sohaail23
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
in my opinion AS PSYCHOLOGY is about memorising everything such as theories and the evaluation, maybe this means im doing this wrong, anyone care to share their opinion?
TSR Jessica
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you've posted in the right place? Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there.

Just quoting in Danny Dorito so she can move the thread if needed :wizard:
Spoiler:
Show
(Original post by Danny Dorito)
x
Findlay6
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by sohaail23)
in my opinion AS PSYCHOLOGY is about memorising everything such as theories and the evaluation, maybe this means im doing this wrong, anyone care to share their opinion?
That's the same in any subject - you need to know the content to pass the exam.

Yes, Psychology is hard and overwhelming if you didn't study it at KS4 unlike other A-Levels. Such is life.

If you were paying attention during the Memory topic, you'll be able to apply what you learnt into practice with your own memory and revision. AO2 ftw.
aleksceramics
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Findlay6)

Yes, Psychology is hard and overwhelming if you didn't study it at KS4 unlike other A-Levels. Such is life.

If you were paying attention during the Memory topic, you'll be able to apply what you learnt into practice with your own memory and revision. AO2 ftw.
Very true! Deep levels of processing and all that

But to answer OP's question, yes AS psychology (and A2) is mostly just about remembering information and regurgitating it onto the exam paper. However, (in edexcel at least) there has been a lot of emphasis on applying the theories you've learned to scenarios in the exam. E.g Tom is revising and listening to music. Using theories of memory processing, explain why it may be difficult for Tom to do this. The answer would be along the lines of applying the working memory model and the phonological loop to the scenario (in that the articulatory rehearsal system would be rehearsing what he's reading and what he's listening to and so not all the information could be processed)
WhatandEver
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Findlay6)

Sorry for hijacking this thread
How long do you spend on a 12 mark question. I need to time myself, since I feel like I'm writing a lot.
WhatandEver
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Also, if I was answering a question on for example the behaviourist approach Would I have to write a strength and weakness for both operant and classical conditioning. Or would one weakness for classical and then one strength for operant be enough?
Just4
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by WhatandEver)
Also, if I was answering a question on for example the behaviourist approach Would I have to write a strength and weakness for both operant and classical conditioning. Or would one weakness for classical and then one strength for operant be enough?
It's six marks for evaluation if I remember right? So 1 strength and 1 weakness of the operant and classical wouldn't be enough. I'd say give 3 evaluation points or 2 in detail. Easy ones could be scientific methodology of the Pavlov and Skinner, ethics of using animals, deterministic or nah etc. All the while explaining if its a strength or weakness for the behaviourist approach.
For example, "Skinner's use of rats in his experiment is detrimental to the behaviourist approach as it brings into question the validity of his results. This is because humans and rats are separate organisms. Applying the same findings of rats to humans is extrapolation. Therefore, his research findings cannot be generalised."

Though tbh his findings seem quite accurate to me (human or rat) but its an eval point.

Hope this helps, I can't sleep 😂
Baniazz
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hello ! .I sat for cambridge As psychology on November.The syllabus is made up of around 20 case studies and basics such as reaserch methords and stuff.The paper1 mostly focuses on how far you can remember each case study so in that case i almost by hearted each and every case study.wheras paper 2 mostly focuses on your creativity and evaluation skills.so I think your suggestion is right!But to a certain extent only
WhatandEver
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Just4)
It's six marks for evaluation if I remember right? So 1 strength and 1 weakness of the operant and classical wouldn't be enough. I'd say give 3 evaluation points or 2 in detail. Easy ones could be scientific methodology of the Pavlov and Skinner, ethics of using animals, deterministic or nah etc. All the while explaining if its a strength or weakness for the behaviourist approach.
For example, "Skinner's use of rats in his experiment is detrimental to the behaviourist approach as it brings into question the validity of his results. This is because humans and rats are separate organisms. Applying the same findings of rats to humans is extrapolation. Therefore, his research findings cannot be generalised."

Though tbh his findings seem quite accurate to me (human or rat) but its an eval point.

Hope this helps, I can't sleep 😂
Thanks very much!
I do AQA AS psychology, so it's 12 marks .
Just4
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Thanks very much!
I do AQA AS psychology, so it's 12 marks .
You're welcome 👍😊
abig_moo
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Sorry for hijacking this thread
How long do you spend on a 12 mark question. I need to time myself, since I feel like I'm writing a lot.

I have exactly the same issue and seem to just write and write until I look at the time and panic :eek:. My teacher said 12-15 mins max but no more, just try to get 150 words of AO1 and 150 of AO3 and then stop there- although I'm awful at this!! haha
AppleB
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Nope exam technique and answering the question clearly is important also linking A03 back to the point.
I'm doing A2 Psychology and i advise everyone to learn at least 5 PEELs as your life will be easier next year.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Arts University Bournemouth
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Thu, 12 Dec '19
  • Trinity Laban Conservatoire of Music and Dance
    Musical Theatre Undergraduate
    Fri, 13 Dec '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 18 Dec '19

Do you work while at uni?