The Student Room Group

biochemistry

I really want to do biochemistry at uni because I really enjoy science. but I have heard it is really hard to get a job afterward. can someone please tell me if this is true. I have also heard that you are on it likely to get a job if you have done your masters or Ph.D. but I don't mind doing that. can someone please give me advice on whether I should take this course. also what other courses can I do, I take biology chemistry and psychology for a level . lastly what jobs can i get with a biochemistry degree
Original post by uka_qwer
I really want to do biochemistry at uni because I really enjoy science. but I have heard it is really hard to get a job afterward. can someone please tell me if this is true. I have also heard that you are on it likely to get a job if you have done your masters or Ph.D. but I don't mind doing that. can someone please give me advice on whether I should take this course. also what other courses can I do, I take biology chemistry and psychology for a level . lastly what jobs can i get with a biochemistry degree

ngl, this is the case with every degree now, trust me. BSc's just don't cut it anymore because so many people do bachelor degrees now. I know so many people who have degrees who just work in pubs and shops now. It's a big waste of money if you ask me. So basically, any degree you do, you will have to go and do a masters/PhD if you want a realistic chance of getting a good job in the future. I even know a few people who went to cambridge and are now having to do another degree because they can't get employed because they only did a bachelors. So in my opinion, go for biochem and then do a masters/PhD after, as you said. In terms of jobs, I don't know, but you would assume you could apply for any research job that requires knowledge in biochemistry, and there are a lot.

You might aswell do what you enjoy, there's no point doing a degree you hate because it might give you a better job at the end of it (I know a few miserable people who have done that) haha
Reply 2
Original post by AortaStudyMore
ngl, this is the case with every degree now, trust me. BSc's just don't cut it anymore because so many people do bachelor degrees now. I know so many people who have degrees who just work in pubs and shops now. It's a big waste of money if you ask me. So basically, any degree you do, you will have to go and do a masters/PhD if you want a realistic chance of getting a good job in the future. I even know a few people who went to cambridge and are now having to do another degree because they can't get employed because they only did a bachelors. So in my opinion, go for biochem and then do a masters/PhD after, as you said. In terms of jobs, I don't know, but you would assume you could apply for any research job that requires knowledge in biochemistry, and there are a lot.

You might aswell do what you enjoy, there's no point doing a degree you hate because it might give you a better job at the end of it (I know a few miserable people who have done that) haha

thank you that really helped me a lot x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending