Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Creole
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
It will totally depend on your flatmates. Obviously it is nice to be able to share, but some people may not have the same idea of sharing as you.

And I know some places get more than one fridge freezer, and you won't need to be putting too much in there, you're only eating for yourself.
loopymeg
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Depends upon your flat, really. I think that most people in halls tend to have their own stuff though, and only when in private houses do people tend to share stuff.
You'll have to keep storage in mind when shopping, so that you don't buy more than you have room to store. Hopefully you'll have honest flatmates, so nobody will bother with notes in the fridge or whatever, but I would recommend using a marker or something on milk bottles (and other common items) so that you know which is your's - it can get confusing when there's about 5 bottles of milk in the fridge...
accomoffice
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by ThisIsTheSea)
To anyone who already lives/has lived in self-catered halls:

Not sure how the shopping works - do you buy food solely for youself, or are basics generally shared e.g. pasta, rice, bread, milk.. and how one earth do you fit four people's groceries into one fridge? Do people tend to place post it notes saying "HANDS OFF!" on their tub of choc ice cream?

:confused:
I think it can be difficult to share most stuff without someone feeling they're getting a raw deal. Pasta, for instance - I know people who pretty much live on pasta and will have 5+ pasta meals a week; the flatmate who only has it once a week is going to feel a bit hard done by. Milk aswell - some people will have a couple of coffees a day; others will have 5+, and then use milk on cereals etc. And some people want skimmed, some want semi-skimmed etc etc.
My experiences (from more years ago than I care to remember) is that you may find one or 2 people in a flat to share with whose eating habits are similar to your own but that's about the most you can expect. And I'd say that in most flats, everyone pretty much keeps their own stuff.
Paeony
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
In my last flat of twelve people, we had three fridge freezers in the kitchen. That was enough for everyone to have one shelf in the fridge and one freezer shelf to themselves (everyone got to know who put there stuff where) and we each had two cupboards, one with a lock. Any spare space in the fridges was 'first come, first served', but there were never really any rows. Food did get nicked occasionally (it tended to be bread, fruit or cakes left out) but there were never any major problems. However, nobody really shared food and we didn't ever buy anything like bread, milk or pasta as a flat. Everyone bought their own stuff as stopped rows happening!
cpj1987
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
In my last flat (7 people) we all bought our own stuff, and had one shelf each in the fridge, and one in the freezer.
This year, I'm finding my new flatmates easier to get along with. We buy our own food but share things like bread, milk, mayo, butter, sauces; and we'd all be happy with people using our other stuff too because everyone's honest with each other and would buy things back; we still have our own shelf in the freezer but we share our fridge between us all - everyone leaves alone things that don't look like we should share them (i.e. yoghurts, alcohol) but share other things (milk, butter), which works well.
happydinosaur
Badges: 14
Report 11 years ago
For me it was a case of over time you get to know people and start to go shopping together and say ok let's get this item between us. After time living with people you seem to develop little agreements that is ok to use each others mayo or butter. We ended up cooking together often too which meant food sharing, for example we would decide to make something and pool whatever we had or take it in turns to shop for a meal.
Happy1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I bought all for myself because i dont like half of what my flatmates ate...

I spent about £20-£25 per week at tesco.
cpj1987
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Splodges)
I bought all for myself because i dont like half of what my flatmates ate...

I spent about £20-£25 per week at tesco.
Haha I spend that a MONTH at Tesco. Me and my careful spending...lol
Happy1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by cpj1987)
Haha I spend that a MONTH at Tesco. Me and my careful spending...lol
:eek: You must be buying tesco value vodka!!! Me... i prefer brand name... cant be doing with paintstripper lol.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of the Arts London
    MA Performance Design and Practice Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 24 Jan '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Experience Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19
  • SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19

Are you chained to your phone?