The Student Room Group

What effect does the Sutton Trust Summer School have on university applications?

Just wondering if a university would be more attracted to someone that had attended this rather than someone that had attended a regular paid-for summer school?
Reply 1
Original post by xxx-ooo-xxx
Just wondering if a university would be more attracted to someone that had attended this rather than someone that had attended a regular paid-for summer school?

For starters, the summer school will provide useful information for you when it comes to applying for uni, you'll receive lots of help for admission tests; personal statement; any problems and questions you have. You'll get the chance to meet some admission tutors who will provide useful info when it comes to applying. They also have a tendency to reduce the offer requirements to applicants if they go to the uni they attended the summer school to (Nottingham and Newcastle are a good example of this).

I did the Nottingham Summer School programmes around 3 yrs ago, so those that also did it with me and a few others who did Sutton Trust received offers with lower requirements (though I didn't apply to Nottingham since I didn't want to go uni at home).

You'll get support throughout your time in uni. I'm uncertain about paid summer school, but they usually are the same, except they only offer short term benefits (as in help with your application)such as help with personal statement; interview techniques; help with admission tests all which are also provided by non fee summer school. The free summer school programmes are limited, requires a personal statement and reference, and are quite competitive (they have grade requirements). Whereas the paid ones are first come first serve really (I think the Oxbridge one, has a GCSE requirement though).

Quick Reply

Latest