Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I posted this in the EE topics thread earlier, but I am not sure if that is the proper place. So:

I have heard that theoretical physics essays are the hardest to get good grades on. However, I am not really interested in doing an experiment.

I have just now started the IB, and I will have to choose soon my topic. I have some ideas, but I wonder if anyone could help me refine them?

I am quite interested in the some of the new methods of space travel that are being thought of/tested now. I especially like the concepts on solar wind, and the solar sail. But, I am unsure of how to pose this into a proper question that could let me write a successful essay.

I was thinking on maybe doing research on how the material of solar sails could be improved to make them more efficient. Does this sound acceptable?

(Sorry for all the questions.)

ReputationRep:
    Sounds completely out of your depth, to be honest. You're posing a question that NASA and other organisations are pouring huge quantities of money and intelligence into to find the answer. How do you expect to find an answer, with your 4,000 word essay, and a school science lab?

Try for something less...grand. It may be slightly less interesting, but you'll get a better grade.

Look at more realistic proposals, that can be backed up with experiments you can do at school. I believe there is a requirement that your EE must contain practical work of some sort, or your grade will suffer accordingly. You may not want to do an experiment, but you'll be doing an awful lot of them in Physics for your coursework anyway, so one more can't hurt. =)

ReputationRep:
    No really, IB loves primary data. Do an experiment.

I got my ass screwed in geog, cos I did a research paper instead of field study. Then my teacher comes and tell me primary data is the way to go.

Crossing my fingers now.

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Applying to university
Uni match

Your perfect course is here

Let our match making tool match you up with your ideal uni

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.