing GCSEs (RE history english) and for a level ive got AAAA, but it still worries me that i wont be able to cope with the essay writing.

The second problem is what joint degree to do - if i do in the end decide to do philosophy, do i apply for philosophy with physics, or philosophy with maths? i do enjoy both physics and maths a lot, but i'm not sure which one more.

i would really appreciate any advice anyone could give.
    You could probably do it as Natural Sciences in Durham, I am not sure how well it would fit though. And do all 3 subjects.

ReputationRep:
    I think Physics and Philosophy is best.
    Physics incorporates maths into it, so you've go that, but I also think it's more practical and very very related to philosophy.

But there you go.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 26, 2007

University open days

• Southampton Solent University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Sun, 18 Nov '18
  • University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.