ardoyne01
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Good...morning all,

OK, so after a bit of though, consideration and research, I've concluded that I'd like to study law at university.

I'd also like to study law at one of the "2nd group of unis" (LSE, UCL, Notts, Durham etc.)

However, the problem lies in the fact that these unis require AAA and I only got ABB at A-level. One of my B's (German) is being re-marked but that's largely neither here nor there.

My question is do such universities accept post-A-level re-sits (I'd be doing an absolute maximum of 3)? One of my A-levels (English L/L) was an intensive course done over 1 year but I assume that such universities would want/expect pupils to achieve the required grades first time around.

After all is said and done, am I being unrealistic? Please do tell me if I am because I do not want to waste my time, my teachers' time and the times of others.

Many thanks in advance,

ardoyne01
Mensan1
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I actually think the uni's will be fine if u took that english on to another year, but I'd call them to find out for sure. Remember, uni's know more than us about how they view things. But I doubt you'd stand much chance of getting in without 3 A's in two years. If that German gets upgraded then you'll probably be okay but if not, I doubt it's worth hoping too hard. Or, if you do, just apply to 2 of the second bracket uni's at most. This is just my opinion but it'd be interesting how others view it...
a_t
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by UCL)
What if I don’t meet the three As entry requirement and intend to resit some exams?

We would not normally offer a place to an applicant who will not achieve three grade A passes at A-level in the first sitting. However, if an applicant’s examination performance has not met expectations because of extenuating circumstances (for example illness, family trauma, school staffing or time-tabling difficulties) and the school provides full information in the academic reference of the application, we would be sympathetic to resits.
I dunno if you doing an A level in one year would qualify as extenuating circumstances
TommehR
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Pfft, there are people at UCL in my year who have AAB and even ABB. You could give it a shot. I'm not sure your chances are that great though. The people who got in with AAB and ABB are those who were predicted AAA and were given AAA offers, but who then miss their offers. If the uni sees that you already have ABB then they might not be as willing to make you an offer.

You're best bet would be to call up the departments of the different universities and explain your circumstances. Or you could just hope for the best, but explain about the one-year A-level in your Personal Statement. I would definitely have some back-up universities though, and don't get your hopes up for the top ones.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (23)
6.82%
They might tell the bully (33)
9.79%
I don't think they'd understand (51)
15.13%
It might lead to more bullying (128)
37.98%
There's nothing they could do (102)
30.27%

Watched Threads

Latest