Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    ...and I'm very annoyed about it.

Background: Work at subway. New store. Doing LOADS of hours each week (60 average last 2 weeks - my own choice). Basically, without appearing too big headed, the store has done well because I've been there taking all the shifts as I'm covering my hours, a full time member who quit and a part-time member who got fired. So basically, the owners have had an 8-5 luxury when I imagine most other people who open a subway are pulling in 120 hour weeks for a while at first!

Anyway, on friday which is our busiest day, we were even more so busy and more busy in the evening than usual. There were 6 people on in the daytime over lunch (I worked 12-3) but 2 on at night (from 6:30-11:00 close, me being one). I went home for two hours between 3 and 5, and returned to find nothing much done other than making new food to be served, which is fair enough, as you need it to serve the customers.

So, basically, all the cleaning and washing up was left for the 2 at night, to do while we served people. Usually, we have 2/3 hours where we have 5-6 people in and the other 2 and a half hours are busy with 15-25 people in. Well, every hour we had at least 15 and even 28 at one point according to the till stats that I can view. So, we had little time to clean as we couldn't stop serving customers.

We had to bake more bread than usual, 2x as much at night. And more cookies than usual which all takes time and means the cooker and 2 other big parts (bread riser and cooler) cant be cleaned until they are no longer in use and cooled down.

I left the washing up we had done in the back to dry instead of putting it back to make a point about how much we were left. Essentially, it was everything we had. All metal baking tray (we must have at least 75), about 50 orange foam like thinks that we use for bread, about 10 cookie trays, about 80 tubs that food goes in, all the knives and loads of other random objects as well as stuff we had to wash up and put back out (such as coke machine parts, shelves for oven and riser).

Anyway, in the end we got out at 12:40. This wouldn't be a problem but they think we can finish by 11:30, so don't pay us afterwards. This clearly isn't the case on our busiest days (thur/fri/sat) and I told them this today.

What I am annoyed about is that one of the owners who told me off listed all the things we didn't go correctly, including things we HAD cleaned but she said we had not (I know we did them, as I did them myself).

What we had missed were minor things. Dirt on an oven handle, the toaster oven that is cleaned in the daytime anyway. One window was dirty. A surface looked dirty. This would take 10minutes to do, if that. Mopping another 10.

I know we did a poor job of mopping. But she could have done it in the morning. She'd rather do that than us forget something like defrost bread so she can't sell anything the next day.

Anyway, I'm pissed off at a few things:

1) The fact the other owner said she is probably only really pissed off at the note we left on the white board saying something like "can daytime staff please do some washing up and not leave it for nighttime staff, we got out at 12:40am".

She said herself she brought her daughter in today as she knew we were behind on friday so would have missed things. So she expected some stuff missed, which further supports she was only pissed off at that note.

2) The fact she said "had you been here until 12:40 and done it all right, I'd have thought ok, and paid you, but you didn't do a good enough job". She probably wouldn't have paid me, and I must have done about 5 hours unpaid in the time I've worked there (about 3 weeks) so that was just said to annoy me further. Cleaning takes about 2.5-3hours, but on quiet days we can start it early or do bits while customers are in, so that it ends up only taking 30-40mins after closing.

3) The fact there was zero appreciation for what we did do. We did a lot after closing, stuff we would have done during opening hours had we not been so busy. We were preparing food such as chicken portions and bread, and then 1hour later it was gone. So we had to make more. This took our time. They have CCTV, they can see what we did.

4) The fact she said "I know you've done a lot of hours, so maybe you were just tired and working slow". This hit a nerve. Okay, I get quite tired mid week, but my shifts are ok at the weekend, that I can pull out 10-11 hours sleep sometimes between days at work, so I was definitely not tired and felt wide awake.

5) The fact I work 7 day week, again by my own choice. I don't purposely miss things out or do a bad job, because it's me the next day who is screwed if I do. Sure, if I worked only weekends I may not care on a Sunday how behind I am on the next days preparation, but when its me who will be working my ass off the next day, I am going to do a good job.

6) The fact she said they were going to come down and help but felt 'we could handle it'. Why did they not phone and say 'I'm going to bring my daughter in tomorrow, so if you cant do something don't worry'.

7) The fact we made an extra £250-£300 compared to last week and they cant be bothered to give away £10 to pay us from 11:30 - 12:30.

8) The fact she said 'if you had a problem, should have called me'. Okay, I'll call you at midnight, wake you up, make you drive the 10 minute journey so you can come mop as I'm running over time? No. Firstly, this is the first I've heard of this idea we can call them for such things. Secondly, how pissed off would she be at that.

Soooo yea. That was my rant. But I think SHE was in the wrong really, for not appreciating what we did do. I'm really annoyed about this, as I'm sure you can tell.

I need the money, so can't quit. But felt like doing so. I was rather upset today at work while talking to the other owner and telling him my issues with the whole thing.

I think I may refuse to work friday nights unless there are 3 staff. But I cant quit, I need the money and I do like the job and the people, but now I feel like only talking to the one owner when I really have to. I can't walk out at 11:30 and stop, as it's my shift who suffers as I seem to do every shift. Catch 22.

So yeah, just wondered what people think, and whether I was in the wrong or her (more so). I think she could have handled it better. Simply saying "I appreciate what you did do, and that you were really busy but..." would have been fine. But she didn't care.

Worked tonight, got out at 12:15. Back in tomorrow at 10am. 2 people all day. Last sunday we left an hour later than usual.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    This is typical behaviour of a shop owner/manager. In reality they have very little apprecation of their staff, who are treated like pathetic sheep.

ReputationRep:
    Some managers are just little hitlers, who dont ever actually have to do the job you do, and so dont understand some of the problems associated with it.

I dont think you can realisitically expect any appreciation from a manager - to them you are the lowest of the low - they pay you so they dont have to thank you for your effort. If you feel that you should be paid for those hours you worked extra you have to bring it up with the manager, and then decide how important the job is to you if theres no prospect of being paid extra.

Unfortunately, part time jobs are crap... and you have to do crap work for the money. I've done worse. I worked at a chinese takeaway in stirchley, where the manager used to shout at me constantly - and usually it was the chefs' fault as they didnt speak enough english. I ended up quitting despite desperately needing teh money. I struggled at college after because i couldnt afford the bus fare, but to be honest i have more pride than to let people treat me that way. The job i have now is just as unrewarding and unfulfilling, but i dont get treated like that and so I'm happy to carry on.

I guess its down to priorities.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm well I do like her, and have got on fine minus this. I think I'll write up a note for her, and ask her tomorrow again if we are getting paid, and if not she can read it.

The joke is, they are impressed and I am probably one of the better staff. Ironically, they said I'd have been made manager if I was a permanent staff and not going back to uni, and they keep saying how screwed they will be when I leave.

I'm just a little annoyed how the owners never do the night shifts, only the opening and morning shifts. Therefore they pretty much miss out on the majority of cleaning. Sure, they do some. But no where near the amount the night time staff do.

ReputationRep:
    I think I'm quite lucky in as much as where I work, it's an independent restautant which is very succesfull, run by a husband/wife partnership. So obviously we have to work extremely hard because the standards are naturally the highest, but the good thing is that we are appreciated for it, because if the standards dropped, their income would drop too! So it's good because if we end up working say an extra 15/30 mins than normal (mainly dishwasher stuff like the OP lol), they can just put their hand in the till and hand us some cash!

I have loads of friends who work in chain stores like clothes shops, chain restaurants and shoe shops where the managers think theyre so important and are extremely bitter people - probs cos they realise that that's their destiny!

ReputationRep:
    Well subway is a franchise... so as far as the owners are concerned, it's every man for themselves and dont care who gets crushed along the way. Most franchised shops/restaurants are owened by people who have had to take out loans and huge remortgages to finance it so you can see why they take advantage.

Spark, they'll be shafted when you leave... you can just keep thinkning that to yourself when they get arsey. lol.

ReputationRep:
    Wow, I'm glad the manager at the shop I work at isn't like that! I remember once being in trouble one morning when she said "Actually walk round and show me what you did do (cleaning), because to be quite honest I can't see that you've done any!" I went round pointing at what I'd done, and I was feeling quite indignant inside because I'd done a lot of it personally and I thought at the time I'd done a perfectly okay job, but then when she started pointing out all the stuff I had forgotten etc., I realised that although I'd done all the obvious stuff, I'd forgotten some of the smaller things which still need doing - so she had a point really. Plus she's generally appreciative of what you do do etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HistoryStudent)
    Wow, I'm glad the manager at the shop I work at isn't like that! I remember once being in trouble one morning when she said "Actually walk round and show me what you did do (cleaning), because to be quite honest I can't see that you've done any!" I went round pointing at what I'd done, and I was feeling quite indignant inside because I'd done a lot of it personally and I thought at the time I'd done a perfectly okay job, but then when she started pointing out all the stuff I had forgotten etc., I realised that although I'd done all the obvious stuff, I'd forgotten some of the smaller things which still need doing - so she had a point really. Plus she's generally appreciative of what you do do etc.
    That's the problem I had. I missed mostly minor things, and it's too easy to come in and say 'you missed this, this and this' in the moring. I mean, on Saturday all I missed was a few crumbs under one table. Fair enough. But they were still there the next day when I opened. Why didn't they sweep them up, and tell me when I got in, and not made me pick it up.

ReputationRep:
    This is EXACTLY what used to drive me mad about working at subway! I'm soooo glad I quit that place!

ReputationRep:
    Be sure to coat her in southwest and chilli source on you last day.

ReputationRep:
    Wow, the place has only just opened and the owner/manger is already being a total ********.

Either put up with it or get out asap. Chances are things will get worse, unless you can get on the owners good side! You sound like a bloody hard worker, jeez they should cut you some slack.
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    You either need to tell the owner that you will be finishing at 11:30pm as that's when she stops paying you, or tell her that you want your pay back dated for overtime. Working with no pay is lubricious. You're not a martyr, and she'll start taking advantage of you for it.

ReputationRep:
    wow that was a long post

ReputationRep:
    It was a flowing read, spark - I edit a student magazine at UCL would you be interested in doing a piece for me? I cant pay you (I can't pay myself =() but if you would be just send me a pm.

Oh and good luck at work =( Working for no pay (OT) sucks :./

ReputationRep:
    I used to work at a pub where the owner would expect staff to stay on after work and clean up for nothing - I always put my coat on and shouted cheerio (he would be at one of the tables drinking with his mates) - if he asked about the clearing up I would state I don't work for free but if im being paid for my time im happy to stay on and clean up.

Just put the same point across to your boss.

Incidently are you working with a key holder or does the owner pop by to lock up?

ReputationRep:
    Well everything was sorted out, they slowly have realised they were wrong, but it was more of a slow confession than an out-right apology. But still, as long as they know what was wrong so it doesn't happen again I'm ok.

ReputationRep:
    Are they going to pay you for the overtime you did?

ReputationRep:
    That is a *****, I work at Tesco and I have been given no training and get yelled out for screwing up, and when I explain they haven't trained me they don't wanna hear. Sorry about your situation.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.