Why is the UK schooling so confusing?!? Watch

emiliemilly
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I am an American student and I am studying abroad next year at London Met for my junior year! Could someone explain the UK school system/life to me? (I.E. grading system, how courses are run, homework/evaluation systems, and most importantly;social life...do y'all have active sports teams/greek life or is that not a thing there?) Much appreciated!
JustPadz
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I can't tell you much about London met, I go to kings college.

I can tell you about life there, and I can guess there is some overlay.

The uk grading system works like this

40% 3rd class honours.

50 percent 2:2 or lower second class honours

60% 2:1 or upper second class honours

70% first class honours

I've heard that university in the U.K. Is much more individual than in the us. As in we have less tests all of a sudden etc.

There aren't any Greek societies, but instead you will go to party with your sports team, so if you play a sport definitely go for it. If you play rugby or hockey they're the biggest uni sports in the uk so that should be fun !

Peace out !

Posted from TSR Mobile
Vav Sartrean Po
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by emiliemilly)
I am an American student and I am studying abroad next year at London Met for my junior year! Could someone explain the UK school system/life to me? (I.E. grading system, how courses are run, homework/evaluation systems, and most importantly;social life...do y'all have active sports teams/greek life or is that not a thing there?) Much appreciated!
Don't come all the way from America to study at London Met, that's all I can say...
emiliemilly
Rep:
?
That makes me super nervous........whys that? The university is the only option for me to study through....
Rohit_Rocks10
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Marshall Taylor)
Don't come all the way from America to study at London Met, that's all I can say...
I totally agree
citibankrec
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
London met is awful. Did you do any research?
threeportdrift
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You'll confuse people by calling it school. In the UK school is what you do when you are under 18, London Met is a University (just!). Years are first year, second year, third year - junior year won't be understood either.

Grading varies by University, you'd be best looking up London Met specifically. Homework is referred to as self-study or private study - depending on the course, there will be 20-30 hours per week, on top of 10-20 hours contact time, but again, your course web pages should indicate the details on that.

Lots of sports and societies, but no such thing as greek life.

London Met is considered by most as one of the worst universities in the country - think very carefully about what benefits might accrue versus the cost involved - it isn't a name that travels well or carries any value in the UK.
emiliemilly
Rep:
?
I did do quite a bit of research, and at first I was super concerned because well.... just look at the newspapers ratings! But after some more digging I found that the university rated well when done by independent studies (such as the one posted here: http://www.qaa.ac.uk/reviews-and-rep...8#.WGapmLYrKRt ) Obviously, if i intended to transplant to London I would perhaps transfer to a more prestigious university, however since it is study abroad, once my year is up, I will still be receiving my degree from my home university (which is why I am not too concerned with the reputation and more so how many experiences I will gain from living in London). And thank y'all for the tips, I don't want to sound TOO much like an American while over there
threeportdrift
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I did do quite a bit of research, and at first I was super concerned because well.... just look at the newspapers ratings! But after some more digging I found that the university rated well when done by independent studies (such as the one posted here: http://www.qaa.ac.uk/reviews-and-rep...8#.WGapmLYrKRt ) Obviously, if i intended to transplant to London I would perhaps transfer to a more prestigious university, however since it is study abroad, once my year is up, I will still be receiving my degree from my home university (which is why I am not too concerned with the reputation and more so how many experiences I will gain from living in London). And thank y'all for the tips, I don't want to sound TOO much like an American while over there
That's a generic academic standards report from 2010, it's simply a bland pass. Google 'London Met visa' to get a flavour of how it was being run shortly afterwards. Of course, it had a great change of staff and administration after 2012, but nevertheless ...
Doonesbury
  • Section Leader
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The university is the only option for me to study through....

Why? Don't you have other exchange universities to choose from?

Is your US university one of these listed by London Met:
http://www.londonmet.ac.uk/internati...seas-exchange/
Fortarna
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Don't say Y'all. It makes people think you are unintelligent
sachinisgod
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Yeah please call University, University when you're here and not 'school'. School is where we study from 4/5-16 and thats it really. Goodluck though
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day - Art, Architecture and Design Undergraduate
    Thu, 2 May '19
    Postgraduate Mini Open Evening - Art, Architecture and Design Postgraduate
    Thu, 2 May '19
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day - Holloway Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 8 May '19

Is the plastic tax enough to protect the environment?

Yes (14)
5.93%
No (222)
94.07%

Watched Threads