interrailing advice Watch

cheerios
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
hi all,

this is my first post!
I am going interrailing in late september with two old friends, a guy and a girl for a month and have a few general questions.
I was wondering whether around 900 quid would be enough to live off - including everything (food, accomodation, travel..) I realise it would be tight but does anyone know if it would be possible, from interrailing on a similar budget? Also what should i do for shoes - is it neccessary to wear hiking boots or just trainers?

Also any general advice would be greatly appreciated
emj56
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Hey, I am going interrailing on wednesday and I am taking 900 pound also, we are mainly staying on campsites so our budget is only 200 pound or accomodation but it depends what you are staying in? We think we will have plenty though as we will be sharing food and we are going to try and do the cheaper touristy options rather than paying extortionate amounts for museums etc. x
Vikrum
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Depends where you're going, and for how long! :P
I spent half of that for a few weeks in Eastern Europe, but good food/drink is so, so much cheaper out there and hostels were only a few quid a night.
cheerios
Rep:
?
o have a great time emj56. where abouts are you going?
emj56
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I am flying out to Amsterdam, then Berlin, Krakow, Prague, Vienna, Klagenfurt, Venice, Milan, Interlaken, Lyon and then final stop Paris, away for 25 days total :-) how abouts you? x
Vikrum
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Go to Kutna Hora when you're in Prague!
The Bone Ossurary has to be seen. Every other backpacker will probably tell you to see it anyway.
cheerios
Rep:
?
O sounds good. well ours is a bit mad at the moment. all three of us want to see different places so our 'route' is
Paris
Bordeaux
Santander
Madrid
Barcelona
Andorra la Vella
Toulouse
Nice
Milan
Rome
Venice
Munich
Budapest
Bratislava
Vienne
Prague
Berlin
Luxembur
Brussels
Amsterdam

!!! Yes i realise we wont be able to do all this. unsure of what to cut- any advice?
donaldduck
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I was interrailing from the middle of July to the Middle of August. Some of the places we where were very cheap e.g. Pargue, Krakow but others were not e.g. Venice, Rome, Paris. I averaged £25 a day - This covered accommodation, food, and entrance into attractions (although we did not pay to go into that many things). Just be careful to not spend too much on food as your money really goes quickly when you do this.

Hostels I stayed in which I would recommend for you -
Paris - Woodstock hostel - about €20 a night and I think its pretty good by Paris standards

Rome - Roma Inn - Was about €22. When we booked it we did not realise that this price also included dinner which was superb. A freshly cooked 2 or 3 course meal every night. They were preparing from about 4 in the afternoon until 9 in the evening.

Venice - Wombats (the Base) - really clean and had a nice bar. You really need to get the metro form it into the centre but the wombats hostels are generally regarded as the best in Vienna.

Venice - Camping Jolly - Very cheap and we had a great cabin with air conditioning - They run a bus each day into the centre of Venice for about €4 return.

Prague - We stayed in an appartment just off Wenclesas square - If you want the details of it just ask!

Berlin - St.Christopher's - This hostel was superb. The cleanest hostel I have ever stayed in. Shortly after we arrived a cleaner came into our room (room was hugh) and proceeded to wash the door and the radiators!

Krakow - Mama's hostel - Great hostel. Had a great atmosphere as it was quite small (only 7 or 8 rooms). It was relatively noisy at night but this is due to its superb location (about 50m walk from the old town square). I was always so tired at night anyway that the noise didn't bother me.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask
Iron_Duke
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
if you book in advance for hostels you will save yourself quite a few quid. When i went i found trainers sufficient, though it depends where you go and what exactly you plan on doing. walking around in cities and generally sight seeing might be hot and sweaty in hiking boots.
cheerios
Rep:
?
thanks for the hostel reccomendations! Im so excited now. i've ordered my backpack from amazon its called the hobo slimline or something. yep i think i will just invest in some comfortable trainers. i hope to visit some cultral sites, especially some art and architecture in italy - with have to drag along the others !
Expression
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Lose Andorra. The timetable says there's no trains, only bus connections.

Couple of routes from Barca, I think hugging the Med Coast via Narbonne looks quicker.

The Narbonne route also avoids passing via La Tour de Carole, where some of the services towards Toulouse (changing for trains at Foix) are replaced by bus.

I'd switch a couple of things around on your route though for the sake of maximising the time in the cities;

from Munich
Vienna
Budapest
Bratislava
Prague
Berlin
etc.
cheerios
Rep:
?
ok thanks for the advice. i will put it to the other two.
i bought my backpack from ebay today - so excited!
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should Banksy be put in prison?

Yes (249)
14.47%
No (1472)
85.53%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed