Keep trying or give up? Watch

Student_118
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
So I didn't get the Highers I was hoping for (for English students it's AS level equivalent) and I got AABBB

My plan is to do my advanced Highers (A Level equivalent) this year, hopefully getting AAA And resit the three I Got Bs in and reapply to veterinary medicine. Is this a realistic plan? It's just so competitive!! Will I even stand an equal chance as everyone else?
animalmagic
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I don't think the Scottish universities will be interested in you unfortunately as they want Highers of at least AAAAB at your first sitting and don't accept resits. However the English universities don't look at Higher results they want Advanced Highers of AAA so if you achieve those I think you should be fine and no need to resit your Highers. I would advise that you check each university website and hopefully that will be confirmed. Have you applied this year? If so hopefully you will get English interviews. If not then take a gap year to do plenty of work experience and apply next year would be my advice (assuming you get your 3 As).

(Original post by Student_118)
So I didn't get the Highers I was hoping for (for English students it's AS level equivalent) and I got AABBB

My plan is to do my advanced Highers (A Level equivalent) this year, hopefully getting AAA And resit the three I Got Bs in and reapply to veterinary medicine. Is this a realistic plan? It's just so competitive!! Will I even stand an equal chance as everyone else?
Student_118
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by animalmagic)
I don't think the Scottish universities will be interested in you unfortunately as they want Highers of at least AAAAB at your first sitting and don't accept resits. However the English universities don't look at Higher results they want Advanced Highers of AAA so if you achieve those I think you should be fine and no need to resit your Highers. I would advise that you check each university website and hopefully that will be confirmed. Have you applied this year? If so hopefully you will get English interviews. If not then take a gap year to do plenty of work experience and apply next year would be my advice (assuming you get your 3 As).
Yes I applied to Liverpool (rejected without interview) and Nottingham (interviewed but waiting reply). I know my chances at Scottish universities are over, I emailed them and asked and they said the only way in to do it as a post graduate.
Lizziefickling
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Student_118)
Yes I applied to Liverpool (rejected without interview) and Nottingham (interviewed but waiting reply). I know my chances at Scottish universities are over, I emailed them and asked and they said the only way in to do it as a post graduate.
What work experience do you have? You've likely been rejected before interview from Liverpool due to lack of work ex

Posted from TSR Mobile
victorialouise-
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi,

I'm currently studying Veterinary at University of Liverpool and I got in with AAB (biology, history, and chemistry) after having a year where i retook bits and pieces. If Veterinary is something you have you heart completely set on then don't give up! When it comes to liverpool WEX is key! Make sure you have lambing and the basics but then something different like a zoo or wildlife park might be good!
aponi
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hello, first of all don't give up! Yes veterinary is competitive but it isn't all about the grades. You can improve those grades as long as you work hard. Were there any exceptional circumstances surrounding those grades? Maybe you could explain the situation to the universities and explain that's why you are having to resit. If there wasn't it doesn't matter either as some of the universities do accept resits. As a postgraduate student Edinburgh and Glasgow are ridiculously expensive so either way it would probably end up cheaper to apply to the others. Like others have said as well, get loads of experience. Take a year out, build up experience, earn some money in a job and generally improve your whole application, you'll also get to see if this is the right job for you. If you know this is what you want then I would say don't waste time doing a 3 year degree you won't enjoy as much as vetmed, a year out experiencing life a little is a better option.
From my own experience I always tell people never give up, I'm applying to vetmed this year and received interviews from all four, I may not get a place from any of them but I won't know until I try. I got ill when I was first sitting my A Levels so I had to take a few years out and eventually finished them, but at the time I didn't dare apply because I thought I wasn't good enough for the course and it would be too demanding with my illness. I changed my mind this year and applied, now I have four interviews and I have never been happier because I know it's all been worth it.
For work experience I agree with the above, maybe try and find long term placements that are once a week for a long time, that shows a greater level of commitment and time management. If you are taking a year out then prove to them you are maturer and more experienced because of it, don't waste it. You don't have to travel the world, staying home and working a job with lots of work experience thrown in shows perseverance and passion for the profession.
Don't give up! You can make it happen, I wish someone had told me this when I was in your position.
Nessie162
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Just make sure you do get top grades in your Advanced Highers as resitting them is almost impossible (unless your school will let you do it).
English unis don't really look at your higher grades, but if you won't get any offers this year and you end up having a gap year, you might as well resit them for your own peace of mind. Good Luck
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of West London
    Postgraduate Open Day - Ealing Site Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Jun '19
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19
  • University of Bath
    Find out about life at the University and discover our diverse range of Undergraduate courses. Our course areas include the Sciences, Humanities & Social Sciences, Engineering & Design, and Management. Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (340)
15.73%
The paper was reasonable (1173)
54.28%
Not feeling great about that exam... (467)
21.61%
It was TERRIBLE (181)
8.38%

Watched Threads