Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I just wanted to tell all prospective and current IB students that Math HL is by far the most rewarding and comprehensive course on the entire IB curriculum, and that if you are in any doubt about whether or not to do it, DO IT!

Whatever you do, DONT do Maths Methods. The course covers quite a lot of the HL material but is still only a SL and nobody will really know the difference between Maths Studies SL and Maths Methods SL. If you really despise maths do studies, otherwise go for HL!

ReputationRep:
    But maths HL is the most difficult subject on IB... no? That's what I heard anyway...

ReputationRep:
    It is I think....there is a looot to remember and i guess it's where your passions lie...i don't particularly like maths and cant say that im amazing at it but i feel really rewarded at the end of a maths HL chapter, if i can answer most of the questions

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by afua12)
    But maths HL is the most difficult subject on IB... no? That's what I heard anyway...
    Yes, it probably is. But it's also a subject that you are quite likely to get a good grade in if you apply yourself to it and take it seriously (unlike essay-based subjects, where there's much more uncertainty). At the end of it you will emerge feeling that you have really achieved something and will have acquired an excellent mathematical foundation.

ReputationRep:
    imo, I think that any difficult subject is rewarding... you get out what you put in...

does anyone know why there is such a massive gap betweent he HL and SL Maths? surely it would make more sense to have the gaps between subject levels all the same...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KwungSun)
    Yes, it probably is. But it's also a subject that you are quite likely to get a good grade in if you apply yourself to it and take it seriously (unlike essay-based subjects, where there's much more uncertainty). At the end of it you will emerge feeling that you have really achieved something and will have acquired an excellent mathematical foundation.
    I'm not a maths person at all... but I will always remember the maths coursework I had to do for GCSE... msot rewarding piece of work I have ever done! Spent absolutely ages working on these two investigations, reading through books and teaching myself relevant maths to use... I was predicted a C, but came out with two A*s, so that was my little achievement...

so I can kind of imagine how you must feel...

ReputationRep:
    imo, I think that any difficult subject is rewarding... you get out what you put in...

does anyone know why there is such a massive gap betweent he HL and SL Maths? surely it would make more sense to have the gaps between subject levels all the same...
    Well there's three courses for maths: studies, methods and higher. The gap between higher and methods is probably the same as any SL/HL gap, but then they've also added studies for people with absolutely no mathematical inclination. I guess you have to see studies and methods as one SL/HL gap, and then methods and higher as another SL/HL gap.

ReputationRep:
    Well there's three courses for maths: studies, methods and higher. The gap between higher and methods is probably the same as any SL/HL gap, but then they've also added studies for people with absolutely no mathematical inclination. I guess you have to see studies and methods as one SL/HL gap, and then methods and higher as another SL/HL gap.
    I don't know hat Maths Methods is...

This is our schools first year of the IB, so we have a limited number of courses available... we were told we could do Maths Studies, Maths SL, or Maths HL...

ReputationRep:
    I don't know hat Maths Methods is...

This is our schools first year of the IB, so we have a limited number of courses available... we were told we could do Maths Studies, Maths SL, or Maths HL...
    I guess your school calls Maths Methods "Maths SL" then...(or maybe the names have changed since my day?)

The main difference is in terms of treatment of calculus. In studies you do none, in Methods (or Maths SL) you do differentiation, in HL you do differentiation and integration. Of course there's plenty of other differences but the main thing is really the calculus.

ReputationRep:
    I just wanted to tell all prospective and current IB students that Math HL is by far the most rewarding and comprehensive course on the entire IB curriculum, and that if you are in any doubt about whether or not to do it, DO IT!

Whatever you do, DONT do Maths Methods. The course covers quite a lot of the HL material but is still only a SL and nobody will really know the difference between Maths Studies SL and Maths Methods SL. If you really despise maths do studies, otherwise go for HL!
    This is rubbish advice. Of course universities know that there is a big difference between SL methods and SL studies.

HL maths is not for everyone. If you are in any doubt whether or not to do HL maths, play it safe and do SL methods.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by korektphool)
    This is rubbish advice. Of course universities know that there is a big difference between SL methods and SL studies.

HL maths is not for everyone. If you are in any doubt whether or not to do HL maths, play it safe and do SL methods.
    But it's also true that HL Maths is useful no matter which subject you plan on doing at uni.

So I guess it should be revised to "If in doubt, do HL Maths (if you're capable)"

Meow.

ReputationRep:
    I think the sciences are by far the hardest.

Maths HL is pretty easy, and rewarding.

Then again, different people have different strengths.

ReputationRep:
    I would like to point out that it also depends largely on what you want to do or need at/for uni.

If you don't need Maths HL for uni, and can get out of HL, why create more work for yourself? Yes, the sense of achievement is nice, but by the time you get to uni, it hardly matters what you did at high school anymore (I'm not being flippant, it's true). Your high school results only matters so far as to get you into uni. Once you're in no one cares whether you did IB or not.

As people pointed out, HL really isn't for everyone. If I had a choice, back then, I wouldn't have done it, despite the fact that now I am glad I did HL because it really does help me in what I do at uni. The simple reason is, I don't enjoy maths. I can do it, I think I'm capable of more than what I got but I don't enjoy it so I never put much effort into it. Yes, it's bad, but that's also because that's just my preference.

But it's also true that HL Maths is useful no matter which subject you plan on doing at uni.
    I would disagree. If you're doing a purely social science degree at uni, Maths HL wouldn't really help you much.

I'm not saying don't do HL, or that the achievement is not worth it, I'm saying, yes, while it's nice knowing, in the end, that you managed to learn this huge HL syllabus, if you're not going to enjoy yourself, you don't need it for anything, never going to use it again and would end up hating the class for 2 years, why do it to yourself?

I guess your school calls Maths Methods "Maths SL" then...(or maybe the names have changed since my day?)
    Yes it had changed. The last time it was called Methods was back in Novebember 2005 I think. After May 06 it's Maths SL.

ReputationRep:

The main difference is in terms of treatment of calculus. In studies you do none, in Methods (or Maths SL) you do differentiation, in HL you do differentiation and integration. Of course there's plenty of other differences but the main thing is really the calculus.
    The exam questions are a lot more straight-forward in Maths SL, than in HL. They have an annoying habit of interweaving different topics in confusing ways in HL questions, while SL ones are generally a lot simpler.

It's not so much the syllabus that differs, but how the syllabus is treated in the exam.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gurk)
    The exam questions are a lot more straight-forward in Maths SL, than in HL. They have an annoying habit of interweaving different topics in confusing ways in HL questions, while SL ones are generally a lot simpler.

It's not so much the syllabus that differs, but how the syllabus is treated in the exam.
    That "annoying habit" is called assessing proper mathematical ability. Someone in this thread stated that Maths HL requires you to "memorize a lot". I beg to differ. If you are good at mathematics you need not learn anything, and certainly you would not be annoyed at their interweaving of different topics. The IBO does this exactly to catch people who have been rote-learning methods and thus penalize people who have not understood the fundamental logical aspect of the course.
    You could go into the exams with very little preparation beyond actual skill and still get 120/120. Yet you could prepare for months and end up with 50/120, proving that you have misunderstood the purpose of the course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Siddhartha)
    That "annoying habit" is called assessing proper mathematical ability.
    I'm well aware of that - I wasn't being serious. The merit of Maths HL is that "annoying habit", as it shows proof of mathematical skill, rather than purely the ability to learn by repetition.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by korektphool)

I disagree completely. No university will give you credit for Maths Methods (SL). Either they will ask why you didn't do higher level or they will say they don't care about what level of maths you did. By taking methods you're creating work for yourself that will effectively go unrecognised (Again maybe things have changed in the last few years with the names now being different, but back when it was methods and studies no-one outside the programme knew which was better.)

ReputationRep:
    Hello!!!!! my algebra skills are terrible. Since i want to do law, i'd rather get a 6 for SL than a 4/5 for HL. I do so many extra curricular activities i won't have the time to commit to HL maths.

My teacher says only do HL maths if you get an A/A*!!!!!!! although realistically you should get A* for maths if you want a 7!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deranged_dragon)

So I guess it should be revised to "If in doubt, do HL Maths (if you're capable)"

Meow.
    Someone in this forum got into cambridge law with SL MATHEMATICAL STUDIES, so why the hell bother with HL maths if you're doing an art!

And how the hell do you know you're capable when you haven't any experience in it (duh!). I agree with the guy from hong kong... if you're doing a subject that doesn't require HL maths, play safe and stick to SL maths.

By the way to the creator of the thread, IBO changed the name from SL Mathematical Methods to SL Mathematics.

ReputationRep:
    I disagree completely. No university will give you credit for Maths Methods (SL). Either they will ask why you didn't do higher level or they will say they don't care about what level of maths you did. By taking methods you're creating work for yourself that will effectively go unrecognised (Again maybe things have changed in the last few years with the names now being different, but back when it was methods and studies no-one outside the programme knew which was better.)
    You're insulting my aunt who is an admission's officer at oxford university. She knows about ALL the examination systems from 150 different countries. Of course she knows the difference between methods and studies! :mad:
    She said there is a far bigger difference between methods and studies than HL and methods! DUH!

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Applying to university
Uni match

Your perfect course is here

Let our match making tool match you up with your ideal uni

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.