Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Source:
    http://www.mblog.com/gizmos

London, UK- PEOPLE who spit out chewing and bubble gum are to be fined £50 on the spot.

The new fines will also apply to cigarette ends and matches, though the main thrust of the change is to tackle gum.

The Government is fed up with the £500 million a year clean-up costs for removing gum and it has been decided that the only option is to get tough. The move is also being urged by MPs who have received countless complaints from people who have had clothes ruined by gum on bus and train seats.

The Government is ready to define gum in legislation as “litter” and to give police and community wardens the power to punish the gum spitters.

By defining gum as litter under the law many councils could raise thousands of pounds in extra revenue by stamping hard on the culprits. The plan to introduce fines is set out in a new consultation document, Clean Neighbourhoods, from Alun Michael, the minister responsible for the quality of local environments.

He hopes to begin an advertising campaign next spring to help to change attitudes and to make the practice of gum spitting “uncool”.

Councils receive 80,000 complaints a year from locals fed up with tarnished walkways and town squares. The introduction of a fine is also recognition that the costly methods of removing the gum do not really work.

There are only two main options: one is to blast surfaces with high-pressure water — but that loosens the cement between paving stones. The other is to scrape or chisel the gum from the pavement but that removes a layer of material and leaves white patches on the ground. It also takes a long time and councils can no longer afford to do the work.

It will also be years before a biodegradable gum will be manufactured, say the main gum companies.

The fines will only apply if a police officer or warden sees someone spit or drop gum and the blob is still wet on the ground. They will not be able to take action against individuals later identified for dropping gum that has become embedded on the ground.

Offenders will have to give accurate names and addresses to community and litter wardens or risk facing a fine of up to £1,000.

lol im screeeeeeewed, have to stop spitting my gum out on the streets!!

ReputationRep:
    Well, you should stop doing it anyway. It's disgusting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goldenbarnes)
    Well, you should stop doing it anyway. It's disgusting.
    too right im sick of picking that stuff off my shoes

ReputationRep:
    i usually just wrap it paper and drop it into my bag - not good for my bags really! but if i do spit it out, i make sure it goes into a drain - is that ok, do you think??

ReputationRep:
    Spitting is quite gross anyway but spitting out chewing gum? Why do people do it?? Spit it out into the gum wrapper, a tissue/napkin, an old receipt, even a leaf, and throw it in the bin. Or put it directly into the bin. I don't see how it's difficult! I'm glad there will be fines.
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    least we're not as bad as singapore yet! You can't even buy or chew gum over there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sparkler)
    i usually just wrap it paper and drop it into my bag - not good for my bags really! but if i do spit it out, i make sure it goes into a drain - is that ok, do you think??

Yeah, clogging up drains... that's good!

ReputationRep:
    they should have done that ages ago

ReputationRep:
    GOod.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zapsta)
    Yeah, clogging up drains... that's good!
    gah! oh well then, all the more minty fresh bags for me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sublime_envy)
    least we're not as bad as singapore yet! You can't even buy or chew gum over there.
    Yes you can. But only for medicinal purposes .

ReputationRep:
    Oh well. I dont really chew gum anyway so i'm alright. I feel sorry for my mate, he got addicted to it after using it to stop smoking!! He spends more on gum than he ever did on ciggies!!

ReputationRep:
    Good.

Chewing gum should be wrapped up then binned.

ReputationRep:
    Excellent news. First it was the curfew for under 16s in Central London and now this. Finally they are listening.

ReputationRep:
    Agree with the whole chewing gum thing though a 50 quid fine is a bit steep really. Another thing spitting out chewing gum into a bin imo is fine and better than pissing about putting into a tissue first etc...

ReputationRep:
    I'm glad they're doing this...
    Some gum got stuck on my laces from the street, it's so yukky. And I love those trainers! Anyway know how to get gum off/dissolve it, i think there is some type of oil you can use....

ReputationRep:
    Got gum stuck to my shoe when i was in london. it was quite disgusting. lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BossLady)
    I'm glad they're doing this...
    Some gum got stuck on my laces from the street, it's so yukky. And I love those trainers! Anyway know how to get gum off/dissolve it, i think there is some type of oil you can use....
    put the garment in the freezer- then when the gum is frozen you can snap it off or hit it with a hammer and it will fall off in tiny pieces!!

Ruthie xx

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 11, 2004
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.