Legal Practice Course questions Watch

Confectionary
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
I keep hearing about proposed changes to the LPC or training contract, do you think the LPC will still be in place in 4/5 years time?

If you done the LPC over 2 years whilst gaining legal work experience would this be viewed by firms as a positive (gaining experience) or a negative (taking 2 years to do the LPC)?

If you took this route when would you apply for training contracts? The summer of the last year of your degree? What would happen regarding the funding of the LPC and maintenance grants, you would get your TC offer (if you got one) on 1st September and would be starting the LPC a few weeks later so you do start after you get your offer?

Thanks
litispendence
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Confectionary)
I keep hearing about proposed changes to the LPC or training contract, do you think the LPC will still be in place in 4/5 years time?
Yes... I can see them tweaking it, but not getting rid of it.

If you done the LPC over 2 years whilst gaining legal work experience would this be viewed by firms as a positive (gaining experience) or a negative (taking 2 years to do the LPC)?
I think firms understand you taking the LPC over two years for financial reasons. I don't think it would give a negative impression anyway.

If you took this route when would you apply for training contracts? The summer of the last year of your degree?
Most people I've known to have taken that route have been looking for a TC with the firm they do paralegalling with.

If you want to work for a big commercial law firm, you wouldn't need to stretch out the LPC an extra year because you would know you have a TC at the end and know your LPC is paid for.

What would happen regarding the funding of the LPC and maintenance grants, you would get your TC offer (if you got one) on 1st September and would be starting the LPC a few weeks later so you do start after you get your offer?
If you do your LPC whilst working for a firm who is interested in giving you a TC, they may pay for it.

If you want a TC with a commercial law firm, you should apply a year before your start your LPC.
Purple
Badges: 15
Report 11 years ago
Dont you apply 2 years before you want your training contract to start not a year before you start your LPC?
litispendence
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by kirstinx)
Dont you apply 2 years before you want your training contract to start not a year before you start your LPC?
Fair point - technically yeah. But most people apply in their final year and go straight to their LPC.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

I LOVE a Black Friday deal (577)
47.06%
Nah, Black Friday is pointless (379)
30.91%
I don't have an opinion (270)
22.02%

Watched Threads