Love second hand books but.. Watch

Zebrastripes
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
I love going into second hand book stores to find my classics, but they usually cost between £2 and £3. Most people know Wordsworth Classics for £2 and Borders cheapies also for £2... but now Play.com are doing the Wordsworths for £1.50 delivered. I love second hand books so much, but i can't find anywhere to beat that price. Thought i would let people know how cheap they are (unless you live up north where charity shops are cheaper).
hobnob
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
For titles that aren't available as Wordsworth editions, charity shops are still the cheapest option, though...
the_alba
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
But Wordsworth editions are neither attractive nor scholarly. If I were to choose between a Wordsworth edition at £1.50 and a Penguin at £2, or an Oxford at £3... well, there'd be no contest.
Kater Murr
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
^^^Agreed. And sometimes in second hand book shops you can find old copies of long-forgotten book. I got a copy of Boswell's London Journal from e-bay (a lovely old hardback) for about three pounds, and the cheapest copy you can find of it online is about twenty pounds.

Second hand books 1 Amazon 0
yellow96
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
There's a cardboard box in the market near where I live which is packed with things like Jurassic Park, Brave New World, a whole bunch of Charles Dickens, and various other interesting things, for 50p each. I also found a copy of the bible which belonged to a woman in 1900, on sale for 10p, but I'm not overly thrilled about the idea of owning a bible, so I just admired it for a while.
orbelina
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I much prefer buying books second hand to getting them online. Even if it does work out cheaper online, you miss out on the thrill of finding a book you've been looking for, discovering titles you haven't heard of, the fusty smell...
It seems so souless to buy them online, although i do admit if there is a specific book i want i head straight to amazon
hobnob
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by orbelina)
I much prefer buying books second hand to getting them online. Even if it does work out cheaper online, you miss out on the thrill of finding a book you've been looking for, discovering titles you haven't heard of, the fusty smell...
Ah, but if you buy second-hand books online, you get the fusty smell as soon as you open the package.
Andy Peters
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
It's a shame because so many of the small bookshops are going out of business as a result. I am lucky enough to have a second hand bookshop on the corner of my street, and they can never afford to pay staff or anything like that.

They have a nice selection, and the obligatory box of 10p books outside though
Kater Murr
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Thelfo)
There's a cardboard box in the market near where I live which is packed with things like Jurassic Park, Brave New World, a whole bunch of Charles Dickens, and various other interesting things, for 50p each. I also found a copy of the bible which belonged to a woman in 1900, on sale for 10p, but I'm not overly thrilled about the idea of owning a bible, so I just admired it for a while.
I own a bible and I'm not religious
Still haven't read it yet though...
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I got a 3 volume leatherbound anthology on the life and times of Winston Churchill for £3 in my local bookshop. I have no need for online shopping anymore (at least not for books).
yellow96
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by BornUnderPunches)
I own a bible and I'm not religious
Still haven't read it yet though...
Oh it's not a matter of being an atheist. It's because I was forced into Catholicism and have had enough of it forced down my throat to last me a lifetime. I really have no need for a bible anymore.
vector
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I've always found the charity shops excellent for books. Play are really good though.
vector
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
To follow that up, I found a books-only Oxfam in Southampton. It was incredible - so cheap and a better selection than my local Waterstones :eek: Some weird and wonderful stuff in there ;yes;
djhworld
Report 11 years ago
I should really go to a second hand book store.

The main problem with me is if I'm in town, I tend to go into Waterstones for "a quick look" and somehow come out one hour later with three freshly purchased books.

It's an addiction I reckon! Thankfully in my "uni town" there's an oxfam book shop, which sometimes has good books to read. The only problem is when you want something specific rather then a book on a whim.
vector
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
My dad picked up a Bryson book on the English language for 30p in as new condition in Oxfam today
Tzara
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
My local Oxfam usually has some good books whenever I pop in there, and they're all 99p!

Charity shops ftw!
Segat1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I love second hand books. So much nicer than new.
Zebrastripes
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Is it just the south and london which has expensive charity shops?? I have just found out that Oxfam have a request form, so that when the book that you want comes in they will call you! I do love it when i find really old hardbacks.
Catsmeat
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by the_alba)
But Wordsworth editions are neither attractive nor scholarly. If I were to choose between a Wordsworth edition at £1.50 and a Penguin at £2, or an Oxford at £3... well, there'd be no contest.
I agree absolutely. In contrast to the badly printed Wordsworth editions the Penguin and Oxford are scholarly, informative and well printed. They are far more comfortable to read as well (in terms of paper quality and type-face).

That's if you wan't to have additional essays, bibliographies, suggested reading, maps, timelines and forewards in addition to the text itself. Personally, I do (although the Oxford can overdo it).
Angelil
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Love second hand books, I rarely buy new ones now. I recently bought a new one in an airport because I was desperate and the price was shocking! Damn airports, capitalising on their captive audience!

Plus, second-hand books just look loved You like the feeling that you're giving someone's old favourite a new home
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

The new Gillette ad. Is it:

Man-hating bullsh*t (86)
46.49%
Pro-humanity (99)
53.51%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed