The Student Room Group

Trinity college interviewees!

Has anyone got an interview at Oxford and is staying at Trinity college? I have interviews for French and Linguistics from 8th-10th and will be there from the 7th! :smile:
Congrats! I hope the interview went well for you. I will also be applying to Oxford to do French and Linguistics next year for 2018 entry which doesn't seem too far away ahh :s

How did your interview go? What sort of things did they ask for French and linguistics, as linguistics is not usually studied by applicants before? Did you have an oral test for French and how did you choose your college?
Original post by purpleday32
Congrats! I hope the interview went well for you. I will also be applying to Oxford to do French and Linguistics next year for 2018 entry which doesn't seem too far away ahh :s

How did your interview go? What sort of things did they ask for French and linguistics, as linguistics is not usually studied by applicants before? Did you have an oral test for French and how did you choose your college?

Sorry for the late reply! I thought the interviews went really badly but I ended up receiving an offer so they can't have been too bad :smile: I had 1 French interview, 1 linguistics interview and 1 combined interview. In the first French interview I was given a passage to analyse which I really struggled with but the tutor worked with me to help me come up with some ideas. Then I had to talk about the books I'd read in French, and the final 5 minutes of the interview was a short conversation in French about musical theatre (I mentioned in my Personal Statement that this was a hobby of mine!)

The linguistics interview was quite hard but the interviewer KNOWS you won't have studied linguistics before. My tutor made it very clear to me that he wasn't expecting me to know all the answers and he just wanted me to give it a go. I was given some weird languages to analyse patterns in and then some jokes and I had to discuss what they told us about languages. Then I had to talk about how English differs from French and we had a nice conversation about that!

In my joint French and Linguistics interview (this was at Keble) I had 45 minutes to work through a French passage and some short linguistics based exercises talking about tenses, which I found fairly easy actually (if you're into grammar like I am this sort of stuff will be fascinating to you haha!) and then I had a conversation about the passage and about linguistics with my tutors and I was also given some French translation to do on the spot.

The experience was really fun though. I'm probably not going to accept my offer from Oxford only because I feel like it's not the best place for me right now, but the interview was honestly such a great experience and I met some really lovely people!!

I chose my college by looking round a few at the open days and asking students about them, and when I was at Trinity I just thought it was a beautiful place to be (and I had heard that the food was impeccable... they weren't wrong)

Good luck for your application next year, if you end up needing help in the application process feel free to let me know :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest