The Student Room Group

PGCE entry requirements help!

Hi there, I wondered if anybody could help me who may have been in a similar situation... I want to apply for a PGCE in primary education for September 2018 (earliest). I have a 3rd class degree in early childhood studies but have recently found out that most universities will not accept this as entry into a course.
Has anyone been in this position before and were you able to top up your degree with a particular course?? I've been told I need to do another degree but of course I would like to avoid that if possible and do something that takes much less time.
I also have early years professional status which o completed in a nursery but since talking to some universities i don't think that really means anything....

Thanks in advance!
Jennie.
Why aren't you applying for 2017 entry?

Providers will accept you, you just need to find them.
It may be that you take a SCITT route, instead of a university-based route.

You can search via degree outcome on the course search page.
http://search.gttr.ac.uk/cgi-bin/hsrun.hse/General/2017_gttr_search/gttr_search.hjx;start=gttr_search.HsForm.run
Reply 2
Original post by Findlay6
Why aren't you applying for 2017 entry?

Providers will accept you, you just need to find them.
It may be that you take a SCITT route, instead of a university-based route.

You can search via degree outcome on the course search page.
http://search.gttr.ac.uk/cgi-bin/hsrun.hse/General/2017_gttr_search/gttr_search.hjx;start=gttr_search.HsForm.run

I'm not applying until then because I'm giving myself time to get school experience, my science GCSE and to brush up on my maths as I know that's not good enough to complete the skills test even with my C in maths. I'm just trying to prepare fully so I don't get knocked back when I do apply.

The link is amazing thankyou. I think because I spoke to universities in London (they must have a much higher requirement then other universities in the West Midlands which is where I will be applying). I'll try giving Midlands based universities a e-mail and see what they say.

Thanks for the help.
Original post by Jenryd23
I'm not applying until then because I'm giving myself time to get school experience, my science GCSE and to brush up on my maths as I know that's not good enough to complete the skills test even with my C in maths. I'm just trying to prepare fully so I don't get knocked back when I do apply.

The link is amazing thankyou. I think because I spoke to universities in London (they must have a much higher requirement then other universities in the West Midlands which is where I will be applying). I'll try giving Midlands based universities a e-mail and see what they say.

Thanks for the help.

There are free sample tests on the .gov website to give you an idea of what you're tested on.
You don't need to take a university approach, you can learn on-the-job with a SCITT which may have lower entry requirements.
If you're adamant in waiting an additional year (you'd be applying October 2017), I'd strongly advise working within a school for the year. It's the best way to prepare yourself.
Reply 4
Original post by Findlay6
There are free sample tests on the .gov website to give you an idea of what you're tested on.
You don't need to take a university approach, you can learn on-the-job with a SCITT which may have lower entry requirements.
If you're adamant in waiting an additional year (you'd be applying October 2017), I'd strongly advise working within a school for the year. It's the best way to prepare yourself.

Great! Thank so so much for your help. Feel more positive now :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending