Turn on thread page Beta

Hey, I've posted this for quite a few unis on TSR (Warwick, Durham, York, Bristol and St Andrews respectively) I received a Leeds undergraduate prospectus in the post the other day and it looked pretty good. I hope I'm not posting too many questions all at once! Here goes…

Is there anyone from Northampton going/thinking of applying to Leeds either this year or in 2008? < I'm not sure why I keep on asking this question! I guess it's just nice/reassuring to know if someone from 'my' hometown is going to Leeds/intending on applying.

Is there anyone here that knows much about the joint honours in Philosophy and English Literature? - if yes; what's it like? Are you enjoying it so far? What grades/subjects did you apply with?

What is the social life like at Leeds university? I.e. is there a strong emphasis on the Student Union? Are there lots of societies to join? Is yes, what would you recommend?

Is Leeds overly fussy about GCSE grades? I have good A level results but I didn't do so well at GCSE.

I'm kind of scared/apprehensive about going to university (even though I'll be 20 by 2008 entry - I look very young for my age which doesn't help!). I'm quite shy but I'm up for a laugh and I do want to meet new people. Just very nervous at the same time.

Any info would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance,

Laus xx

ReputationRep:
    I did really well at A Level for my chosen subject (English, got full marks on several papers) but only a few As at GCSE (compared to some of my coursemates who got tons of A*s etc). I actually got rejected by everywhere I applied to for uni except Leeds, and I've had quite a few Firsts now... go figure.

Leeds' union (LUU) is easily the best in the country, we win tons of awards and it's seriously better than any other I've seen. It's very much the focal area of the campus and there's so much going on there, it's a real hub of activity. In terms of socialness, Leeds is definitely awesome. Those places you listed are all good universities but I don't think any of them have anything on Leeds as cities in their own rights. Luckily, Leeds is a decent uni too so it's the best of both.

I don't do Philosophy but I have a few friends who do and they seem to enjoy it. I've made a lot of long posts about the English course so check out my post history if you wanna know more about that aspect!

Don't worry about the age thing, stuff like that tends to matter less by the time you're at uni.

Thanks for your post.

I don't feel too great about applying to other unis now. Will I really be penalised for not having pulled my socks up in year 11? I had know idea that GCSE's were that important (back then anyway). Did you do well in your other A level subjects too?

Well, I'm glad you got into Leeds. Are you enjoying your course so far?

I must admit, it does look like a good uni. I'm not much of a clubber but I do want to have a good and varied social life.

I'll take a look at your previous posts. Thanks again.

ReputationRep:
    Aw, don't worry too much. It was explained to me that since they had a high amount of candidates applying with predicted grades of AAA (I had these, but got AABB in the end), they have to go back to 'proven' results to differentiate between candidates. Your personal statement is obviously important too. Really though, it's not worth getting too nervous about - not a lot you can do now, and every case is different so don't take my word for it.

I'm loving Leeds; I start my third year in a few weeks and I wish I was back in the position all the new freshers are in, it's been the best few years of my life, no question. I hate clubbing too but Leeds has an amazing music scene. I love my punk and hardcore punk and there's a really good local community for that kinda thing (plus other general 'rock' bands). There's definitely something for everyone.

ReputationRep:
    haha GCSE not important i didnt get a single A grade at GCSE level and they let me in on a Law course

ReputationRep:
    I got an offer for English with below 'average' GCSE grades for an English applicant, turned out I missed the offer anyway so I'm doing philosophy at Leeds instead. So i guess neither department are that fussy.

ReputationRep:
    i would assume if you already have your A level results your GCSE results will be relatively less important. for those who are applying when they have yet to receive their A level results, it will be more important to see how they have done in the past. as long as you got a "high pass" that is to say a C or above in english and maths i dont think they care all that much.

and everyone is in the same situation - wanting to make friends, meet people and have a good time! so dont worry about anything like that. everyone will be just a nervous as you. make sure you live in student accom. for the first year though at least. that way you're with people just like you!

Thanks calculations. I guess the uni will be able to assess my academic ability/potential based on my A level results. Some year 12s don't 'cash in' their AS results so they have to go by predicted grades and previous achievement (which is where GCSEs come in handy). I got BB in English and I'm taking my last two modules in November for Maths (I only took foundation level in main school so I thought I'd give Intermediate a shot). My A level results are AAAAB < the two highest grades are in Philosophy and English Lit so surely that's a better indicator than GCSE?

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.